Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:21 PM

4 posts, read 12,404 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband might accept a travel nurse contract in Weslaco to work at Knapp medical center. It will be a 13 week assignment. I was hoping for any information about the area. What part of town is the safest to live in? What areas should I stay away from? Things to do? How's the crime? Best places to eat? etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 07:48 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,391,218 times
HA. another one suckered in. thank God its only 13 weeks. i am a Texan who was out of state and desperate to come home and took a job in South Texas, not too far from the border, as an ER RN, making BIG BIG bucks (more than i have ever made in my 17 year career). I found out REAL quick why. NO such thing as a free ride. Tell him to get a Concealed Handgun License. And learn Spanish QUICK. Oh, and double up that malpractice insurance (though I heard that if you have it, you may be an easier target-debatable)...all I know is that I had NEVER EVER EVER in my career met other RN's who had been sued. Heard them talk about their "court days" week one working in the ER, and I was aghast and said "uh why were you in court"...answer "i got sued"...i looked puzzled, expressed my concern, their response was "WELCOME TO SOUTH TEXAS". highest litigation rate anywhere. for MD's, malpractice insurance rates triple south of the Nueces River. Stay away if you value your license. I ain't kidding. And if you work OBGYN, be especially skeered-you might as well just surrender your license to practice. And if you dont believe me, just see for yourself.
p.s. oh needless to say, i got out of there as soon as i could. phew. almost lost my soul there, and my life

Last edited by NOTAM; 10-28-2008 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: add

Old 10-28-2008, 10:02 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,337,784 times
Hey Belle. Maybe you should be in Mississippi or Georgia or a place that doesn't notice your biggotted comments. BTW, There is no such word as "ain't" unless you move to those places I mentioned.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:08 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,581,857 times
Ah, Weslaco. Best place to live is McAllen, about a 15 mile commute to East. I would live on the north side of town. Weslaco does not have much to do. I had a relative that worked at Knapp and will tell you it is not very well run. So I am happy to hear it is a 13 week assignment. Bellestar is exaggerating the crime. The Valley is actually one of the safest metropolitan areas in America. Spanish is helpful, definitely. As for restaurants, best mexican restaurant in Weslaco is "Cafe De Marisco" on Pike Blvd east of the high school. The best sit down restaurant is "The Blue Onion" on 1015/International Blvd. They also have several chain restaurants. Lin's Chinese Buffet is not too good and way overpriced. As for McAllen, they have lots of good stuff on Nolana and also 10th St. These are the main drags.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:31 PM

I have lived in both those states. Us redneck types are plentiful here in Texas too, ya know.
My comments may be perceived as "bigoted" to you, but I am just sharing my experiences.
The word "ain't" is in the Mirriam-Webster Dictionary, and is commonly used in Texas. You must live in the city or in South Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
Hey Belle. Maybe you should be in Mississippi or Georgia or a place that doesn't notice your biggotted comments. BTW, There is no such word as "ain't" unless you move to those places I mentioned.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:10 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,337,784 times
Nice try. You most doubt have looked at my previous comments but honestly, you are "blanketing" all of "south Texas" because of your experiences and to your benefit, your own experiences are what you know. You have to understand that maybe you and your experiences should not make everyone think that the picture you paint is not real but painted by your own brush. I do take your comments under advisement but will understand that most people render their own judgement on their own. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Forgive me for spelling errors.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:45 PM

100 posts, read 446,781 times
you know Belle for someone who hates South Texas so much you can't seem to stop talking about it.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:50 PM

well, i wish someone like me had been on here when i was taking the job down there. it would have possibly prevented me from wasting one year of my valuable life. and like i always say, i am speaking ONLY from my experience. not expecting anyone to agree with me, or support me. just simply telling folks what it was like for me. not everyone will have the same experience. but i do think people need to know how strongly steeped in Hispanic culture it is. the city data and other sites do not seem to present the demographics accurately. some people might have difficulty, or feel uneasy, about being a minority. and they need to be warned upfront. that's all. please dont try to stir the pot. accept that everyone has different likes and dislikes. end of story

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvalle_mayne View Post
you know Belle for someone who hates South Texas so much you can't seem to stop talking about it.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:52 PM

that still doesnt explain why you label me as "bigoted". and if you have read all of my posts in any of these threads, i have always said that it is MY experience i am sharing. i dont think that i have the power to make everyone think that the picture i paint is the same picture everyone will see. so, once again, i dont see anything wrong with sharing my experiences, just because they were negative. this is a forum, an exchange of ideas, viewpoints, experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA Greed View Post
Nice try. You most doubt have looked at my previous comments but honestly, you are "blanketing" all of "south Texas" because of your experiences and to your benefit, your own experiences are what you know. You have to understand that maybe you and your experiences should not make everyone think that the picture you paint is not real but painted by your own brush. I do take your comments under advisement but will understand that most people render their own judgement on their own. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Forgive me for spelling errors.

Last edited by NOTAM; 11-03-2008 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: add

Old 11-03-2008, 09:55 PM

4 posts, read 17,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccrn View Post
Hello, my husband might accept a travel nurse contract in Weslaco to work at Knapp medical center. It will be a 13 week assignment. I was hoping for any information about the area. What part of town is the safest to live in? What areas should I stay away from? Things to do? How's the crime? Best places to eat? etc.

Thanks!
Please tell us what state Weslaco is in so we cank assist your.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas