Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 PM

338 posts, read 741,217 times

Advertisements

OK. Maybe Texas could turn purple one day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 09:17 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Dallas county went 58/42 Obama/Romney. I dont know if that qualifies as a huge margin and perhaps not, but its still substantial.

For the record, DFW went 55/45 Romney/Obama and Greater Houston and San Antonio went 54/46 Romney/Obama. I wouldnt call those far right, but rather moderate with a right lean metro area wise.

Over the years, I predict the metro areas will lean slightly blue, but the state will remain red.
I wouldn't call that far right either but those margins are substantial. Given that all three cities have large Hispanic populations and 80% of Hispanics nationwide voted for Obama, I'm surprised it wasn't closer in those cities. I think the GOP will more strategic in the future and pick more Hispanic friendly candidates which will lure more voters in Texas and further than margin.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:32 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
I already said it. Republicans have a tight grip on politics in this state. They'll make sure Texas doesn't go blue anytime soon.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:19 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I already said it. Republicans have a tight grip on politics in this state. They'll make sure Texas doesn't go blue anytime soon.
Especially if the national GOP softens on social issues, which seems increasingly likely. I know many people who vote GOP if it weren't for social issues.

I just hope for a more purple state. C'mon, competition.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:27 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,630,222 times
Texas turning blue? . . . Dream on tadpole!!!!

Old 02-05-2013, 10:28 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Especially if the national GOP softens on social issues, which seems increasingly likely. I know many people who vote GOP if it weren't for social issues.

I just hope for a more purple state. C'mon, competition.
Thats my view. I dont want a blue Texas. I would love a purple Texas where we have lots of representatives from both parties.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:35 AM

933 posts, read 1,532,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
OK. Maybe Texas could turn purple one day?
Hopefully. I wish for competitive elections over single-party dominance, there will be less extremists in office since they can't run from the Far Right/Far Left.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
The link proves some Latinos don't care what party you are as long as you have a Latino sounding last name. That's pretty pathetic.
What a dumb statement,
why is it that latinos always vote 75% democratic in presidential elections? (same goes for Jews and Asians)

Old 02-05-2013, 12:40 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,345,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Its the same thing with every race really. Some AAs want AAs, some Whites want Whites, some Latinos want Latinos, etc. The main thing is the vast majority don't vote like this. It also doesn't have to be conscious either. It could be that people, due to racial similarities, tend to feel like they can relate better to someone that shares similar traits and, therefore, are more likely to listen and vote for those candidates. If anything though, its pretty clear that most Texas Hispanics don't care if your Hispanic. If you don't like their views, you don't vote for the guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
The article may imply that a very small minority of Latinos may do that, but the data shows that the 2/3 of Texas Latinos voted for the white guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What a dumb statement,
why is it that latinos always vote 75% democratic in presidential elections? (same goes for Jews and Asians)
Dopo strikes again.

Your friends on this board agreed with me.

I said that link proves SOME Latinos vote because of the way the last name looks.

Some - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Quote:
a : being one, a part, or an unspecified number of something (as a class or group) named or implied <some gems are hard>

Old 02-05-2013, 05:04 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Rick Perry and his ilk should move to Mississippi and develop that state. They are even more conservative than Texas and will accept the policies willingly since they lack a Libertarian streak. The state would benefit from their expertise in managing developed economies while those officials would enjoy the intense social conservatism propped up by Evangelical Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas