Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:44 PM

8 posts, read 72,567 times

Advertisements

I am 21 and about to make a move to the oil fields. and could use some advice.

I live in Florida and the economy has been terrible since high school. I like working with my hands and have worked in construction doing painting and heating and air work. I also enjoy working on my Honda and have changed engines, installed turbos, etc. My Dad (He's from Tx and Okla) suggested the oil fields might be a good way to get my start.

We have done a lot of research and I know it will be hard work and lots of hours. I am ready. I am ambitious and while the money is important, I am more interested in getting the best training possible and learn the business.

My questions are:

1. What companies offer the best training? I hear Halliburton is good. Any others?

2. I know I can't be picky but which jobs are the best to start in. Cement? Fracking?

3. A CDL is supposed to be a ticket for a job, but I hear some companies will train. I don't have one. My Dad suggested I look for ways to make my application a little better than the other entry level guys. We came up with OSHA training (is the OSHA 10 the certificate to get?), a CPR certificate, and a CDL learners permit. Is this worthwhile? Anything else I can do to get my foot in the door?

4. I am leaning towards Midland. I have an uncle there I have never met but I should be able to get some guidance from him. Any other suggestions?

Your help is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 09:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrepro View Post
I am 21 and about to make a move to the oil fields. and could use some advice.

I live in Florida and the economy has been terrible since high school. I like working with my hands and have worked in construction doing painting and heating and air work. I also enjoy working on my Honda and have changed engines, installed turbos, etc. My Dad (He's from Tx and Okla) suggested the oil fields might be a good way to get my start.

We have done a lot of research and I know it will be hard work and lots of hours. I am ready. I am ambitious and while the money is important, I am more interested in getting the best training possible and learn the business.

My questions are:

1. What companies offer the best training? I hear Halliburton is good. Any others?

2. I know I can't be picky but which jobs are the best to start in. Cement? Fracking?

3. A CDL is supposed to be a ticket for a job, but I hear some companies will train. I don't have one. My Dad suggested I look for ways to make my application a little better than the other entry level guys. We came up with OSHA training (is the OSHA 10 the certificate to get?), a CPR certificate, and a CDL learners permit. Is this worthwhile? Anything else I can do to get my foot in the door?

4. I am leaning towards Midland. I have an uncle there I have never met but I should be able to get some guidance from him. Any other suggestions?

Your help is appreciated
Great post, and it sounds as if you are well suited for oilfield work. I wish you luck!

My husband has worked 35 years in the oilfield and is currently an oil and gas consultant. My oldest son is about to get out of the military and will be trying to get a job in oil and gas. My husband refuses to "get him a job" though he could pick up the phone and have a job for him in fifteen minutes, and here's why - he wants him to succeed over the long haul and he doesn't want him to "get in" on another's merits. My son is in agreement with this, so here's our plan for him:

1. Get his CDL.

2. Get his HazMat certifications.

3. Depending on the VA benefits, he may go on and get some welding certifications under his belt, but that would be a luxury that would depend on whether or not the VA benefits would cover it - because he needs an income stream pretty quickly - he's 26 years old and wants to get married soon.

Your other ideas are good too - but my husband does think that a CDL and HazMat should be sufficient to break into the industry.

Once again -GOOD LUCK! When my son gets closer to looking for an actual JOB, I'll revisit the thread with any insights we gather. He's coming home in April so I guess he will start looking for a job by about July.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:45 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Just bite the bullet, get your CDL, and you're on your way. However, I should add that there are plenty of other kinds of jobs in the area. This whole area is doing very well. We've never really felt the recession much. You could come to Lubbock, get a rent by the week motel, about ($200 a week), and start looking for jobs. Housing is readily available here. You don't have to go to Midland to get oil field jobs, Levelland is also very busy oil wise and the rumors are that it will be getting a lot busier. Its only 30 miles from Lubbock.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:42 PM

That may be the smart thing to do. In Florida the schools charge $5k (A 3-4 wk school). That's a big bullet to bite. On another forum it was pointed out that there are some places that can get you a cdl for about $500. Doesn't have the same level of instruction, but is oughta work.

Only problem is I can't find a similar deal in Florida. A friend of a friend of my Dad has a trucking company and supposedly has a much better deal available. I think I'll go that way.

I'm hoping to get on with one of the biggies like Halliburton,etc. The money will be nice but I'm really looking for training.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:45 PM

308 posts, read 638,315 times
You have a great attitude, kid. You'll do well.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:55 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrepro View Post
That may be the smart thing to do. In Florida the schools charge $5k (A 3-4 wk school). That's a big bullet to bite. On another forum it was pointed out that there are some places that can get you a cdl for about $500. Doesn't have the same level of instruction, but is oughta work.

Only problem is I can't find a similar deal in Florida. A friend of a friend of my Dad has a trucking company and supposedly has a much better deal available. I think I'll go that way.

I'm hoping to get on with one of the biggies like Halliburton,etc. The money will be nice but I'm really looking for training.
You've got a good head on your shoulders and a great attitude and have thought this out good. The oil field is a great place to work hard and succeed. Welcome to Texas or Oklahoma both as well as ND are great places to get your start in this great business.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:21 PM

thanks for the encouragement fellas

One of my questions that hasn't had much response was #2 on my OP.

If you veterans were starting today which career path would you take? and Why? I had a couple people on another forum recommend MWD.

What would you do and what would be your preferred first job? Or does your first job make a difference?

Thanks again

Old 02-25-2013, 12:36 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
First job is only a first job. You get your feet wet, learn the business, and you work hard to prove your a reliable employee. Once you prove that and keep your nose clean, then the doors to all kinds of opportunities present themselves, and may lead you in directions you never dreamed of. Everyone starts at the bottom. So don't get your heart set on one thing. Some people do that, put themselves through all kinds of grief, get their "dream job", then find out it sucks. Just get started, and learn all you can and you'll figure out later what you like and what you don't want to do.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:40 AM

Makes sense. I guess I was thinking if I started in cementing or fracking I would be locked in there.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:48 AM

27 posts, read 105,702 times
Default ...

Well testing. aka, flowback. You'll start out making upwards of 60 to 80k a year with no experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas