Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:21 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I would second this. If you are really itching to move to Texas and you have no job, the most sure fire place to find one is the Midland/Odessa area.
For a webmaster and a bookkeeper? Only if one of them wants to go work in the oil fields. They should stick with Plan A... DFW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 10:38 PM

30 posts, read 44,843 times
What do you all mean by bad housing market?

Old 04-27-2013, 08:19 AM

751 posts, read 1,482,694 times
Not a "bad" housing market, just that you will be incredibly hard pressed to find housing of any sort moving to Odessa/Midland. Housing is very tight because there are very many more people living there than there are houses. Big, big boom going on.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
Not a "bad" housing market, just that you will be incredibly hard pressed to find housing of any sort moving to Odessa/Midland. Housing is very tight because there are very many more people living there than there are houses. Big, big boom going on.
And the boom is mostly in the oil and gas industry. Probably not a huge number of jobs for web masters. It is also high plains desert, and we Texas has been in a drought for the last two years. I think your family is better off moving to the Dallas area. Tyler Texas is a really nice small town, if you can find work there. You stand a better chance finding work in Dallas, with future plans to move to Tyler if you can find something to support yourself there later.

Data for each city:

//www.city-data.com/city/Dallas-Texas.html

ttp://www.city-data.com/city/Tyler-Texas.html

Near the bottom is a list of businesses, probably not all businesses.

These links may help:

https://wit.twc.state.tx.us/WORKINTE...kiecheckflag=1

Texas Workforce Commission - Workforce and Unemployment Resources

Job Search Resources and Information ? Texas Workforce Commission

Home - Dallas Regional Chamber Look at the membership guide for lists of major businesses.

Tyler Chamber of Commerce - Membership Directory

Old 04-29-2013, 05:16 PM

CptnRn, thank you for the information. It was useful. The small town appeals to me and my family but I must go where the jobs are. Your right, we could start in Dallas and move the Tyler later. I've also been contemplating Fort Worth which seems to also have a small town feel.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:44 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuafollower View Post
CptnRn, thank you for the information. It was useful. The small town appeals to me and my family but I must go where the jobs are. Your right, we could start in Dallas and move the Tyler later. I've also been contemplating Fort Worth which seems to also have a small town feel.
Fort Worth does not have a small town feel. It is a piece of one of the largest metroplexes you will ever see. It does have jobs. Start there, then get picky.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:10 PM

Thanks Ez. Just might do that.

BTW, I understand BK's frustration. After reading his past posts, I feel the same way about the area I'm leaving. However, I'm doing the research before moving. Plus I've come to the conclusion that if I must be poor and unemployed, I'd rather be so in Texas. I hear the people are so super friendly and there are plenty of super friendly churches.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:46 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Oklahoma has some small towns with low unemployment too. Durant is around 1.5 hrs to Dallas and has a good job market and lower cost of living then DFW. OK does have a state income tax but not too high a rate. Just another option for you. Yes I recommend getting a job before moving but if I lived where you did I would violate the rule and get the heck out of there now...once you decide where to move.....

Old 04-30-2013, 09:06 AM

John, you seem familiar with where we live. We actually have been considering Oklahoma.

I just learned that my Nevada unemployment benefits will travel with me, so I'll have $400 a week to live on as well as the money saved up.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:37 AM

A company in Irving wants to set up an interview with me. I'm excited! Is Irving a good place to move my family (cost of living and crime) or should I consider a nearby community close to work (assuming I get the job)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas