Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 07:57 PM

62 posts, read 152,003 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job offer in this area, and I have a few questions about housing. I know, large college town, but what's the best place to look for rentals for families? We have five kids, so apartments are not so appealing (for the sake of other residents as much as ours). The pay is...well, the pay is pretty horrible, but my husband's field has taken a drastic down turn along with the economy, and this might be the best we can find. What's a reasonable range to expect to pay for either a 4-bedroom place or a large 3-bedroom? (We are talking teenagers here--they can share rooms but there has to be enough room for them to fit.) And am I right in assuming that Bryan is more likely to have single family rentals than College Station? Any areas to particularly avoid?

Schools--our kids do extremely well in school and are more the books and orchestra type than the football type. Given that, is there a district you'd suggest over the other?

What kind of outdoor recreation is available? We love hiking and nature.

Are the tornadoes as bad as Arkansas and Oklahoma? Do houses have any basements? (I lived in the Tyler area as a middle schooler and remember them being scary, but we didn't have any kind of adequate shelter, either.)

Things you love about this area? I like getting to know new places, but I admit the salary is not very convincing. If there are other things to look forward to, that would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 03:00 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
College Station is the better town

Old 06-01-2013, 03:01 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
go to the Daytripper tv series website and watch the episode on College Station.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:14 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
According to this list by San Francisco-based Lumosity College Station-Bryan, TX is the 11th smartest town in the United States. BTW NO other Texas city made the top 100 ?

Check out the top 100 list of “America’s smartest cities” below to see if your town made the cut.

1. Ithaca, NY
2. State College, PA
3. Lafayette-West Lafayette, IN
4. Iowa City, IA
5. Ames, IA
6. Ann Arbor, MI
7. Bloomington, IN
8. Madison, WI
9. Lawrence, KS
10. Pullman, WA
11. College Station-Bryan, TX
12. Appleton, WI
13. Champaign-Urbana, IL
14. Blacksburg-Christiansburg-Radford, VA
15. Charlottesville, VA

Read more at These are the 100 smartest cities in America (study) | VentureBeat

Old 08-04-2013, 12:18 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
get ready to become an Aggie.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:15 PM

83 posts, read 311,135 times
Quote:
What's a reasonable range to expect to pay for either a 4-bedroom place or a large 3-bedroom? (We are talking teenagers here--they can share rooms but there has to be enough room for them to fit.) And am I right in assuming that Bryan is more likely to have single family rentals than College Station? Any areas to particularly avoid?
There are areas in College Station that are a bit sketchy (mostly in and around apartment complexes) but some areas in Bryan are even worse.

Quote:
Schools--our kids do extremely well in school and are more the books and orchestra type than the football type. Given that, is there a district you'd suggest over the other?
CSISD.

Quote:
What kind of outdoor recreation is available? We love hiking and nature.
A collection of parks, but nothing too exciting. There's also a lake used for cooling the power plant.

Quote:
Are the tornadoes as bad as Arkansas and Oklahoma?
No.

Quote:
Do houses have any basements?
For the most part, no.

Quote:
Things you love about this area? I like getting to know new places, but I admit the salary is not very convincing. If there are other things to look forward to, that would help.
I would recommend looking at Wikimapia and examining places around College Station. There are some good restaurants and decent stores. Probably an improvement over Tyler.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:34 PM

23 posts, read 57,183 times
rlcg37... did you end up in College Station or Bryan after all? We are looking to relocate, as well, and I would love your feedback. I am SCARED TO DEATH of tornadoes, so that is a concern (lived in Forth Worth for a couple of years), especially now that I have a little boy to worry about. Not to mention the softball-size hail... that's always fun.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:01 PM

83 posts, read 311,135 times
I've never heard of softball-size hail in the area. Tornadoes do rarely happen: the last one was in 2006, and forced the demolition of an apartment building (a run-down two-story building from the 1970s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas