Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 01:10 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Whether right or wrong, it's not a function of government to decide anything about pregnancy. If you grant a government the right to restrict abortion, you also grant it the right to force abortion.
Replace the word "abortion" with "murder" and read it again,

Old 06-26-2013, 01:36 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
What did Lautenberg say?
Laubenberg is a moron

House Debates Omnibus Abortion Bill - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the Republicans who are in the State Capitol tonight have just lost their privileges to call themselves Texans, because they have tarnished the State and that's unacceptable.

And I'm not a Democrat, but right is right, and they're so far out of touch with reality that it's embarrassing.
Tried to rep you but couldn't.

Couldn't agree more. I was so proud of all of Wendy's supporters at the Capitol.

Senate Spectators Voice Disgust With Ruling - YouTube

Protesters, Lawmakers React to Abortion Vote - YouTube

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 06-26-2013 at 01:50 AM..

Old 06-26-2013, 03:36 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
Abortion is so fundamentally wrong. My God, are there any pro-life folks left out there?
I'm pro-life.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:50 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,168 times
Keep alienating women, GOP. I love them Democratic victories!

Old 06-26-2013, 04:38 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
Texas' lieutenant governor declares the vote to pass the bill too late!

See: Texas Vote Passing Abortion Bill is Rendered Moot

and: Marathon speech helps Democrats block Texas abortion bill

Great job, Wendy, in spite of 'em all!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-26-2013 at 04:47 AM..

Old 06-26-2013, 06:17 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
Unfortunately she had three penalties under the Texas filibuster rules and just lost her ability to continue the Filibuster. With the Super majority this is all over.

Challenge upheld; filibuster all but over | www.statesman.com
Not over till the fat lady sings ~ and sing they did!

Old 06-26-2013, 06:29 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
Keep alienating women, GOP. I love them Democratic victories!
This was a victory for all women.

It certainly didn't alienate me from the Republican party any more than when an unpopular bill proposed by Democrats (and slated towards a particular group) would alienate a Democrat.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:41 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Thank you Wendy for showing the world that Texas is not a right winger, 1500s religious nut job state! (yet...)

Old 06-26-2013, 06:54 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,154 times
I am admittedly torn on the issue of abortion. I have struggled with this issue for my entire adult life. I do believe in a woman's right to chose, but I also believe that a human life is held in the balance. It isn't as simple an issue as the two main political parties paint it to be. Admittedly, it is hard to be completely objective on the issue when news items like the Gosnell trial are included in the discussion. My sticking point comes from the scientific issues involved. Medical science has established milestones of the gestation process. Things like when a fetal heartbeat is present, when the fetus can feel pain, etc. The thing that I find the most striking about the issue is the lack of a uniform view of the value of human life from either party. For Republicans, the basis of the pro-life argument is that abortion will take a human life, yet capital punishment enjoys relatively broad support among the same caucus. For Democrats, there is broad opposition to capital punishment on the basis that killing, even in the name of justice is wrong, but there is not the same level of interest in protecting human life with regards to abortion.....

Old 06-26-2013, 06:59 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
I am admittedly torn on the issue of abortion. I have struggled with this issue for my entire adult life. I do believe in a woman's right to chose, but I also believe that a human life is held in the balance. It isn't as simple an issue as the two main political parties paint it to be. Admittedly, it is hard to be completely objective on the issue when news items like the Gosnell trial are included in the discussion. My sticking point comes from the scientific issues involved. Medical science has established milestones of the gestation process. Things like when a fetal heartbeat is present, when the fetus can feel pain, etc. The thing that I find the most striking about the issue is the lack of a uniform view of the value of human life from either party. For Republicans, the basis of the pro-life argument is that abortion will take a human life, yet capital punishment enjoys relatively broad support among the same caucus. For Democrats, there is broad opposition to capital punishment on the basis that killing, even in the name of justice is wrong, but there is not the same level of interest in protecting human life with regards to abortion.....
On the Republican side there is a huge interest in having the government out of your life until they want the government to ban abortions by law...

I am not confused about the issue at all. I am also pro capital punishment in certain circumstances and pro choice. I do not think that the two are related or conflicting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas