Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 11:58 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
One-way frontage roads are great but have you ever tried frontage roads with 2-way traffic on them? Plainview, Texas has 2-way traffic in their frontage roads along I-27. One has to be alert when driving on them or you could "head-on" a vehicle coming off the Interstate or, if you're exiting the Interstate, you could hit a car coming toward you on the frontage road.
I love two way frontage roads and was desolate when my little town got too big for its britches and forgot its rural routes and they were made one way frontage roads. Nowhere near as efficient, and it's really not hard - you should be paying attention when entering or exiting the highway no matter whether the frontage road is one way or two way, and its just as easy to be hit by a car that ignores the yield sign when exiting a highway onto a one way frontage road.

However, I'm very much on board with frontage road love in general!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 12:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I love two way frontage roads and was desolate when my little town got too big for its britches and forgot its rural routes and they were made one way frontage roads. Nowhere near as efficient, and it's really not hard - you should be paying attention when entering or exiting the highway no matter whether the frontage road is one way or two way, and its just as easy to be hit by a car that ignores the yield sign when exiting a highway onto a one way frontage road.

You got that right...and thank God for frontage roads in Austin. Wow.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:04 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,976,193 times
I love access roads too.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:33 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

I cant even count how many times I've seen people just blow through those yield signs.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:14 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
I cant even count how many times I've seen people just blow through those yield signs.
You bet they do!

Then on the other hand, I've seen people exiting the freeway and I've slowed to a crawl, holding back, yielding to them so they had all the room in the world to come on down into the service road and I'll be damned if they won't just come to a stop, waiting for me, I guess. I wouldn't think it would be so hard to understand what a yield sign means, especially when it's placed on the service road (meaning yield to ramp and I think most of them actually spell that out) so why would someone coming off the freeway ramp where there is NO yield sign go and yield to the service road?

Whoa! Don't answer that question just yet! LOL I know a person is going to yield to the dumb ass who is blowing right through the yield sign on the service road if they have a common lick of sense and they don't want to push the issue and get creamed for doing it. LOL Such a thing as being in the right, but also such a thing a being dead right.

But yielding to someone who is already yielding to them? OMG It can get crazy!

Old 08-25-2013, 03:46 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
You bet they do!

Then on the other hand, I've seen people exiting the freeway and I've slowed to a crawl, holding back, yielding to them so they had all the room in the world to come on down into the service road and I'll be damned if they won't just come to a stop, waiting for me, I guess. I wouldn't think it would be so hard to understand what a yield sign means, especially when it's placed on the service road (meaning yield to ramp and I think most of them actually spell that out) so why would someone coming off the freeway ramp where there is NO yield sign go and yield to the service road?

Whoa! Don't answer that question just yet! LOL I know a person is going to yield to the dumb ass who is blowing right through the yield sign on the service road if they have a common lick of sense and they don't want to push the issue and get creamed for doing it. LOL Such a thing as being in the right, but also such a thing a being dead right.

But yielding to someone who is already yielding to them? OMG It can get crazy!
Yep thats all very true. Yeah I approach very carefully where the other guy/gal is supposed to yield just in case they dont. That saved me on quite a few occasions. You can usually spot the person who isnt going to yield. But sometimes.......lol

Old 08-25-2013, 04:05 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
I believe Plainview considered making their service roads all one way a few months ago but I guess it didn't go any where. Not enough people and traffic up there I guess. They're probably lucky to have an Interstate but it sure makes for a short trip between Amarillo and Lubbock.

Most of our small towns out here on the South Plains don't even have loops around them. They all seem to have 40-year old "plans" at City Hall for a loop but no loops yet. The old timers will show you where on their property the loop is supposed to go if it is ever built.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:02 PM

624 posts, read 906,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
They are special type of road first developed by the famous French civil engineer Louis Frontage (Lou-wee Frone-tazh). Some people think that they are called frontage roads because they "front" the freeway, but that doesn't make sense since they are on both sides. How can both sides be the front? One side should be backage roads. But whatever its a moot point since we know they were designed by Frontage and the name is just a coincidence.
I will admit I thought because they front the freeway. I never thought of "backage" now I know better thanks for the info. I disliked the two way frontage/access roads prefer the one way IH 35 had some two way between Selma and New Braunfels, I think they gone now.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:21 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
OP is absolutely right. I wasn't born here, but I love it here and have no intention of ever leaving. And its the whole thing, I live in west Texas and just came through some of the most sparsely populated parts of Texas returning home. I love that too.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:26 PM

31 posts, read 43,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You got that right...and thank God for frontage roads in Austin. Wow.
So I see this thread has digressed from love of Texas, to love of frontage roads ! Nothing can make a heart grow fonder than the thought of driving down a really good frontage road, past a strip center, to a stop light next to a self service gas station. Ah all the good memories of making right turns on a red light really make me smile

You were rightith about one thing me lady. I amith a GOOBER thou douth not protest, for me gooberision is a blessed curse......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas