Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 02:17 PM
RGV

570 posts, read 3,221,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
like Laredo, Brownsville, or even Corpus Christi (much uglier, dangerous, etc...).

Oh boy, this is war!!!!

It is sad that putting down an area of Texas or another city is all one can think of doing.

I try to see what is unique and interesting in an area and city.

Last edited by RGV; 12-24-2007 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 08:22 PM

5 posts, read 16,714 times
Default Hello!

Thanks to those who responded but I'm just wondering when I went to McAllen the only sign-on bonus was $10,000 for 2 years.My friend who signed up 2years ago got $50,000 for 4yrs.Wow!And those for 2years got $25,000.

I just want to know if anybody has a clue if there's any hospital in Texas that buys your contract from a present hospital?I'd be really happy to know.I'm really getting sick of this hospital I'm in.Thanks again.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:28 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times
why would you have to have a hospital buy out your contract? all you do is quit, take your sign on bonus at your new hospital, and pay back the pro-rated amount left on your current contract? easy as that! i am an RN and have done that several times!
as an RN, you can write your own ticket! no sense in being miserable one more day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN_brat View Post
Thanks to those who responded but I'm just wondering when I went to McAllen the only sign-on bonus was $10,000 for 2 years.My friend who signed up 2years ago got $50,000 for 4yrs.Wow!And those for 2years got $25,000.

I just want to know if anybody has a clue if there's any hospital in Texas that buys your contract from a present hospital?I'd be really happy to know.I'm really getting sick of this hospital I'm in.Thanks again.

Last edited by NOTAM; 12-27-2007 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: add

Old 01-11-2008, 08:45 PM

5 posts, read 16,714 times
Default um!

I forgot to mention that I have a 3year contract with the hospital and they only allow us to leave if we pay for the amount in cash.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:04 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times
they cant force you to stay. they might could put you in collections if you dont pay em back, but NO employer can force you to stay, unless you are in the military!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN_brat View Post
I forgot to mention that I have a 3year contract with the hospital and they only allow us to leave if we pay for the amount in cash.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:36 AM

5 posts, read 16,810 times
unless you plan on becoming a drug kingpin, McAllen would be the best choice for you. Booming city, becoming more diverse every year and cheap to live in, and if your white youll find a date in no time.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:28 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,147,347 times
I guess I will chime in. In the late 90's and early 2000's, I was consulting for a company and spent a great deal of time in the RGV. I never felt unsafe. People were friendly everywhere I went and everywhere I called on folks. There were many people who spoke Spanish, and I sometimes had trouble understanding them, but it was not a major problem...(My Spanish and their English were about equal.) I wonder if some of the fears listed on this forum are simply fears of being around people who are different in culture and language from those we are used to seeing in other cities. (And, I am not saying that anyone's real experiences that are on the forum didn't happen.) I am sure there was crime in the area then, but I never saw it, got involved in it, or was kidnapped. When I was not working, I drove around the communities and saw some great neighborhoods that seemed safe and secure. I really liked flying in and out of both Brownsville and McAllen. There were friendly folks open to meeting with me in both communities and the areas surrounding them. I enjoyed the cultural differences. Truthfully, I was never in Laredo, so I have no comments on that area.

And, I guess I might as well talk about Odessa. Frankly, there have been drugs in that area too. My aunt and two uncles were involved in heroin dealing in Odessa. In fact, two of them were murdered there. (This is the dark side of the family. My parents and my immediate family were never involved.) So, that kind of thing can happen anywhere. In fact, my aunt was murdered in Lubbock when she moved there from Odessa and continued dealing. The RGV does not have a monopoly on drugs and murders.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:41 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,147,347 times
By the way, my previous post in no way is intended to imply that Odessa and Lubbock have major drug problems.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:40 AM

5 posts, read 16,810 times
[quote=Muhnay;2032730]As for being born and raised in El Paso TX, and have traveled down to Laredo, and McAllen and Brownsville, I know what I am talking about../quote]

Well I actually LIVED in McAllen, so no sir, you DON'T know what your talking about. You're just a guy who happened to stop by for a minute, your not like us natives who were raised here all our lives. And I'll put money on it that every single one of us will still take a walk in our own neighborhoods late at night by ourselves no problem. You mean to tell me, a grown man like yourself is that much of a coward? For godsakes man, when I was SEVEN I was walking to and from my friends house 4 blocks from my house, alone and at night with drug dealers and hoodlums roaming the streets at the same time. And you mean to tell me a grown man like yourself is pissing himself over a couple of news articles??? Shhh, no wonder women think males are a bunch of cowards now and days....I bet I could scare you till you pissed yourself if I confronted you late at night in the streets (if you even have the fortitude to be out that late) and Im not even a criminal! Im just a reg. kid who works hard, goes to school and takes care of my business....wow man your pathetic.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:22 PM

3 posts, read 8,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Stay FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR away from the Texas/Mexico border. Texas south of San Antonio is practically a third-world country.
That's not true!

Mcallen is a huge retail area with new businesses, houses, and hotels popping up in what seems to be every direction! Lately McAllen just built a $63 million convention center, received a P.F. Changs, BJ's Brewery, and Cracker Barrel. There is also talk over plans to build some high rise condos and expanding the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas