Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 05:23 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,359,434 times

Advertisements

only an hour away from Austin at most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 10:30 AM

240 posts, read 344,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
Temple is kind of middle of nowhere, but you can get away to the bigger cities with a short trip.

Actually there are a bunch of stores cropping up in Temple and it has some charm.

We live about an hour south in Round Rock.

There are medical centers, and the VA in the Temple area.

You are a couple hours away from Dallas and a couple hours away from Austin.
Question: My husband may be taking a transfer to his company's plant in Temple (Mars) and I was wondering if Georgetown or Round Rock would be possible for his commute. We just moved to Buford, Ga (45 min outside of Atlanta) and now may be moving again. I am originally from Ca. but have lived in Columbia, SC for 10yrs, which I hated. I'm not sure if Temple/Belton if for us so I'm trying to check out other areas also.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:30 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoutofsc View Post
Question: My husband may be taking a transfer to his company's plant in Temple (Mars) and I was wondering if Georgetown or Round Rock would be possible for his commute. We just moved to Buford, Ga (45 min outside of Atlanta) and now may be moving again. I am originally from Ca. but have lived in Columbia, SC for 10yrs, which I hated. I'm not sure if Temple/Belton if for us so I'm trying to check out other areas also.
Here's the thing: I live in Georgetown and head up toward Temple regularly. Temple is about 40 miles from Georgetown, but that is if you take I-35. I-35 can be the road from hell, depending on the whims of traffic. There is ongoing (and what seems to be perpetual) construction which causes delays. 35 is a main north-south traffic corridor for goods moving between Canada, Mexico and the US so there is a constant stream of tractor-trailers moving 24/7. One accident can create terrible delays. Right now it's 9:20 PM here in Georgetown and Google Maps is telling me that travel time to Mars in Temple is 1 hour and 7 minutes. Round Rock is further south and would take even longer. There are alternative routes, such as TX 95, but they are longer and won't get you there any sooner.

So, yes, it's possible to commute to Temple from the Georgetown area, but I sure wouldn't want to do it.

Harker Heights to the west is nice as is Belton, and both would be a far easier commute. There are quite a few small towns surrounding Temple if you like living in a more rural area. It's farm country; nice people, close enough to Waco and Austin and some nice state parks for day trips and cultural outings.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:08 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithshe View Post
Hi everyone..I am 55 yrs old and my kids and I are going to relocate to Temple or Belton..I have never been there...I am a 6th generation Californian...so please give me the heads up regarding the weather???Im kinda scared, but I think it's time....serious responses only please....
Those are very odd towns to move to, coming from California. They are small and ...uh... somewhat backwards. By Texas standards, they may not be too unusual from other smaller towns in TX, but you'll find quite a bit of military and redneck thinking that will stand out to you, coming from CA. The military base Fort Hood is in that area, and you'll encounter a lot of far-right and southern bravado there.

You'd probably be much better off in the Hill Country, or in the larger cities (Dallas, Houston, etc.), and have a more diverse mentality and culture, i.e. more like California.

The weather (there or elsewhere) should probably be the least of your worries.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:29 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Here's the thing: I live in Georgetown and head up toward Temple regularly. Temple is about 40 miles from Georgetown, but that is if you take I-35. I-35 can be the road from hell, depending on the whims of traffic. There is ongoing (and what seems to be perpetual) construction which causes delays. 35 is a main north-south traffic corridor for goods moving between Canada, Mexico and the US so there is a constant stream of tractor-trailers moving 24/7. One accident can create terrible delays. Right now it's 9:20 PM here in Georgetown and Google Maps is telling me that travel time to Mars in Temple is 1 hour and 7 minutes. Round Rock is further south and would take even longer. There are alternative routes, such as TX 95, but they are longer and won't get you there any sooner.

So, yes, it's possible to commute to Temple from the Georgetown area, but I sure wouldn't want to do it.

Harker Heights to the west is nice as is Belton, and both would be a far easier commute. There are quite a few small towns surrounding Temple if you like living in a more rural area. It's farm country; nice people, close enough to Waco and Austin and some nice state parks for day trips and cultural outings.
Ya,I-35 can be really bad.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:23 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times
I have lived all over the world and the one thing I learned is no place is like the place you just left. You have to put the last place behind you and not keep comparing it to the new place. Temple, Belton will be fine as long as you look at it as anew adventure and its your home!

Old 01-09-2017, 08:47 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Those are very odd towns to move to, coming from California. They are small and ...uh... somewhat backwards. By Texas standards, they may not be too unusual from other smaller towns in TX, but you'll find quite a bit of military and redneck thinking that will stand out to you, coming from CA. The military base Fort Hood is in that area, and you'll encounter a lot of far-right and southern bravado there.

You'd probably be much better off in the Hill Country, or in the larger cities (Dallas, Houston, etc.), and have a more diverse mentality and culture, i.e. more like California.

The weather (there or elsewhere) should probably be the least of your worries.

Because everybody should think like those in California do, right? Here's the thing, for all of the the Californian's moving to Texas, and there are thousands of them, why try to remake Texas into where you left? You left for a reason, in most cases employment. Why would you try to remake Texas into California then? You covered all the bases in a relatively short post. Bash Texas? Check. Bash the military? Check. Praise CA? Check.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:37 PM

1,098 posts, read 902,825 times
Quote:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a redneck. And who said conservatives aren't diverse? The far left is no more open-minded than the far right

For valuing diversity you sure are sound pretty closed-minded. Stop bashing people who think differently from you.

Last edited by Jame22; 01-12-2017 at 08:51 PM..

Old 01-14-2017, 06:28 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Because everybody should think like those in California do, right? Here's the thing, for all of the the Californian's moving to Texas, and there are thousands of them, why try to remake Texas into where you left? You left for a reason, in most cases employment. Why would you try to remake Texas into California then? You covered all the bases in a relatively short post. Bash Texas? Check. Bash the military? Check. Praise CA? Check.
Not sure what to make of any of that. I was neither alleging that Californians try to change TX (which is a myth and stereotype, not to mention impossible to execute), nor was I bashing TX (something I'd never do). I was basically taking the OP's likely background, and recommending steering away from a place like Belton/Temple in favor of some other area in Texas that they'd probably be happier with. Pretty straightforward stuff.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:03 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,604 times
Quote:
Not sure what to make of any of that. I was neither alleging that Californians try to change TX (which is a myth and stereotype, not to mention impossible to execute), nor was I bashing TX (something I'd never do). I was basically taking the OP's likely background, and recommending steering away from a place like Belton/Temple in favor of some other area in Texas that they'd probably be happier with. Pretty straightforward stuff.
Save your contention that Californians aren't trying to change Texas for someone who didn't have neighbors on three sides from CA. It isn't a myth or stereotype, I experienced it first hand. As to the rest of your screed, outside California, terms like redneck, and your categorization of the military are commonly seen as demeaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas