Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 11:01 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times

Advertisements

The way the financial rags talk about Texas you'd think it were the United Arab Emirates by comparison. It's experiencing a boom largely impacted by energy. People are flocking in and rapid development is spawning in all the major cities.

But just what is the real news going on over there? My friend keeps telling me to dump LA and come back to Houston where it's booming. Another friend compared inner loop Houston to living in LA or NYC, it's changed that much. I keep reading how young professionals are swarming the place and the scene is lively. It's as though there's a go-go vibrant energy in Houston, Austin and Dallas.

If I had to go back I would start off in Houston. How would you guys say the scene is for young professionals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 12:58 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,439 times
ive never been to dubai to experience their boom but unless you specialize in that field of energy/gas, i dont think theres any reason to go back to houston. imo, having lived where youre at now for a year, and also traveling much of the southwest U.S. another year, the quality of life still lacks a bunch for me in houston. even a cushiony 70k gig in houston wouldnt keep me here long term. but... houston does have that big city urban feel going right now. its not LA or any west coast area because thats a different vibe. id say more eastern/north business oriented like nyc.

overall, the scene for young professionals is pretty positive, but again what are your priorities and interests? i feel there are many who make 50-75k who have that business/better than you swagger with their luxury car lol. kinda feels materialistic when i can go out to LA and see someone who looks like a bum at a grocery store and humbly get into his clk mercedes benz. if you like that big city, fast paced, big buildings, make money, buy shiny things, then houston is a fit. if you like a place where its not a rat race, outdoor stuff to do instead of things to buy, then houston prob shouldnt be at the top of the list.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:23 PM

That's one of the downsides to Houston I hear from my friends that with all the growth and the boom that in the inner core the young professional life is also turning a bit douchey. Since there is a lack of outdoor life, the main attraction is to use your high salary to stretch it out as far as it can go in a city with a relatively low cost of living. That means buying the shiny car, the nice loft, the nice clothes and partying at the hot spots.

Yes, LA is way more boho chic than Houston but Houston is where its at right now and from what I hear its positives also bring a few downsides like the keeping up with the joneses.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:35 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,635,276 times
You seem way to boho chic for Texas or H-town. Stay put!

Jones

Old 05-18-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
You seem way to boho chic for Texas or H-town. Stay put!

Jones
I'm far from boho chic. I actually think its a bit silly. They may dress a bit more casual here but it's still stylish and an image driven look.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:49 PM

433 posts, read 660,849 times
Houston is more real than LA....LA is a joke and overrated blah

Old 05-18-2014, 07:45 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Dubai was bankrupt at one point. I don't think so.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:17 PM

I just meant the immense growth of the city and how fast it developed. Not to mention the large professional class that emerged from it all and how it spurned development.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:42 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,488,270 times
Texas is Texas, and I wish people would just leave it at that. I don't understand why people stereotype all the time. We are not the UAE, or California. Our economy is not all energy based either. I only know a handful of people who work in energy. Plus, our population is nearly triple the size of the UAE, our GDP is more than triple the size of the UAE's, and we don't have the nutty religious laws here either (well not as bad).

The UAE is a backwards country with a horrible human rights record, and they will NEVER be as good as us as long as they stay that way.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:39 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I just meant the immense growth of the city and how fast it developed. Not to mention the large professional class that emerged from it all and how it spurned development.
Don't forget the slave labor that made it possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas