Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 11:22 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times

Advertisements

Well it's sunny today, FINALLY, so I can continue blabbing about this or I can go out and enjoy it during the seemingly 3 seconds it's still here. Otherwise, when it does rain, and I gripe about how I can't do anything outside, well where was all of that excitement about outdoor activities on my part when it WASN'T raining?

Before I do, another thing is that this spurt was reminding me somewhat of 2007. I don't know if anyone in the eastern TX area remembers that, but that period was just nuts. If I recall, it broke all-time records for May/June/July, all 3 months, for most rainfall for each respective month ever, all-time. (That's how I remember it anyway.) It was bad enough that when it finally started tapering off in mid-July, they did a newspaper article about people going on their first-ever vacations, they were talking about how it was the latest they had ever waited into the summer period for vacationing. They were talking about how sparse the various spots were even on Memorial Day and such, and how people were just now starting to do outdoor activities in mid-July, and it was because it had rained so relentlessly from May-July.

That's what I'm getting at. It should NEVER be like that, EVER. Yes, the lakes have to be replenished and crops have to grow, but there NO WAY that they could POSSIBLY need THAT much rain to get such things taken care of. If so, they're being pigs. That is what I liked so much about AZ when I was there--they only received 12 inches of rain per year (other places received even less), yet there were STILL plenty in terms of food, lakes, water for household needs, even water for people to have pools. The particular wildlife and plants there did just FINE with that more sparse amounts. Heck the Phoenix area only receives 6 inches of rain a year, yet has the Salt River and various lakes. So I'm like "don't tell me we HAVE to have that much, AZ proves you wrong."

I realize TX isn't AZ, neither was NC, but it's like--man, the things that live around here, man they're such PIGS with needing THAT much water all the time. I'm fine with it most times, until it goes to raining off-on for 6 consecutive days. That's just entirely too much. Rain once every 8-15 days or so, maybe 2-3 days out of 10 once in awhile or so.

What was that again about me getting off the computer and going outside and enjoying the sun? If I don't today, that's MY fault. Time to get out of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 11:26 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
It should NEVER be like that, EVER.
Are you related to the guy whining about the temperatures not always being 'what they were supposed to be' (i.e. the average)? Or are you that guy. When you say 'should', what the hell does that mean? The management committee somewhere is not doing its job like it is supposed to? I mean, come on, what every happens in the weather is what 'should' happen....

Old 06-13-2014, 11:30 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Well it's sunny today, FINALLY, so I can continue blabbing about this or I can go out and enjoy it during the seemingly 3 seconds it's still here. Otherwise, when it does rain, and I gripe about how I can't do anything outside, well where was all of that excitement about outdoor activities on my part when it WASN'T raining?

Before I do, another thing is that this spurt was reminding me somewhat of 2007. I don't know if anyone in the eastern TX area remembers that, but that period was just nuts. If I recall, it broke all-time records for May/June/July, all 3 months, for most rainfall for each respective month ever, all-time. (That's how I remember it anyway.) It was bad enough that when it finally started tapering off in mid-July, they did a newspaper article about people going on their first-ever vacations, they were talking about how it was the latest they had ever waited into the summer period for vacationing. They were talking about how sparse the various spots were even on Memorial Day and such, and how people were just now starting to do outdoor activities in mid-July, and it was because it had rained so relentlessly from May-July.

That's what I'm getting at. It should NEVER be like that, EVER. Yes, the lakes have to be replenished and crops have to grow, but there NO WAY that they could POSSIBLY need THAT much rain to get such things taken care of. If so, they're being pigs. That is what I liked so much about AZ when I was there--they only received 12 inches of rain per year (other places received even less), yet there were STILL plenty in terms of food, lakes, water for household needs, even water for people to have pools. The particular wildlife and plants there did just FINE with that more sparse amounts. Heck the Phoenix area only receives 6 inches of rain a year, yet has the Salt River and various lakes. So I'm like "don't tell me we HAVE to have that much, AZ proves you wrong."

I realize TX isn't AZ, neither was NC, but it's like--man, the things that live around here, man they're such PIGS with needing THAT much water all the time. I'm fine with it most times, until it goes to raining off-on for 6 consecutive days. That's just entirely too much. Rain once every 8-15 days or so, maybe 2-3 days out of 10 once in awhile or so.

What was that again about me getting off the computer and going outside and enjoying the sun? If I don't today, that's MY fault. Time to get out of here.
Do you hate the Spurs because it rains so much in San Antonio?

I'd suggest that next time you move you look at a local climate report.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:40 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Wise choice, Cathy! I'm a dummy, I made the mistake of reading it. OMG

All I've got to say is this. Face it, Larry, you just LOVE to moan and groan, rant and rave and seem to spend your days bitching. What a way to go through life!
And we fall right into the trap of actually reading and responding to said rants...LOL!!

Old 06-13-2014, 04:23 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
rankly, at least with respect to how I feel today anyway, I don't care. Let nature figure out a way to make all of that work WITHOUT it having to rain/rain/rain/rain/rain/rain/rain/rain/rain like that. Remember how the song says "along with the sunshine, there's got to be a little rain sometimes?" Yes, the emphasis is on SOMETIMES, not 6 days in a row and then after a mere week have it rain for 2 more days. Out of 19 days, that's like 8 days of rain, or nearly half of the time. That is WAY WAY WAY too much. Out of 19 days, 3 days of rain is plenty in mind. If it "needs" more than that, then it's all just being a greedy pig like how a V8 Cadillac is a gas hog and drinks too much gas. Screw it.

Still, June, July August, Sept. it typically not cloudy/rain more than a few hours. Tyler, gets about 35 inches of rain on average. Southeast and Deep East Texas, more, I don't care enough to check, how much.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 979Texan View Post
shyguylh has the typical "me-first" idiot attitude. ALL rain is good unless it's flooding. Seriously, this dude has NO perspective about the need for rainfall and how rain (or lack thereof) affects the ecosystem.
I can't believe he is serious/for real?

Old 06-13-2014, 04:29 PM

hydroplaning and I took that as proof--"see, it's even killing people, I TOLD you we don't need this much."

Most like the driver was still driving 85-90 mph, you think?

Old 06-13-2014, 04:33 PM

d we fall right into the trap of actually reading and responding to said rants...LOL!!

ooooops, darn I did.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:22 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
No matter how much rain there is, people will ALWAYS say "We're in a drought y'all"

That's even true in Hawaii, but without the "y'all". It's been raining more than I've ever experienced on Maui, and yet EVERY time it rains people say "But we need the rain". No, we don't need the rain, we just had a massive mouse and rat infestation islandwide due to excessive rain....

Old 06-13-2014, 07:33 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

Your posts are always so long. I read the first paragraph and just have to give up. Way too much complaining. Too much of any kind of weather is frustrating but nothing warrants the intensity of your rants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas