Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 08:19 PM

4 posts, read 3,547 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was needing some help deciding and I figured I would come here to the Texas forum to see if you guys could help me out on a new place to move to, such as the pros/cons.

About me: Currently, I am a recently graduated hispanic student from university in my 30s. I have an associates in business, a bachelor's in history and I recently just got my MPA. I currently live by the border to Louisiana and I am just not feeling it, that and with my degrees, I will probably have to move to a bigger city anyway.

The cities on my list are:

Houston
San Antonio
Austin
Laredo

I have been to all these cities but El Paso. Houston was cool, but the traffic is not that great and the city is really really big. It is kind of overwhelming. On top of that, I consider Houston to be "Texas", but for some reason it still feels like people are trying to make it like a bigger version of where I live at now near Louisiana which I am not too keen on but maybe that is me.

San Antonio was cool, nice, people were friendly, but it didn't seem like there were a lot of jobs there and I really really need to work. I had one guy once tell me about a job where they paid 10/hr and he acted like that was a lot of money, it kinda freaked me out lol, but the city and the people were nice, but I got the feeling that there was nothing but minimum wage jobs there.

Austin was also nice and friendly, but the thing that kind of scared me was that there were way too many homeless there. I don't have anything against homeless people, but I kind of wondered if maybe the city is just too expensive?

Laredo was just awesome and the people were nice, a random girl actually bought me a shot and it was great. The heat was kind of terrible though, but I could manage.

Things that I am looking for: Nice, friendly people, open minded, cultured and educated. I am hispanic and I am very much in tune with my culture I would really prefer a place that is majority hispanic and not too hard to navigate. I really enjoy foreign languages and I love speaking spanish every chance that I get. I know Austin does not fit the hispanic part, but I put it down since I have an MPA, most people have said that I should go to Austin. At this point, I am confused. I do have to move and I have no friends in any of these cities. I pretty much liked them all, though I probably do have an affinity for central texas more, but against, people have said that I should not discount Houston since it is majority hispanic and it is a bigger city which = more jobs. So what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 10:22 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,774,895 times
San Antonio.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:41 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,971,077 times
Shouldn't have a problem at all finding a well paying job in San Antonio. But, if you like Laredo then go there. Laredo needs young professionals like yourself.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:57 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,905,150 times
How do you think San Antonio became a major city without good paying jobs!!!!
San Antonio have job's that pay over 30 hr and something that you would have to search for like in any other city not just San Antonio.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:24 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,977,130 times
San Antone.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:36 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times
San Antonio is the obvious choice for Hispanic culture just because I wouldn't recommend Laredo. Austin is the better choice for public sector jobs. San Antonio has more federal jobs than Austin, but these jobs are mostly in IT and the medical field. Austin has way more state jobs as to be expected. Travis County also has a better selection than Bexar County. When searching for government jobs, I always coveted how many more options Austin had and seriously considered moving up there. Do you have experience in public administration?

Houston is not majority Hispanic, but is getting close. Austin may not be majority Hispanic, but it still has a sizable Hispanic population at 35%. For comparison, I'm black and San Antonio is less than 7% black. Austin is just over 8% black. Being in a place that is 35% black would be a luxury for me.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:20 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,167,162 times
I would consider EL PASO! El Paso is a major city on the US/Mexican border with a majority (80%) Hispanic population. El Paso has been rated one of the safest cities in the USA, year after year.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:22 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,473,343 times
I love Austin its one my fav cities in the country and I good luck with gorgeous women in that city so its one my fav places. Only downside is the heat.. the summers go on 4ever but the people are amazingly friendly and its a very progressive city. Good Luck with your move and have a blessed day- RL

Old 08-25-2014, 07:07 PM

4 posts, read 3,547 times
Thank all of you guys for your responses!

As of right now, I have narrowed my choices to Austin, San Antonio, and I am still thinking about Houston. Tomorrow is my day off and I will try to do more research. It is kind of funny that most people said san antonio here and when I asked the same question elsewhere, someone said houston.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:15 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professionalgrad View Post
Hi, I was needing some help deciding and I figured I would come here to the Texas forum to see if you guys could help me out on a new place to move to, such as the pros/cons.

About me: Currently, I am a recently graduated hispanic student from university in my 30s. I have an associates in business, a bachelor's in history and I recently just got my MPA. I currently live by the border to Louisiana and I am just not feeling it, that and with my degrees, I will probably have to move to a bigger city anyway.

The cities on my list are:

Houston
San Antonio
Austin
Laredo

I have been to all these cities but El Paso. Houston was cool, but the traffic is not that great and the city is really really big. It is kind of overwhelming. On top of that, I consider Houston to be "Texas", but for some reason it still feels like people are trying to make it like a bigger version of where I live at now near Louisiana which I am not too keen on but maybe that is me.

San Antonio was cool, nice, people were friendly, but it didn't seem like there were a lot of jobs there and I really really need to work. I had one guy once tell me about a job where they paid 10/hr and he acted like that was a lot of money, it kinda freaked me out lol, but the city and the people were nice, but I got the feeling that there was nothing but minimum wage jobs there.

Austin was also nice and friendly, but the thing that kind of scared me was that there were way too many homeless there. I don't have anything against homeless people, but I kind of wondered if maybe the city is just too expensive?

Laredo was just awesome and the people were nice, a random girl actually bought me a shot and it was great. The heat was kind of terrible though, but I could manage.

Things that I am looking for: Nice, friendly people, open minded, cultured and educated. I am hispanic and I am very much in tune with my culture I would really prefer a place that is majority hispanic and not too hard to navigate. I really enjoy foreign languages and I love speaking spanish every chance that I get. I know Austin does not fit the hispanic part, but I put it down since I have an MPA, most people have said that I should go to Austin. At this point, I am confused. I do have to move and I have no friends in any of these cities. I pretty much liked them all, though I probably do have an affinity for central texas more, but against, people have said that I should not discount Houston since it is majority hispanic and it is a bigger city which = more jobs. So what do you guys think?
Fargo

No Spanish, sorry, you will have to settle for dating tall blond women.

Cheers
Qazulight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas