Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 11:47 PM

9 posts, read 11,765 times

Advertisements

If everybody would just calm down look back and see who mentioned Mexicans being in TX here first. It wasn't me and it added nothing to the discussion, or did it?

Hound 109 is correct, they were Spanish and I recommend looking up Gonzalo Guerrero. It is presumed he was the father of the first mestizo children. May as well look up mestizo too if you don’t already know and want to learn something.

So beginning in the 1500s some European explorers, who happened to be Spanish (Spain is in Europe last time I checked and has been for awhile) crashed somewhere on the gulf side of southern Mexico. They hung out with the indigenous people (Mayans) for a few years until Gerónimo de Aguilar’s buddy Gonzalo Guerrero hooked up with a Mayan woman to father the first mestizo children. To learn what happened after this and to jump ahead a few years look up Spanish American wars of independence.

Now to clarify the “white folk” part. The US Census Bureau’s five race categories are: White, Black or African American, American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian, and Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander. Hispanic or Latino refers to a person of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race. To clarify further, people who identify their origin as Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish may be any race.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:20 PM

9 posts, read 11,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
What do you think Mexicans are?

Anyway, like the others have said, I just don't think you are really Texas material. It's a unique region of LONG shared cultures which is not like other parts of the USA. If you cannot handle that, or even understand where the people came from, you'll be miserable here.
The point was in response to whomever said Mexicans where there before the white folk. I think they misunderstood what "white folks" are or maybe I took it too literally. Read my later post. It would seem I have a better understanding of the roots of what a Mexican is than some of the Mexicans responding.

Anyway, I am familiar with the culture. I lived in AZ where my best friend was Spanish. I went to school with a high population of Mexicans and Native Americans and never had or saw a problem. I lived there for 6 years and to date it was one of my favorite places to live. From there I moved to So Ca and Ca has the same Hispanic/Latino population as Texas. We left AZ due to my father's job and I left So Ca as an adult due to the cost of living and crime. I had a number of bad experiences in So Ca that is the cause of my apprehension with TX.

I guess maybe most of the responders are correct in the end and TX is not for me.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:17 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostnlooking View Post
The point was in response to whomever said Mexicans where there before the white folk. I think they misunderstood what "white folks" are or maybe I took it too literally. Read my later post. It would seem I have a better understanding of the roots of what a Mexican is than some of the Mexicans responding.
No, it would seem you had no idea of the history of the people of Mexico and later backtracked on your original (incorrect) response by posting what you learned on Wikipedia. I don't think anyone holds that against you, it's good that you may have learned something.

Of course, we could start all over again with your "some of the Mexicans responding" response as a window to your education/cultural knowledge, but let's just leave that alone.

Quote:
I guess maybe most of the responders are correct in the end and TX is not for me.
Yes, it sure looks that way.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:25 PM

123 posts, read 199,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostnlooking View Post
Yep. Especially if you have a problem with safer cities than Indy. No large city in Texas has a higher violent crime rate than Indianapolis. Why not try Gary? Probably not too many illegals there. I'm sure that makes it a wonderful place to live. Sorry you won't be coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas