Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:31 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,656,908 times

Advertisements

What about those taxes?? Specifically property tax, how bad is it in Texas? For say a $300,000.00 Home on 20 acres?? Do retired folks get a break?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 09:18 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
Depends on your situation and the county that you chose to reside in as to what those taxes might be but in general they are pretty high. I know in my area near Austin its about 2.5%-3% in tax of the value of the property and house. My neighbor over 65 said that the tax freeze for over 65 ain't that great of a deal but it still helps some. Now also you might be able to get a ag exception on the land if you were raising some goats or the like.. you would need to check into that to see what the rules are for that but I have heard lots of CA people grumble at the high property taxes, for me I grew up here so I am used to it. Good luck and hope you catch a bass cause I have't had any luck lately!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:11 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,147,347 times
Taxes are trade offs. I have lived in several states, and my Texas property taxes are higher than in other states I have lived. Also, sales taxes are higher here, but there is no state income tax, no local income tax. I figure my tax bill ends up being about the same percentage of my income everywhere I live; it is just distributed differently.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:31 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times
I think taxes are entirely too high, so yes, be sure and check out the appraisal districts rates as some are better than others. Try to find land that is already in ag, otherwise ypu will have to apply and I believe it is about a five year wait. Get a few cows or whatever to keep it in ag, it will save you a bundle. They will take about an acre out of ii and tax full value for your house. Homestead your house and that's another small break.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:43 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Texas homeowner's insurance is very high too, so the further out one lives in the country, the higher the premiums will be. That might be something to consider as well.

Actually when one turns 65, there is a break of sort, but I can't remember what it is. It might just be that the rates can't go up anymore. So if you're retired and 65, do look into it. Just being retired though won't help.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:41 PM

They freeze them (taxes) at age 65. So, if you paying a pretty good amount out at that time, you're stuck with it. Home insurance is high, too high! It cost even more the further out you are. Oh the other hand, your car insurance will drop the further out you are. Makes sense, the facilities are just not there to help in an emergency such as a fire like they are in the city, yet you're less likely to have an automobile accident due to less traffic, so it's a trade-off, but still overalll, too darn high! Outrageous!

Oh, if you blind or disabled, there's also a break. I've thought at times, maybe I should just poke myself in the eye!!

Old 01-05-2008, 01:06 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
They freeze them (taxes) at age 65. So, if you paying a pretty good amount out at that time, you're stuck with it. Home insurance is high, too high! It cost even more the further out you are. Oh the other hand, your car insurance will drop the further out you are. Makes sense, the facilities are just not there to help in an emergency such as a fire like they are in the city, yet you're less likely to have an automobile accident due to less traffic, so it's a trade-off, but still overalll, too darn high! Outrageous!

Oh, if you blind or disabled, there's also a break. I've thought at times, maybe I should just poke myself in the eye!!
Thats the second time I heard this. What do you mean property taxes and home owners insurance go up the further out in the country you are? It should be less because we have less services in the country.

I agree the car insurance is less because obviously the risk of loss is way less.

My property tax out in the country is quite tiny I think compared to simular sized acres near the big city.

Some one help me understand this one.

Thanks

Old 01-05-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Thats the second time I heard this. What do you mean property taxes and home owners insurance go up the further out in the country you are? It should be less because we have less services in the country.

I agree the car insurance is less because obviously the risk of loss is way less.

My property tax out in the country is quite tiny I think compared to simular sized acres near the big city.

Thanks
I never said property taxes go up the further out in the country you live. I do not know each appraisal districts rates.

I did say home insurance will increase or so that has been my experience and everyone I know. The reason? The services are simply not there.

Generally auto insurance will go down due to less traffic and accidents.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:56 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
California's insurance industry is tightly regulated, while in Texas the industry works like the Wild West. Insurance here is broken, no doubt about it.

But in Cali you are going to pay more for everything - gas, groceries etc. - that the difference in sales tax is negligible. And while the property taxes in Texas are higher rates than in Cali, the land values are undervalued here rather than inflated. There are no $500,000 shacks here. If you pay 3% on a house valued at $250K in Texas, it's the same as paying 1% on the same house valued at $750K in Cali. A strictly lateral move.

Then you have income tax. I believe Cali can take as much as 10% in state income tax, on top of what you fork over to Uncle Sam.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:23 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

Thanks
As lonestar2007 said, "It's the homeowners insurance that goes up the further out one lives." Property taxes are probably lower way out in the boonies in some areas because one only has to pay county and school taxes and not city as well.

Do you know how long it would take a volunteer fire truck to go miles and miles out in the country in case of a fire? By the time it arrived, the house would probably be gone. Remember too, there are no fire hydrants around so if a truck full of water becomes empty, they have to drive some place to get more water. I live 5 miles outside of town with a volunteer fire department 2 miles from me. My HO insurance is higher than my children's who live in the metroplex in homes worth $40,000 to $60,000 more than mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas