Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 10:45 AM

412 posts, read 546,155 times

Advertisements

Not surprising
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 10:54 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,573,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
This is a post explicitly about walking! So how fat are you, that it seeps out of your jeans into every single internet post?
Calm down bro. I wasn't the first person to mention walkability in the thread. I'm 6'3" 210.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:55 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,573,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Do you feel the same way about health in general?
No.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:00 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,785,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Walkability, Good God it's overrated on the Internet.
Quote:
Response of Overdog: This is a post explicitly about walking! So how fat are you, that it seeps out of your jeans into every single internet post?
Typical, rude, over-reacting, clueless, (as in makes a dumb statement without knowing what he's talking about) Progressive comment.

My take on Aceraceae's comment was that he (& I) see terms like "walkability" & "bike friendly", as a buzz words for internet rags to pronounce their favorite cities, and for local governments to spend lots of tax money (my money) on pet projects that sound nice & cuddly.... instead of on streets & police.

(& for the record, my lean & mean, tennis playing son walks one mile to school each day. Not sure what the walkability score of our neighborhood is, but he walks on sidewalks half the way, which is ok by me. His father, unfortunately..... doesn't walk to work each day & tries to not let anything "seep" out of his jeans. )

Old 12-23-2014, 05:21 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
What about the walking people do in Malls and across parking lots? Not to mention to and from cars. I think there is more to it than just the walkability scores of Texas cities. There may be some lifestyle issues especially in the west where people may be more fitness conscience and of course outdoor activities such as hiking will add a great deal to how much you walk.
Youre going to do a lot more walking in an urban environment where you dont own a car and walk to work with the aid of public transit.

When I lived in Chicago I did own a car, but I never used it. I walked everywhere or took the train. In any city in Texas, your main mode of transit is a car. The only walking you do is from the parking lot to your building or shopping.

People on the Texas forum dont like to hear it but outside of a precious few neighborhoods in the whole state, Texas is not a walkable place. I like it that way. I dont like urban density, Im a suburb kind of guy.

Its quite easy to see people in other states take more steps than we do. Frankly, Im surprised it was even that close.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:46 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,795,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Texas is not a walkable place.
Again I have to disagree. I feel that what you want to say is that Texas is not a walk-friendly place, and that is pretty much true. When you say that a place is not walkable, though, you're saying that it isn't possible to walk there, which is false.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:06 AM

227 posts, read 385,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Again I have to disagree. I feel that what you want to say is that Texas is not a walk-friendly place, and that is pretty much true. When you say that a place is not walkable, though, you're saying that it isn't possible to walk there, which is false.
In many places there are no sidewalks and walking would be almost impossible.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:34 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,795,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer2014 View Post
Not at all. Where I grew up sidewalks were practically nonexistent and I walked constantly. You just need to be in tune with your surroundings.

It takes some getting used to, but if you see it as impossible it's because you haven't really given it any effort.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:41 AM

587 posts, read 961,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer2014 View Post
You can walk without sidewalks. Easily. In fact, I would say that the best walking is done in rural areas and is commonly called hiking.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:15 AM

227 posts, read 385,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
You can walk without sidewalks. Easily. In fact, I would say that the best walking is done in rural areas and is commonly called hiking.
Well that's fairly obvious but at this point I thought we were talking about walkability in city areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas