Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 08:06 PM

41 posts, read 110,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Your best bets, I would say, would be Georgetown or Belton. Relatively easy access to Austin, and if I personally had to choose between Temple and Belton, I'd choose Belton. (We live in between Georgetown and Belton and do our shopping both places). Georgetown is 30 minutes from North Austin (depending on time of day) and there are a LOT of hospitals already built and popping up in the area. Belton is another 20 minutes; Temple, 30 (we shop in Temple, as well, for some things, so I know the drive well).

Temple would be something of a drive, especially going home from Austin entertainment. If you live in Killeen, you'd be driving 195, most likely, late of a Saturday night. It's about an hour, give or take, from Austin.

I've been looking online at homes in those areas, for my budget I have about 100K or so to spend. More homes in Belton in that price, not many at all in Georgetown. Georgetown seems pricey.

I would be happy to live on the outskirts of a town--more out in the country for the quiet and not being right on top of your neighbor.

Any homes where you live around the 100k mark?
Do you have city water or well?
Sewer or Septic?
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 08:13 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
You might want to look at Jarrell in that price range. Just minutes up I35 from Georgetown (we live in the country right outside of Jarrell, do our major grocery shopping in Georgetown or Salado or Belton depending, though there is a small local supermarket in Jarrell), and there are a couple of subdivisions as well as older homes. Some of the older homes are on half an acre - that used to be the standard in the community before the subdivisions were built. Some are on city (well, private water company) water and septic, some on the same and sewer (the city sewer is relatively new). It's still a rural community, though, if that's what you're looking for. You could also look in Taylor in that price range; again, a community whose base is rural. Sometimes there will be something in Georgetown in that range; you just have to wait for them. Mostly foreclosures.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:05 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
$100k is tough on most parts of the state. Since you are willing to live in a rural area, you should look at mobile homes. You can get one on at least 1/2 acre of land for that price. Just be prepared for the home itself to depreciate the longer you own it; they are not like a house.

You might also consider renting for a year to get familiar with the different areas and to find a place that you like before making the commitment to buy. That also would allow you to change jobs in case the first one you find isn't ideal.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:22 PM

41 posts, read 110,711 times
Default what is a realistic price range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
$100k is tough on most parts of the state. Since you are willing to live in a rural area, you should look at mobile homes. You can get one on at least 1/2 acre of land for that price. Just be prepared for the home itself to depreciate the longer you own it; they are not like a house.

You might also consider renting for a year to get familiar with the different areas and to find a place that you like before making the commitment to buy. That also would allow you to change jobs in case the first one you find isn't ideal.

I plan to rent for a while first, get the feel of the land , then buy a home. In the areas, Belton, or rural areas out side of Austin or Georgetown. What is a realistic price to expect to pay for a decent house?
Not a huge palace, but around 1400 Sq foot or so?

thanks

Old 01-06-2015, 04:36 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash3222 View Post
I plan to rent for a while first, get the feel of the land , then buy a home. In the areas, Belton, or rural areas out side of Austin or Georgetown. What is a realistic price to expect to pay for a decent house?
Since I've never lived in or priced rental properties in that market, I don't know. I would say to look online, including reading the classified ads in the local newspapers. Hopefully that will find enough listings for you.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:53 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,604 times
Temple is right on I-35, as is Belton just to the south. Both are moderate sized cities with plenty to offer. I lived in Temple or Belton for over 15 years combined. Killeen is indeed a military town, but I sort of bristle when I hear people blame that single fact for the woes experienced in the area. A large military presence does have some predictable influence, but it surely isn't the sole reason for all of the issues in Killeen. In my opinion, Belton had the best schools of the three cities, but it wasn't without fault. Scott and White offers many opportunities in the medical field, as does the Olin E. Teague VA hospital. Temple is larger than Belton by comparison. The proximity to I-35 from both Belton and Temple makes for an easy trip south to Austin, or north to Waco and DFW. There are also many areas outside the local cities to live around the local lakes (Belton and Stillhouse). Many smaller communities in the area may also be a good fit. Salado, as previously mentioned, is also right of I-35. Salado real estate is a bit pricier than comparable communities.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,766 times
ChristieP

[quote]FYI: I'm an Army Reservist's wife. My husband has served for 23 years and has done 3 overseas deployments.

But I still would not choose to live near Fort Hood.

LMAO....I understand we all have opinions and issues with Killeen but Fort Hood keeps Killeen afloat. Just because your husband has served or is serving doesn't justify or you have expert knowledge because you are a military spouse.

Killeen has it's crime problems just as any other city in Texas, Killeen lacks many things to make a it a good city. I have no clue what the city spends it's funds on but someone needs to do some checks and balances. Where does all the money go??

The education system is sub par - I blame the school board not the teachers.

Workforce/employment is horrible - expect 8.00 hr at most

People are not very friendly to include people who work in customer service roles.

City lacks culture, history and entertainment

Way too many food chain restaurants.

Movie theaters need to be upgraded

There is no real place to have fun with your family ..... Chuck e cheese and some crappy zoomarang.

Tattoo shops and stealerships everywhere. Too many barber shops and sew shops.

Downtown......I have nothing because I wouldn't call it a downtown at all.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:25 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,086,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash3222 View Post

thanks

Why was it you wanted to be outside Austin or chose Central Texas? Maybe other large metros or small metros would be better, do you have time to check those out?

Old 01-08-2015, 03:18 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,354 times
To add to TXStrat location directive about Temple being on I-35 and direct routes to Austin and DFW, Tx Hwy 36 runs thru Temple. To the southeast Hwy 36 connects to US290 in Brenham and heads directly into Houston. Also, southward beyond Brenham Hwy 36 connects to I-10 in Sealy, again a direct route into Houston. Finally, Hwy 36 will head northwest towards the panhandle for that long weekend excursion into the dusted plains. Or New Mexico and Colorado.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:08 AM

5 posts, read 8,056 times
Pick a city; not Temple, Killeen area. I am credit collections professional and moved hear from the Northern NJ to be near family. A devastating financial mistake! Although the people are nice and love Texas as a whole, I do not like this place. I work at a position which is poverty level. I never been so broke. There is no public transportation to get you to and from Austin. Unless you drive, you are out of luck. I am seriously considering leaving because I cannot find a decent paying position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas