Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 09:48 PM

30 posts, read 105,248 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised on a farm, but have lived in cities for most of my adult life. I have FINALLY convinced my husband to move out of Florida! WHOOHOO! He's set his sights on Texas, which I might add I've NOT a prob with! I have found a house in Kaufman that I've fallen in love with (at least from the outside view). ANY info you could supply would be greatly appreciated! THANKS YA'LL IN ADVANCE!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 09:54 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
What info are you looking for?

Old 01-20-2008, 10:04 PM

ANYTHING! We are yet to decide on an area, let alone a particular town. I am trying to find a way to WOW him with the smaller town feel and mentality.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:15 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Texas is a huge state... each region has its own feel. We've just moved to the DFW area about 18 months ago, so I'm not the best person to answer statewide questions

Do you have time to take 2 weeks to drive around the state and see what areas interest you the most?

Are you looking to live close to the coast?

Do you want to live close to a big city for cultural events and shopping, but still live in a small town?

Do you want more trees and greenery, or a more arid landscape?

Are you looking to retire, or do you need to find jobs? If you need jobs, what kind of work?

Old 01-20-2008, 10:42 PM

No, we're not looking to live close to the coast. We've had enough of hurricanes here in FL. Couldn't really care less about the cultural events and shopping can be done anywhere. Personally, I would like to stick to the smaller towns. I've had enough of the concrete jungle for awhile. Trees and greenery would be nice, but we're moving to Texas after all. I was raised in eastern Washington which is basically desert so an arid landscape would not bother me much. We're in our mid 30's, looking to retire hasn't entered our minds yet. My husband is a mig/tig welder who is not certified but has many years' experience.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:59 PM

anyone Have Some Input Or Suggestions?

Old 01-21-2008, 10:34 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I'm a fan of Central Texas myself. I live near Austin, in Hutto and there are lots of rural areas around us, and even parts of this town are pretty rural but there are so many people moving to the Austin area that even this little one light town has grown to about 4 now (stop lights ) There's Smithville, La Grange, Bastrop, Elgin, Taylor, Thrall, Granger, New Corn Hill, Salado, Georgetown, Jarrell, Leander, Cedar Park, Manor, and Pflugerville, Buda, Dripping Springs, marble falls, Jonestown, Fredricksburg, Kerrville, Bandera, New Braunfels, San Marcos and quite a few others in my general area of the state. Bellestar lives further north than I do, but still in the Hill Country area and she could probably name even more of the towns around her. How small and how far out of the way are you thinking? San Marcos and Pflugerville may be a little too large for you. Cedar Park too. It's hardly got any rural left to it. New Corn Hill is close to Georgetown and is very rural, slightly hilly and nice and relaxing! LOTS of green. Georgetown, Hutto, Taylor, Elgin and Bastrop, even though counted as suburbs of Austin are still very small town, green, friendly people and laid back pace. You can still see the stars out here. All still have their old downtowns and except for Georgetown, don't lie along I35 and don't have too many big box stores besides Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:19 AM

Thank you so much! You've given me many more areas to look in to. Trying to find all the cities and towns on a map can be hard, some aren't even listed on the map I've been using up to this point.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:23 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
I am also a big fan of Cen-Tex because of its central location-i am 2 hours drive from either DFW or San Antonio, and an hour drive from Austin. to me, this area is "quintessential" Texas-rodeos, small towns, bbq, etc.
I love Gatesville and Lampasas-those are my favorite towns so far that I have spent time in around here.
Belton is also a nice big town/small city, with a very big lake-lots of recreational opportunities.
I like being near Ft Hood-largest military installation in the world, because I feel comfortable around the military community, and love working for the Army. Plus, because of the diverse population found on military posts, we have all kinds of ethnic foods/restaurants around here.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:01 PM

9 posts, read 41,912 times
Default Moving to Texas

We live at Canyon Lake, TX about 12 miles from New Braunfels, Texas. Good location, close to the San Marcos outlet mall and Austin and close to San Antonio. It is a growing area but feels like a small home town community. Friendly people, good schools and great taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas