Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can you be a "true" Texan if you were born elsewhere?
Yes! 47 53.41%
No 25 28.41%
Maybe (Explain) 16 18.18%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 01:31 PM

32 posts, read 47,897 times

Advertisements

Some people say that you're not a "true" Texan if you were born outside of the state. Others (like me) believe that if you move here and you are in the Texas "state of mind" and you love the state and claim it as your home, then you are a "true" Texan. I was actually born in Georgia, but my dad was from Texas and he moved all over the state until he moved to Georgia for work. We always went to visit family during holidays and I would go spend the summer with my aunt and uncle in Texas. I can remember begging my parents to move to TX when I was younger because of how much I loved it! Now, I've graduated high school and I'm here for college and I don't plan on leaving! I am now proud to call myself a proud resident of the great state of Texas and there is nowhere else I would rather call home!!! I may have been born in GA but my heart is in TX and I consider myself a TRUE Texan!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 01:59 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,007,591 times
It's hard for a transplant to really get Texas but if ya do then its great because it's something unique in the world. I say unique because I've traveled all over and have never found a place quite like it in terms of culture, tradition and way of life. Every other place is either too underdeveloped or too "worldly" ( I don't mean multi-cultural) in the sense that its full of A-types, cut throat competition, a sense of self indulgence that I can only describe as extremely secular. I only get that sense of down to earth-ness in the working class parts out here in LA. It just seems more humble.

Houston lacks the pretentiousness that infects other big cosmopolitan metro areas. Dallas I hear is still uppity but Ft worth is supposed to make up for it. Austin seems to be getting its fair share of the same types I can't stand out in SF, West LA and NYC.

But the smaller towns and burbs seem to still retain a kinda life I can't wait to retire in.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:00 PM

587 posts, read 961,016 times
I agree. Anyone can be a true Texan who wants to be. Also anyone who was born in Texas but doesn't want to be Texan, isn't one.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:04 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,722,491 times
Guess who wasn't born in Texas:

Sam Houston (first president of the Republic of Texas and US senator)
Stephen F. Austin ("Father of Texas" and namesake of the capital)
David Crockett (hero of the Alamo and US representative)
Roger Staubach (Super Bowl-winning Dallas Cowboy quarterback)
Randy White (Super Bowl-winning Cowboy linebacker, late '70s)
Troy Aikman (Super-Bowl-winning Cowboy QB, early-mid '90s)
Jerry Jeff Walker (country singer heavily associated with Texas but really from NY state)
Mike Judge (creator of the greatest and most accurate Texas-based TV show of all time, King of the Hill. And Office Space.)

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 06-08-2015 at 02:53 PM..

Old 06-08-2015, 02:08 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,363 times
I'm not a Texan, but i've only been here since 2001. I'm a New Yorker living in Texas. If someone transplanted here from another state and chose to call themselves a Texan, more power and props to them

Old 06-08-2015, 02:13 PM

I just dislike how transplants go to Texas and don't see what the natives see and just use the state for their own ends. They're the ones that end up leaving and a new set of transplants take their place thinking its a Shangrila of jobs

Old 06-08-2015, 03:01 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,082,814 times
It's just an or your opinion on how you want to define "true" oh me what a thread, there must be a shortage of topics, lol

Old 06-08-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I just dislike how transplants go to Texas and don't see what the natives see and just use the state for their own ends.
Huh?

Old 06-08-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Huh?
A lot of transplants, not all, come from the coasts because of jobs. They hate it and complain, so they utilize their time, get a second degree, build up more work experience and then move back to where they came from.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
A lot of transplants, not all, come from the coasts because of jobs. They hate it and complain, so they utilize their time, get a second degree, build up more work experience and then move back to where they came from.
Hate to tell you, man--but people do that almost everywhere. They definitely do it here in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas