Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 09:27 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmandtruth View Post
I spent a year in CA. I went to some grocery stores and fast food places where workers could hardly speak English, and weren't polite, except to Spanish speakers.
What does that have to do with Texas?

If you meant it was the same here, I would have to vigorously disagree. I have lived here for 50 year, and the only time there was any difficulty at all was communicating with various yard crews or cleaning crews at various times. And in those instances, they were not rude and we still managed to communicate in mangled, mis-mashed Spanish/English.

Quote:
When I spent time in Mexico, I tried to learn Spanish, and didn't expect English speaking workers, but appreciated it when they did.
The vast majority of workers in the tourist areas of Mexico speak at least some English, and many are fluent. Many speak German or French, as well. Granted, it is the tourist areas, but still a huge swath of Mexico. Not sure how this is relevant to Texas, though.

Quote:
With the kind of comments of La Raza and many others, it's no wonder people in America resent it! Our tax money shouldn't be spent on double or multiple language on government forms, either! Most other countries, if any, don't do that!
What a bunch of bunk (as pointed out above). There are quite a few citizens in the U.S., and Texas in particular, that don't speak English. There is nothing 'constitutional' that says you have to speak English, but it is unconstitutional to 'ignore' people that don't speak English. Hell, I can understand most Spanish-speakers much better than south Louisiana 'English' speakers....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 11:43 AM

20 posts, read 19,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Uh, I lived in Austin 1974-76 and then from 1985-2004, and don't recall anyone expecting me to speak Spanish. Didn't find that to be the case either during trips back there in 2005 and 2013. I've never found that to be the case either when living or traveling elsewhere in the state. So your contention seems quite specious to me.
Just stating an experience I had in the state that I didn't like. I am not going to learn another language because the lowest common denominator can't figure out how to speak English.

On a side note, one of the first experiences I had in Texas was very negative, but I still liked the state. When we fist moved there, we were visiting a snake farm down near a city outside San Antonio and a mexican guy was walking out of the place, tripped and tried to brace himself on the hood of our car with the hand that he was carrying he car keys. Brilliant, I know. He put a few scratches on the car and we said we were going to need to get his insurance to fix the paint he just scratched. He started giving us his boo hoo story about his car being old and all scratched up and that we should just forget about it. We just bought our car brand new the month before, so that was not an option. He started getting belligerent, so we called the cops. They couldn't do anything because it wasn't a "car accident" so he just made us exchange insurance. We didn't think we should have to give ours because we did nothing wrong, but he gave some excuse about Texas law blah blah and both parties have to exchange insurance no matter who was at fault. We did and the guy made a comment about to the effect of "what, you think because I am mexican, I will run?" We said no, we just don't trust someone we haven't met before who proceeds to tell us that scratching our new car is not a big deal. Anyways, the guy never answers his phone or returns emails or letters mailed to his address and we never heard from him. Having not had a stereotype before coming to Texas, our first experience built a stereotype that still lasts to this day, because it has never been proven different.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:34 PM

231 posts, read 213,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
What does that have to do with Texas?
Hell, I can understand most Spanish-speakers much better than south Louisiana 'English' speakers....
What kind ya dang ol Cajun Creole Atchafayala jambalaya kinna mess of sumtin was is you talkin bout?

Old 08-11-2015, 02:29 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoTex View Post
What kind ya dang ol Cajun Creole Atchafayala jambalaya kinna mess of sumtin was is you talkin bout?
New Iberia and Bogalusa talkin'

Old 08-11-2015, 05:34 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'gusta_balla View Post
Just stating an experience I had in the state that I didn't like. I am not going to learn another language because the lowest common denominator can't figure out how to speak English.

On a side note, one of the first experiences I had in Texas was very negative, but I still liked the state. When we fist moved there, we were visiting a snake farm down near a city outside San Antonio and a mexican guy was walking out of the place, tripped and tried to brace himself on the hood of our car with the hand that he was carrying he car keys. Brilliant, I know. He put a few scratches on the car and we said we were going to need to get his insurance to fix the paint he just scratched. He started giving us his boo hoo story about his car being old and all scratched up and that we should just forget about it. We just bought our car brand new the month before, so that was not an option. He started getting belligerent, so we called the cops. They couldn't do anything because it wasn't a "car accident" so he just made us exchange insurance. We didn't think we should have to give ours because we did nothing wrong, but he gave some excuse about Texas law blah blah and both parties have to exchange insurance no matter who was at fault. We did and the guy made a comment about to the effect of "what, you think because I am mexican, I will run?" We said no, we just don't trust someone we haven't met before who proceeds to tell us that scratching our new car is not a big deal. Anyways, the guy never answers his phone or returns emails or letters mailed to his address and we never heard from him. Having not had a stereotype before coming to Texas, our first experience built a stereotype that still lasts to this day, because it has never been proven different.
Bigot talk from a bigot. Take your stereotypes and shove them up
your arse. Whites will soon be a minority in America and I as a white guy can't wait.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:59 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Bigot talk from a bigot. Take your stereotypes and shove them up
your arse. Whites will soon be a minority in America and I as a white guy can't wait.
The white guilt is strong with this one.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:31 PM

657 posts, read 740,232 times
I have always wondered this about whites who illegal hispanics so much.

Do you automatically hate a hispanic person at first glance but then be friend him when he speaks to you in English? How does that work?

Old 08-12-2015, 07:03 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
I have always wondered this about whites who illegal hispanics so much.

Do you automatically hate a hispanic person at first glance but then be friend him when he speaks to you in English? How does that work?
If you really wonder that then it speaks volumes about you knowledge on the subject.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:43 AM

692 posts, read 855,558 times
Quote:

Having not had a stereotype before coming to Texas, our first experience built a stereotype that still lasts to this day, because it has never been proven different.
You need to get out more. No offense, but your stereotype is based on one jerk and a possible inability to handle cultural differences w/o falling prey to confirmation bias.

"Q) How do you know there are Mexicans in your neighborhood?
A) Their lawns are perfect."

Texas is Mexican land that was so good we just couldn't help but steal it. Mexican people and Mexican culture are here to stay and fundamentally woven into the tapestry of Texan culture; that's a GOOD thing, and one of the things that gives the state its unusual and vibrant identity.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:43 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times
Quote:
Having not had a stereotype before coming to Texas, our first experience built a stereotype that still lasts to this day, because it has never been proven different.
So glad you finally found a stereotype for Texas I guess. May you continue to find stereotypes for everything and everywhere you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas