Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 07:47 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times

Advertisements

Does it still smell like H2S?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 08:15 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I drove thru Austin recently on I 35. Road was poorly designed & traffic was gridlocked. There were billboards & trash everywhere. It looked depressing. I didn't leave I 35 except to stop for a breakfast taco which was fairly decent.
No true. If you drive on I-35, you can still see the Austin skyline with the beautiful buildings and the lake/river and all the landscaping around. There is much to see off I-35 driving through Austin, and as you go further north, tons and tons of new buildings of shopping.

Lockhart had none of these off 183. It was dilapidated buildings and falling/leaning-over mobile homes.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:34 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
No true. If you drive on I-35, you can still see the Austin skyline with the beautiful buildings and the lake/river and all the landscaping around. There is much to see off I-35 driving through Austin, and as you go further north, tons and tons of new buildings of shopping.

Lockhart had none of these off 183. It was dilapidated buildings and falling/leaning-over mobile homes.
You missed the point. & if you don't get off the main road, you've missed the town.

I live in Austin, am familiar with the pros & cons (& it's views & landscaping)....And extolling the virtues of "tons of new buildings" & shopping to someone who is wanting to move to a small town is ironic & funny. But not as funny as a realtor.... posting on the board for years, and has never bothered to visit a nationally famous town just 35 miles away. & then weighing in with opinions on the town when he/she didn't bother to get off the dang Highway (except for a 30 minute detour to the 3rd best BBQ joint in town).

& FYI - virtually every small town in texas has a few dilapidated buildings & mobile homes....especially on & near the industrial / main thoroughfare thru town. But imo, Lockhart today is similar to Georgetown of say 1985 (but without the college . ) In 20 years it will be a "nicer" but more crowded place to live.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Does it still smell like H2S?
Trainwreck, is it possible you are thinking of Luling? Which has had that "rotten egg" smell for years. (which one escapes by going into City Market for brisket & sausages & white bread).

The only smell I'm aware of in Lockhart is the heavenly wafting smoke from meat smoking for 8+ hours (coming from 4 different joints) in this small town & I doubt the city leaders are going to have to listen to whiney vegan neighbors complaining about their quality of life being imposed on - like the silliness that occurs in the city 30 miles to the north .

Old 11-11-2015, 09:46 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Oh, Luling has always been worse, but Lockhart used to have it to some extent - the 'smell of money' - off and on. The last few years, though, I have not smelled it during my (brief) travels through the city. Didn't know if I was just missing it or if it had been better controlled.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:35 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
You missed the point. & if you don't get off the main road, you've missed the town.
I didn't miss the point. My point is that you can tell a lot from many cities when just driving through on the highway. Driving through Lockhart, all you can see is lifeless stuff so that doesn't give much hope for the rest of it. It's like judging a book by its cover. You shouldn't do it, but that's what most people do.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I didn't miss the point. My point is that you can tell a lot from many cities when just driving through on the highway. Driving through Lockhart, all you can see is lifeless stuff so that doesn't give much hope for the rest of it. It's like judging a book by its cover. You shouldn't do it, but that's what most people do.
I could give 6 dozen examples of cities that disproves your first statement. (so I won't bother)

& 15K folks who live in Lockhart might disagree with the second statement.

But why crack down on a place that you've never even visited??

Old 07-16-2016, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,568 times
Hi there! I read your thread about Lockhart. Well I lived there up until almost 10 yrs.ago. I went to middle school there and high school as well. In my opinion Bastrop is a better town as far as schools and amenities. There really isn't a whole lot to do in Lockhart. On the plus side it is close to San Marcos. Good luck! Hope this helped.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,326 times
Hi
We are retired from Spring Texas and want to move to Hill Country.
What are the Pros and Cons of living in San Marcus??

Old 07-02-2017, 07:04 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
You might want to start your own thread.

San Marcos is a beautiful little town, but mostly it's college students. And not really the "hill country", which starts a bit west of there.

Since you live in Spring, you're close enough to take a lot of trips out to San Marcos and then further into the hill country to see what you might like - best wishes with the adventure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas