Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 05:05 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times

Advertisements

You've seen them. Armadillos. Longhorns. White-tailed deer. Coyotes. Roadrunners. Bats. Bobcats. Badgers. They're all around our great state in different places, wandering all about. I'm sure you have a wide appreciation for these wonderful Texas critters. Although I'm not much of a naturalist myself, I have developed a respect and appreciation for them. Do you have a favorite? Two favorites? Three?

Then now's the time and here's the place. Let's come and gather around our computer campfire and go easy on the sparks. Your favorite Texas critters -- what might they be? Find out. Let 'er rip, folks, and I'll be back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 07:05 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Horny toads, which have become almost extinct. We grew up with them, would catch and hold them, stroke their bellies. I think they liked that!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:22 PM

189 posts, read 628,909 times
Horny toads... used to play with them when I was a kid. I also enjoyed roadrunners. Plus... it was kinda fun when I would go fishing and catch a few snapping turtles. Oh... and mockingbirds! Can you tell is miss Texas? (Don't worry... my withdrawls are coming to an end... I'm moving back this summer.)

Old 02-22-2008, 07:26 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,634,301 times
Are there badgers in Texas ... none in East Texas.

I like 'em all!

Deer are special to watch.

I love to watch hawks skim the treetops trying to flush a squirrel.

Speaking of that I've spent countless hours on a deerstand watching squirrels ... very cool.

Gators are OK too in there own prehistoric kind of way! Just knowing what a big one could do commands a respect!

Ever watch a blue heron stalk a shoreline?

I can't decide ... I love nature period!!!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:29 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,382,695 times
deer, armadillos, bobcats, coyotes, longhorns, gosh i love em all. the only thing i really hate about texas is snakes. skeered to death of em, and i dont care how small they are, or how "harmless" they are, to me..there is only one good snake-a dead one. and i will shoot all of them. if snakes could be eradicated from this state, this would be total paradise.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:49 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Default Hook 'Em! Well, Sort Of.......

I have a real affinity for the longhorn. They are a constant in this state, although not the only one. You see them in many, many places. I still get a kick out of seeing a collection of them grazing in the grass near Alliance Airport in North Fort Worth. Such is the case in my travels and traverses. If I'm not careful, I may actually pretend to see a longhorn in some parking lot somewhere. It's because I see so many.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:05 PM

35 posts, read 233,190 times
Yes there are badgers in Texas. My favorite critter is the quail! Fun to watch, fun to hunt, and good to eat!

Old 02-22-2008, 11:10 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,290,595 times
Gators, they are so interesting to watch...
Rattlesnake are also cool
I have never seen a Horny Toad in Texas, I've seen them in Mexico... with this whole family reunion...in the middle of the mountains...it was cool...

Old 02-23-2008, 12:41 AM

79 posts, read 394,792 times
the parrots definitely. A swarm of them coming home for the day is magnificent. Lately there have been a lot of green jays in the yard, they're beautiful but don't fill the air with the same noise level

Old 02-23-2008, 06:09 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
I also enjoy seeing the quail walk across the road! And roadrunners, last seen for me in Turkey, TX.

Are there javalinas in Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas