Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 09:04 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Technically out of state purchases are required to be reported to the state for collection of the difference in sales taxes. If you shop at a VA store and have something delivered (like furniture) to a TN address, you get charged TN taxes. Amusingly enough, someone bought an old carpet warehouse on the VA side of the line and converted it into a storage unit where parts can be rented by the day. I've seen people have things officially delivered to that address to avoid paying the TN tax, then people either pick them up or small shops will just take it to TN with the technical VA address.
Ha! Love how any law can be 'gamed', to some extent.

I will say that it is difficult to 'hide' property taxes - you can't send them 'off-shore' and the number of deductions/exemptions is fairly straight-forward. If you live in some other state but own property in Texas, you WILL get taxed on that property. There are many pluses and minuses to property taxes but they are a) locally controlled b) somewhat controllable (you can buy a cheaper house) and c) hard to dodge.

Oh, and ask for a $5k raise if you are moving to Austin or SA.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:26 AM

730 posts, read 775,722 times
Unless you have an AGI over $150K for a single filer or $300K for join both state income tax and property tax are deductible from your Federal income tax. Basically this issue only applies to earners in the top 2% of income.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:10 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
Unless you have an AGI over $150K for a single filer or $300K for join both state income tax and property tax are deductible from your Federal income tax. Basically this issue only applies to earners in the top 2% of income.
There is no state income tax, so you can 'replace' the deduction with sales tax.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:55 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Ours are pretty normal for the county we are in. Granted, this is a poor area without a lot of jobs, but under $1,000 looks pretty common in much of the rural South and Midwest.

Property taxes: How does your county compare? - CNNMoney.com

It just seems like the property taxes would be a huge burden to anyone thinking of owning a home, and skewing more people toward renting.

The dividend and interest tax is going away fairly soon. This would primarily impact retirees and those with lots of dividend and interest income, and that's not me.

The sales taxes are oppressive and higher than anywhere else I've lived. Fortunately, I live around ten miles from the Virginia border and do most of my shopping in Virginia. Sales tax is only around 4% there.
Yeah, I heard the Hall Tax is probably going away by 2022 at the latest.

Fayetteville, AR also has a high sales tax rate (state + local) and what is taxed and what isn't is an odd mix. I remember getting a quick breakfast at a Mickey D's there a few years ago and the total sales tax rate was about 11%.

Re correct property tax rates in Texas, look at the listings you like on HAR.com. When I first moved to Texas, IIRC, HAR.com just covered the Houston metro, but one can now search all around the state.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:45 AM

978 posts, read 1,057,859 times

That map of the United States shows how outrageous Property taxes are in Texas.

It's a huge reason why I continue to rent and then save the money I don't have to pay for home ownership (property taxes, insurance, maintenance, closing costs, interest, etc.). I save the excess money in investments instruments that typically outperform single family residential anyway.

I know rent includes taxes but its a predictable monthly rate and if I don't like it I can always move. With home ownership you have less control. What if your house goes up 100k, as one poster mentioned. That poster mentioned that they pay $8,500 a year in property taxes. IF it stays at that rate, that is $85,000 for a ten year period or $170,000 just in taxes for a twenty year period!
If you move, realtor fees/closing cost encompass 6% so yes home ownership in Texas is very expensive.

For those with property taxes...say your rate is 2.5%. What is the actual amount you pay after exemptions/ deductions?

Old 11-03-2016, 08:25 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
I pay roughly 1k a month in property taxes and it's just a cost of doing business. I'd rather that than state income tax though

Old 11-03-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
These deductions are only beneficial if you itemize just like mortgage interest deductions

Old 11-03-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post

It's a huge reason why I continue to rent and then save the money I don't have to pay for home ownership (property taxes, insurance, maintenance, closing costs, interest, etc.). I save the excess money in investments instruments that typically outperform single family residential anyway.

I know rent includes taxes but its a predictable monthly rate and if I don't like it I can always move. With home ownership you have less control. What if your house goes up 100k, as one poster mentioned. That poster mentioned that they pay $8,500 a year in property taxes. IF it stays at that rate, that is $85,000 for a ten year period or $170,000 just in taxes for a twenty year period!
If you move, realtor fees/closing cost encompass 6% so yes home ownership in Texas is very expensive.

For those with property taxes...say your rate is 2.5%. What is the actual amount you pay after exemptions/ deductions?

It depends on the area. The exemptions and how they apply vary. My total rate is 2.5% or so but under 2% effective after exemptions in Houston. When I lived in the suburbs it was over 3% total and just under that effective because the school district and utility district didn't apply the same exemption that the county did

Old 11-05-2016, 10:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post

We pay about $4000 a year in property taxes on a home in the Tyler area, which is an upper middle class home in a desirable neighborhood, 2500 square feet and it appraises for about $260,000. However, I looked up the average income tax rate in the US for our income bracket and it would be MUCH more than $4000 so we come out way ahead tax wise living in Texas. In fact, our property taxes could double and we'd still be way ahead. So yeah - I'm staying in Texas and will continue to enjoy being a home owner.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
These deductions are only beneficial if you itemize just like mortgage interest deductions

So itemize - it's not difficult to do. It's a one page form. Super easy to fill out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas