Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 01:31 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas retail updater View Post
...Go ahead and cut the branches up to the property line
I would not recommend being a jerk. Why not just trim the tips if they are getting too close to the roof?

OP posted once, didn't like the answers, ran away. We are just arguing amongst ourselves for the fun of it, now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 09:19 PM

254 posts, read 191,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I would not recommend being a jerk. Why not just trim the tips if they are getting too close to the roof?

OP posted once, didn't like the answers, ran away. We are just arguing amongst ourselves for the fun of it, now.
My grandfather was a tree farmer. Cutting the branches on the intrusive side will over time cause the weight of it to shift away from the house. The roots will strengthen in such a way as to account for the shifting of weight. Just make sure if possible that the branch or branches is/or cut even at the trunk. Leaving stumps will cause rot and is stressful on the tree. The branches growing over the op's property is his property to deal with unless the tree is rotting. He didn't even need to mail his neighbor a certified letter in this case. Just cut the branches. Again, since he is acting like a butt, don't dare touch or reach over onto the neighbor's property.

This is common sense. What isn't common knowledge is how dangerous a dense oak tree can be. A vehicle can ram into an eight inch diameter oak tree, slice itself into two parts, and leave little damage to the tree. I was reading about such an accident happening in Houston along Allens Parkway involving the tragic death of a famous lawyer.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:29 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Well, there can be a number of reasons someone doesn't want the limb over their property - although I would tend to agree that I'd rather have the shade - but what works for one doesn't for another. Apparently the OP has already approached his neighbor about trimming the tree and was blown off. I'd talk to someone at a nursery for the proper method and techniques, then trim the tree accordingly, and DOCUMENT how I did it. If the tree dies, I'm sorry - but it couldn't have been very viable to begin with.

A GOOD neighbor wouldn't plant a tree so that it would encroach over a neighbors' yard to begin with, other than perhaps some minor small limbs.
Who says that person planted it, however? Shade trees on my property are older than I am! Perhaps in the younger suburbs the current owner planted the tree, maybe the builder planted it? And yes, placement should be considered, absolutely.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

Yeah, and one post on City Data by OP. Always makes me suspicious.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:48 PM

254 posts, read 191,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Who says that person planted it, however? Shade trees on my property are older than I am! Perhaps in the younger suburbs the current owner planted the tree, maybe the builder planted it? And yes, placement should be considered, absolutely.
Allowing trees begotten by nature to continue growing along the property line is a very common mistake. That is the main reason power lines get taken down during storms. In the long run, radiant barrier foil installed in the attick is better and cheaper shading than tree branches hanging over the house. Again, a large branch from an oak tree will fall through the roof.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:27 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Allowing trees begotten by nature to continue growing along the property line is a very common mistake. That is the main reason power lines get taken down during storms. In the long run, radiant barrier foil installed in the attick is better and cheaper shading than tree branches hanging over the house. Again, a large branch from an oak tree will fall through the roof.
It is all so dependent on the specifics. Our two big trees add thousands of dollars to our property, potentially 10 thousand plus. The current branches have made it 300+ years and are all currently healthy (checked every few years by an arborist). The trees themselves are no where near a property line nor any house (other than our own), yet their branches do extend over adjacent property. All the utilities are underground.

I have no issues with a neighbor trimming back branches as needed to prevent the tree from impacting his head room or his house (if it ever got that far somehow). But I sure would be pissed if they allowed the tree to get oak wilt or otherwise damaged the health of the tree. I would rather them allow me to call an arborist and have it done professionally. I would foot the bill.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:37 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
you have the right to cut down anything in the forest as long as you use.....A HERRING!

Old 12-06-2016, 01:50 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
you have the right to cut down anything in the forest as long as you use.....A HERRING!
I thought it was only the largest (or mightiest?) tree in the forest...?

Old 12-07-2016, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Oh I'm not disagreeing with that. Not at all. All I was saying is that the current owner, if it's an older neighborhood, probably didn't plant the tree. It could have been there before there was ever a house, planted by the builder 50 or 60+ years ago, or planted by a previous owner. Yes, a branch from an older oak can cause serious damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas