Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 08:19 PM

4 posts, read 8,512 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are a family thinking of relocating from California to the Texas hilll country part of Texas and I'm wondering if someone can recommend a nice town in that area around 300,000? Is Wimberly nice? How are the people there? Are they accepting of Californians? Are they nice or are they judgmental Bible Belt types? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 08:30 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,086,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimte View Post
Hi, we are a family thinking of relocating from California to the Texas hilll country part of Texas and I'm wondering if someone can recommend a nice town in that area around 300,000? Is Wimberly nice? How are the people there? Are they accepting of Californians? Are they nice or are they judgmental Bible Belt types? Thanks!
I'm a Bible Belt type, lol, but most of us, news to you, are not judgemental, anyway, their is not "town" of 300,000, 200,000, or even 100,000 that would be considered "in" the Hill Country.

Cities of maybe 100,000, look at a map, around Austin, would be near, Texas Term, lol, to the Hill Country. Just a warning, yes the Hill Country is nice, but it is really, really hot, unless you come from the desert areas of California, or East of Sacramento. Try a week or two visit in August, the heat is well, over bearing for really at least 3 months, it's not like the populated areas of California.

Now, back to your question, the immediate Austin area, is of course the most liberal in Texas. The more you move out from the central city, the more Christians you will encounter, we would not hit you over the head with a Bible, or "Thump one "at you", lol. but we just might "do" the "nasty insult" of inviting you to a particular church. But after that "unfortunate encounter" we would "mercifully" just leave you in peace, lol.

Nah, you would not have a problem, oh, excuse me PLEASE, you will not have an "ISSUE", to be PC, or "shucks" PC was just "kicked out the door" Merry Christmas !!

Oh, didn't you see the THREAD (where should we move to in Texas.) That should "do you" well.

Last edited by Mark Senior; 12-25-2016 at 08:55 PM..

Old 12-25-2016, 09:04 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,038 times
The Hill Country is comprised of 25 counties and about 31,000 square miles. As you can imagine, there are a lot of cities, towns and schools in that area. Some urban, some suburban and some very rural. You'll read that the Hill Country is cooler than the rest of Texas, but that's a relative thing. It's still hotter than most places for much of the year and it doesn't cool off much at night. Step one is to decide where you want to live.

Wimberley is nice and the people are nice, too. The thing about Texas is that most people, for the most part, are nice. They are the live-and-let-live type, not stereotypes. You'll be accepted if you accept others as they are and where they are. Lots of people seem to come here from other places because they are attracted to what they perceive as the "Texas lifestyle" and then immediately begin to expect Texas and Texans to change to become more like the place they came from.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:36 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Wimberley is tiny, but it is very nice, welcoming, and artsy. It is near the much larger city of San Marcos which is still far less than 300,000 (60,000). Honestly I think you will have to search to find the judgmental Bible Belt type. They are out there, but you gotta realize what leorah said above is 'gospel truth' - most people here are of the live-and-let-live type. Anybody is accepted. Just watch the Anthony Bourdain episode about Houston. That is the basic Texan attitude and state of mind. It's just when people come here and try to change the laws and customs to match back home that Texans get defensive.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:01 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
I lived in Dripping Springs (Hill Country town) for many years, and religion was a non-issue. I do think religion can be an issue in east Texas, which is more like the Deep South, but not elsewhere in the state.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:51 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,450,187 times
Quote:
Stay in Cali if you don't want to be judged by the "judgmental Bible Belt types". You sound like a typical Californian type.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
I just have to say - the irony of this post blows me away.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:11 PM

101 posts, read 159,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Stay in Cali if you don't want to be judged by the "judgmental Bible Belt types". You sound like a typical Californian type.
Absolutely agree.

Posts like the OP's blow me away. Do they realize that by saying that they are actually making a judgment, as well?

Old 12-26-2016, 01:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Hill Country is big enough for quite a few CA transplants, and communities vary, so find one that fits your needs / activities and ages and interests of your kids. (There are some very great Bible schools and camps in TX and CA!)

Fair warning.... no Prop 13 benefits in TX, so keep your CA property as investment / place to flee in retirement. Many CA coworkers did that very successfully. It would have been a good idea for ALL CA real estate equity to remain in CA, and the western states would have still have affordable housing.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:02 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just have to say - the irony of this post blows me away.
Doesn't it, thought?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas