Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 05:58 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,640,884 times

Advertisements

This had been bugging me for a while. Where are you exactly?

Many times it is the hit and run posters though ... the ones that post one of those questions like "...is (this/that place) nice? How's the weather? Is the traffic bad? Places to shop? etc". But, these folks never say where they are from thus any potential responders have no reference to base their answers on. Give some info about yourself folks!

Also, just in general folks will not put where they live(area) and just post their state ... duh! Or post no location at all ... double duh! This site is about "places/locales". Adding this little tidbit of info just adds to a poster's credibiility and helps responders IMO.

Texas is a big place ... where in Texas are you ... put it in your profile. America is pretty big too ... where are you in the U.S.?

Off my soapbox ... for now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 09:23 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,792 posts, read 4,159,989 times
Good one, BobTex.
Other annoying behaviors include:

1. People who post a question, get some nice replies, and never respond, acknowledge, thank, or give an update on their plans.

2. People who post questions about a place, and then some folks reply asking for a bit more information to help give a good answer, and the original poster never comes back to answer the questions.

3. The people who post things like "I'm moving to (wherever) in a few weeks, and I'll let you all know how it goes", or "I just moved to (wherever) and we're settling in but I'll post back in a few weeks and give my opinion of the town, schools, etc." And then they never post again.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:46 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,057,281 times
A lot of times, I think those people are "pot-stirrers." On the San Antonio forum, they will come in and ask a question or two that in previous days has been asked and answered, and has generally led to a fight. I don't think they are real people, since they never come back. I think they post and then sit back and get entertained. Some life, huh?

Old 03-02-2008, 11:18 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,289,790 times
I'm with y'all on this one, definitely! Sometimes I'm just nosy, um, er, interested in where people are from, heh. It does help, though. Alot of people ask about the culture here in Texas wondering if they'd fit in but depending on where they are coming from, it would help us respond better without having to ask all the time. I mean, this IS a city forum with various state threads, why wouldn't someone put where they are from, at least a state anyway, if you don't want to list a city or area.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:53 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,389,846 times
amen yall! i thought i was the only one with these pet peeves!!!

Old 03-02-2008, 12:10 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,481,036 times
Or what about the folks who say they are about to move to [your city] and need all of this advice and then you pull down all of the posters posts only to discover they posted the exact same thing on 13 other city forum, as if they are about to move to all 13 cities.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:20 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,967,644 times
Some maybe bots that come in post a pre-made message, and then tag responses too a website. I have seen that on other forums.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:20 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,024,434 times
I agree with y'all!

Another type of post that annoys me is the "help me choose a location" variety. How on Earth can perfect strangers recommend a community to another perfect stranger? Why don't they DO THE RESEARCH?! VISIT places that intrigue them? Do the math and find a place that fits their budget, interests, job, and demographics requirements themselves!

OK, I feel better now, LOL.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:39 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,389,846 times
absolutely....agreed. one must do alot of research-google the areas, visit etc...the forum is great to get some "personal" feedback from others, hopefully with knowledge of the area, and to listen to their experiences...and to keep in mind that everyone is different, everyone has different experiences with living in areas, depending on their priorities, needs, desires, hobbies, lifestyle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I agree with y'all!

Another type of post that annoys me is the "help me choose a location" variety. How on Earth can perfect strangers recommend a community to another perfect stranger? Why don't they DO THE RESEARCH?! VISIT places that intrigue them? Do the math and find a place that fits their budget, interests, job, and demographics requirements themselves!

OK, I feel better now, LOL.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 5 days ago)

52,711 posts, read 48,015,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Or what about the folks who say they are about to move to [your city] and need all of this advice and then you pull down all of the posters posts only to discover they posted the exact same thing on 13 other city forum, as if they are about to move to all 13 cities.
It makes one wonder, doesn't it?? Can you say 'troll alert'??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas