Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2019, 01:55 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Before we had the San Diego section of the wall it was really bad. As in, we looked at a place right on the beach but all the neighbors said there were illegals streaming through on a nightly basis. Another friend of mine lived next to the 15 freeway and she said she could hear them talking as they walked by on a trail that paralleled the freeway. That if they forgot to bring in clothes off the clothesline the illegals would steal them. There were those funny signs posted all over about illegals running across the highway, beware.

But, that wall solved all that and we rarely hear about anyone sneaking across where the wall is in place anymore. So yes, it works wonders.
I am a Democrat who believes that illegal immigration is a problem that needs to be solved. Allowing people to come in unchecked is a terrible idea. The US needs to know whom is here and it’s unfair to let people in who haven’t followed the rules when so many people who are trying to do it legally are still waiting.

That being said, a wall isn’t a one size fits all solution to our problem. I’m glad it works in San Diego. It doesn’t make sense everywhere such as through a canyon or where there’s river flooding or the need to access river water for agriculture or ranching. There are other solutions available for those areas. A friend of mine works for a company that’s developing a variety of high tech solutions that are more flexible and quickly scalable than a wall. He’s going down to the Valley soon to start testing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 03:37 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I'm from San Antonio, where everyone I know (including our elected officials) is opposed to the wall. Are people in other parts of the state in favor of the wall?
Yes, I support the wall. As a matter of fact, I wish they would put a wall around the entire state.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:18 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
These were your questions.

as if I heard it from someone else. That wouldn't be my opinion now, would it? So it's pretty obvious it's ME that's posting it.

And then you ask

What kind of question is that? I am posting an opinion on a public forum. That's it, nothing else. If you don't agree with me that's fine but post a valid rebuttal, not a question like that. I would call that trolling.
You can call it whatever you like. The problem here, it seems, is you don't understand what I'm talking about and obviously I did not understand you. To me (anyway), you appeared to be stating facts, not opinions. We all voice opinions on here, but to make a statement such as "asylum seekers will already be in the US. No way to turn them around, they have to be processed and we are stuck with them for a good while at least" seems to be stated as fact. You make it sound like if some wetbacks wade the river and are strolling up and down a barren, narrow strip of land between the river and a wall, they are as good as in like Flint. IDK, what is it you are saying? That we are then obligated to throw them a rope ladder over so they can climb over the wall and come on in? That we put them up, shelter and provide for them for God only knows how long as we process them after we helped them scale the wall to come on in. Maybe we just need recordings up and down the border with a loud booming voice saying "come on in" - make it sound like that TV show the Price is Right, you know the one where they say "come on down". Put out welcome signs and have welcome wagons at every mile or so intervals.

Btw, I got a kick out of your trolling references.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I am a Democrat who believes that illegal immigration is a problem that needs to be solved. Allowing people to come in unchecked is a terrible idea. The US needs to know whom is here and it’s unfair to let people in who haven’t followed the rules when so many people who are trying to do it legally are still waiting.

That being said, a wall isn’t a one size fits all solution to our problem. I’m glad it works in San Diego. It doesn’t make sense everywhere such as through a canyon or where there’s river flooding or the need to access river water for agriculture or ranching. There are other solutions available for those areas. A friend of mine works for a company that’s developing a variety of high tech solutions that are more flexible and quickly scalable than a wall. He’s going down to the Valley soon to start testing them.
I'm for doing whatever it takes. Put a wall where it will work and put something else where it's deemed a wall will not work for whatever reasons due to nature. Just start doing something instead of talking and do it now. The old saying put up or shut up comes to mind.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:00 PM

705 posts, read 562,192 times
I know quite a few folks down here in the RGV that are in favor of the wall, myself included.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:50 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I'm for doing whatever it takes. Put a wall where it will work and put something else where it's deemed a wall will not work for whatever reasons due to nature. Just start doing something instead of talking and do it now. The old saying put up or shut up comes to mind.
The problem is that the President is insisting on the wall or nothing. Building a wall along our entire Southern border is slow, insanely expensive, and causes more problems than it solves in many areas. There are options that can be deployed much faster and won't tie the country up in expensive and long, drawn-out eminent domain lawsuits if the President was willing to be less rigid and open to other options.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:57 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
I know quite a few folks down here in the RGV that are in favor of the wall, myself included.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:19 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
You can call it whatever you like. The problem here, it seems, is you don't understand what I'm talking about and obviously I did not understand you. To me (anyway), you appeared to be stating facts, not opinions. We all voice opinions on here, but to make a statement such as "asylum seekers will already be in the US. No way to turn them around, they have to be processed and we are stuck with them for a good while at least" seems to be stated as fact. You make it sound like if some wetbacks wade the river and are strolling up and down a barren, narrow strip of land between the river and a wall, they are as good as in like Flint. IDK, what is it you are saying? That we are then obligated to throw them a rope ladder over so they can climb over the wall and come on in? That we put them up, shelter and provide for them for God only knows how long as we process them after we helped them scale the wall to come on in. Maybe we just need recordings up and down the border with a loud booming voice saying "come on in" - make it sound like that TV show the Price is Right, you know the one where they say "come on down". Put out welcome signs and have welcome wagons at every mile or so intervals.

Btw, I got a kick out of your trolling references.
You are misinformed obviously, it is a fact, I live here and see and hear about it every day. They are coming over in droves, they swim or come over in rafts, doesn't matter. The fence (not wall) is up to a mile from the river in some places. These illegals are not even reaching the wall. They just turn themselves into border patrol. Border patrol is not waiting for them at the river to turn them around. Once they cross the middle of the river and reach the US side, BP can't turn them around. It doesn't work that way. By law they have to apprehend them, process, deport or whatever. So, the majority of the people, as I stated, are from Central America. They are NOT from Mexico, so we can't just throw them back into Mexico. They are also seeking asylum which is the reason they are turning themselves in and making no effort to allude authorities. The BP is not capable of holding this many people, no way, no how. They have to process them, schedule hearings, let them go tempoarily, whatever they end up doing. The majority are now processed, they get clothes and a bus ticket up north and are supposed to show to up to hearings. Obviously, that is not happening in the majority of cases.

So back to the wall, since it is not right at the river or in the middle of the river, the EXISTING fence doesn't do a thing, not one. These people are already here, we cannot pick them up, pack them in trucks and ship them right back. For one, BP doesn't do things that way, for two they are not from Mexico. So I repeat what I said in my first post, for most areas in Texas, the wall wouldn't do a damn thing. By treaty or whatever, the fence/wall cannot be built right at the river. It's already in many places in the RGV, it has been since 2008. There's no way the BP can be waiting at every spot on the river, impossible. The illegals will get across one way or another, that has already been seen. If they keep walking to the north, even if they couldn't climb over dig under or go around the wall, it doesn't matter, they are already here. They WANT to get caught.

I'm only describing the way things are now, currently. In the past it was different. There were more Mexicans coming. Now, there are hardly any Mexicans crossing. Things have changed.

In urban areas, a wall makes total sense. The illegals are not crossing out in the desert, it's too dangerous and for what? Most or all of Texas already has a barrier, the Rio Grande River.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You are misinformed obviously, it is a fact, I live here and see and hear about it every day. They are coming over in droves, they swim or come over in rafts, doesn't matter. The fence (not wall) is up to a mile from the river in some places. These illegals are not even reaching the wall. They just turn themselves into border patrol. Border patrol is not waiting for them at the river to turn them around. Once they cross the middle of the river and reach the US side, BP can't turn them around. It doesn't work that way. By law they have to apprehend them, process, deport or whatever. So, the majority of the people, as I stated, are from Central America. They are NOT from Mexico, so we can't just throw them back into Mexico. They are also seeking asylum which is the reason they are turning themselves in and making no effort to allude authorities. The BP is not capable of holding this many people, no way, no how. They have to process them, schedule hearings, let them go tempoarily, whatever they end up doing. The majority are now processed, they get clothes and a bus ticket up north and are supposed to show to up to hearings. Obviously, that is not happening in the majority of cases.

So back to the wall, since it is not right at the river or in the middle of the river, the EXISTING fence doesn't do a thing, not one. These people are already here, we cannot pick them up, pack them in trucks and ship them right back. For one, BP doesn't do things that way, for two they are not from Mexico. So I repeat what I said in my first post, for most areas in Texas, the wall wouldn't do a damn thing. By treaty or whatever, the fence/wall cannot be built right at the river. It's already in many places in the RGV, it has been since 2008. There's no way the BP can be waiting at every spot on the river, impossible. The illegals will get across one way or another, that has already been seen. If they keep walking to the north, even if they couldn't climb over dig under or go around the wall, it doesn't matter, they are already here. They WANT to get caught.

I'm only describing the way things are now, currently. In the past it was different. There were more Mexicans coming. Now, there are hardly any Mexicans crossing. Things have changed.

In urban areas, a wall makes total sense. The illegals are not crossing out in the desert, it's too dangerous and for what? Most or all of Texas already has a barrier, the Rio Grande River.
Of course I realize they are coming in droves from Central America.

The way I understand your insight on the situation, there is basically not much we can do to stop them. Am I correct in this?

As to your statement " Most or all of Texas already has a barrier, the Rio Grande River", the point of a wall is the river does not act as a barrier in many places. Another quote from you "They are coming over in droves, they swim or come over in rafts, doesn't matter" proves this very fact.

I will say I am not aware of a law that requires BP to arrest an illegal immigrant. I'm not saying there is or isn't such a law, I just stated I am unaware of it.

I find it disheartening, to say the least, that some American citizens are so nonchalant about the illegal immigration problem, especially at this time when it is abundantly out of control and we have a President willing and wanting to resolve the problem. To shrug and act like there's nothing you can do about it in certain areas of the country so just keep on with doing nothing about it exhibits such a defeatist attitude it just makes me want to scream.

I'm also going to venture out and say the wanting to get caught and getting caught are two different things. If your scenario continues to be played out I'm going to take a wild guess here and say it too will be stopped. Even if there is such a law as you say, I would make a gamble the BP will than likely be instructed to turn a blind eye and keep it turned. Furthermore, if no one enforces that said law, who is going to make them enforce it?

As to transporting them back to their origins, I don't think so. Let them go back the same way they came. America needs to grow a backbone and start making examples of these criminals and yes, if they are trying to enter our country illegally, they are criminals for that one reason alone.

I will again state if there is a better barrier solution in certain areas of the border, then we should employ it and I think President Trump would be agreeable. It appears to me he is just trying to get the ball rolling on DOING SOMETHING instead of the usual lip service. He is, after all, a businessman and obviously quite good at it seeing the position he is in, so yes, I think he will be open to other avenues in the ongoing process. It's plain as the nose on your face he is trying to put a stop to the illegals pouring into our country and I thank him for it and I'm 100% behind him on it.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:04 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Quote:
I find it disheartening, to say the least, that some American citizens are so nonchalant about the illegal immigration problem, especially at this time when it is abundantly out of control ...
A lot of us don't understand why immigration has suddenly become our #1 crisis when there's less illegal immigration now than any time since the early 70's. We're not nonchalant; we just don't want to waste money on ineffective solutions to a problem that is greatly exaggerated.
Attached Thumbnails
Does Texas support the border wall?-apprehensions.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas