Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,413 times

Advertisements

Saturation of dentists in cali is a big issue. I am thinking about living in Texas and was wondering if anyone else had done the same? Cali has large tax, housing is expensive, its hard to make a good living. Its basically lifestyle vs money. Anyone have stories that I can hear? Will it be worth it? I have always grew up in cali and love the diverse food, culture, endless activities, lots of attractions, beaches, weather, etc... So this will be a big jump and I want to make sure its a good decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 11:20 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
What is your budget for housing?Texas would be a big adjustment for someone coming from California.Best of luck,OP.Do you have any idea what parts of the state appeal to you?

Old 04-12-2017, 12:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
What is your budget for housing?Texas would be a big adjustment for someone coming from California.Best of luck,OP.Do you have any idea what parts of the state appeal to you?
Budget would be 500k. I currently have family living in a 500k house in cali right now and its no where as beautiful as the houses I could get in Texas. I would have to do more research in which area where there is little saturation of dentists. Are there any hidden costs? I am thinking it might not be so rosey dosey when it comes to the nitty gritty. I just want good food, cool activities to do, and I like the city atmosphere.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:18 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
The 'hidden' cost that sometimes catches people by surprise is property tax, but it really isn't that hidden.

More 'hidden' is the lower-level of social services, but those really only affect you when you need them....

Old 04-12-2017, 08:01 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Please do not move to one of our large metro areas and contribute to our rising cost of living.

Please consider instead moving to an underserved area (rural W. Texas, or the Rio Grande Valley, for example) instead.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:55 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
What an geocentric & condescending post. Answers to your questions found in your silly post below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalstudent25 View Post
Saturation of dentists in cali is a big issue. Not to me.

I am thinking about living in Texas and was wondering if anyone else had done the same? Tens of Thousands of people.

Cali has large INCOME tax, housing is expensive, - Yes, we have been told this. & some of us travel & some of us have family there and some of us read....so we actually already knew this. (oh, & I inserted the word that you left out).

its hard to make a good living. Define "good living" Doc.

Its basically lifestyle vs money. Where did you get the idea that a dentist from Cali can make "money" in Texas? Please provide a link.

& I'd rather maintain my Texas "lifestyle" than have it polluted by hip Cali professionals who can't hack it in their state and want to bring their inaccurate biases to ours.

Anyone have stories that I can hear? Will it be worth it? I have always grew up in cali and love the diverse food, We have diverse food....& one has to search (HARD) for decent BBQ & Tex-Mex, and good luck on finding a CFS in your state. (I do like Cal/Mex, but sometimes I get the jones for Tex/Mex)

culture, endless activities, lots of attractions, beaches, Hey Einstein....we have culture, endless activities, lots of attractions and beaches. Jeez dude?

weather, OK, your weather beats the cr*p out of ours.....but ours is better than a lot of the country (except June - Sept).

So this will be a big jump and I want to make sure its a good decision.
It's an awful decision. You'll starve here and we don't have a safety net.

Move to AZ or Vegas where they don't mind (or can't see) your juvenile & ill informed condescension.

Last edited by hound 109; 04-12-2017 at 10:03 AM..

Old 04-12-2017, 12:02 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
You haven't heard? Most of the population in Texas is toothless. Yep, just let 'em rot and fall out and then gum it, so not a big demand for dentists here.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:17 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Please do not move to one of our large metro areas and contribute to our rising cost of living.

Please consider instead moving to an underserved area (rural W. Texas, or the Rio Grande Valley, for example) instead.
And those areas probably need dentists more than Houston and DFW. There are more than enough dentists in DFW. I swear there's an office on every corner.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:47 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalstudent25 View Post
Saturation of dentists in cali is a big issue. I am thinking about living in Texas and was wondering if anyone else had done the same? Cali has large tax, housing is expensive, its hard to make a good living. Its basically lifestyle vs money. Anyone have stories that I can hear? Will it be worth it? I have always grew up in cali and love the diverse food, culture, endless activities, lots of attractions, beaches, weather, etc... So this will be a big jump and I want to make sure its a good decision.
The Great state of Texas has a great diversity of food, culture,and activities also..We also have beaches.Most people seem to like the california climate better but the real good climate there is only within a few miles of the coast.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:21 PM

1,158 posts, read 959,756 times
Texas metro areas might be oversaturated too. I live in a small town 15 miles outside of Fort Worth and there are 12 dentists within a 1.5 mile radius of my house...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas