Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 02:11 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
I would say Plano has the uniform blandness of Irvine, but is no match for the uniform-blandness-by-deisgn of McKinney.
McKinney at least has a nicer historic downtown and more "topography" than Plano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 02:12 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
This is 100% true. I find it more common that I know more about Dallas than most "Natives."

The same is true with Houston, when in college, I went out with a girl from NW Houston, and when I came to visit she didn't know what to do. We went to the galleria and she got me mugged, but that is about it. I thought Houston must suck.

One of my best buddies wife was from Chicago, but she lived in Houston for 2 years and I went down to visit them at one point. She lived in Kingwood ( So WAY further out than my ex) but she knew where all the cool spots were. I saw more with them in two days than I did with my ex in a week.
Similar experience. There's a reason why I try to separate "Dallas" from the DFW suburbs.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:11 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,306,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
McKinney at least has a nicer historic downtown and more "topography" than Plano.
That was my first thought. I love the historic homes in old McKinney.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:30 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Midland/Odessa = Palmdale, Bakersfield, Merced, etc.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:52 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,878,536 times
As someone who lives in Nashville, I never been to Austin but from all the people I know that visited Austin from Nashville they mostly said they are not very similar at all except for the live music thing and a lot of growth from millennials. I heard Austin has a West Coast City vibe going on from all the transplants but I would have to check that out for myself.

Last edited by Vanderbiltgrad; 06-18-2017 at 11:03 PM..

Old 06-18-2017, 11:38 PM

817 posts, read 922,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Midland/Odessa = Palmdale, Bakersfield, Merced, etc.
No oil in Palmdale but it could be an equally good site for Live PD.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:03 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,538,629 times
To put the predictable Austin comparisons to rest, let’s compare San Antonio to San Diego.

Both cities are the state’s often overlooked third city (although SA despite being larger is often put in fourth place behind Austin)

Both cities have around the same population with SA having 1,492,510 and SD having 1,327,407, although SD metro is much larger.

Both cities are very “touristy” with large zoos and theme parks, both have Sea Worlds.

Both cities have a pretty laid back reputation to them.

Both cities have a strong military presence with San Antonio being more Army/Airforce and San Diego being more Marine/Navy.

Both cities are named after saints, SD for Saint Didacus of Alcalá and SA for Saint Anthony of Padua.

Both cities have old Spanish Missions and were both part of New Spain at one time.

One city loves carne asada burritos and the other loves carne guisada tacos.

This is pretty much where the similarities stop, SD’s home prices and wages are much higher than SA. SD also has a much larger concentration of wealth than does SA. SD is also much more diverse as far as its population goes and the universities in SD (UCSD, USD, SDSU) are superior to those in SA (UTSA, TRINITY, UIW). The economy seems much more diversified in SD than SA.

I might also make an argument the Fresno and Bakersfield have many similarities to the Rio Grande Valley in Texas.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:43 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
City in Texas most "alike" California makes no sense to me. California is a state, and a large one at that, and not all of California is alike. Texas is also a large state and our cities/suburbs/areas are not all alike.
Bingo. Riverside is not the same as San Francisco is not the same as San Diego is not the same as Eureka.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:15 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,573,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
I read an article saying African Americans are the only group that defines the term liberal as purely economic issues. Other groups base it more on social issues.

Personally, my view is that is you aren't pro gay rights, immigrant rights, and/or pro choice, you cannot be liberal.
Yeah. Good point. The most liberal county in Texas is actually down by the border. I think Hilary got 90% of the vote in one county. The county is also heavily Hispanic. Most of them will vote dem, but I assure you they aren't pro gay rights or pro choice. Same with a lot of blacks that vote for democrats. It's just what most blacks and Hispanics do as they don't trust republicans.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:26 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yeah. Good point. The most liberal county in Texas is actually down by the border. I think Hilary got 90% of the vote in one county. The county is also heavily Hispanic. Most of them will vote dem, but I assure you they aren't pro gay rights or pro choice. Same with a lot of blacks that vote for democrats. It's just what most blacks and Hispanics do as they don't trust republicans.
Yes but since the late 90s, white liberal supposed progressives have been trying to shift the meaning of progressvism toward social issues when the movement began largely, albeit not exclusively, about economic issues. Now Hillary Clinton gets to call herself a "progressive".

When yuppie liberals talk about liberal cities in their mags they usually look for food co-ops, LGBT friendly establishments, and other things crunchy. They rarely look at things that a city such as Houston already has such an extensive network of community and public health facilities to help out people who lack the funds for healthcare, affordable housing initiatives, better social services for people in need and public housing. You know things that matter to working people when in need?

I think it's cus Houston is a working class, minority majority blue collar Democrat city sort of like Detroit (minus the union power) that it doesn't get the title of being "liberal" because it lacks that kitschy urban professional yuppie feel white liberals like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas