Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 10:18 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
I am a 4th generation Texan on my mothers side of the family, and I just recently found out on the 4th of July that I am a 6th generation Texan on my dad side of the family. I mean you do have to be born here to be a Texan. I guess someone who loves/respects the culture can be a naturalized Texan, it just bothers me a little bit, to be honest...
It honestly bothers you that someone who loves and respects Texas culture (and who presumably lives here) can be a naturalized Texan? Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 08:13 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
I was born in Colorado, but don't consider myself a native Coloradoan as I lived there a little less than a year as a baby. I grew up in Idaho so I consider myself a native Idahoan.

I've lived in Texas over 7 years now, (minus a couple summers spent in Alaska and Europe) and I'm beginning to see myself as a Naturalized Texan, sorta. My alma mater is here, many of my friends live here, I pay taxes here and I vote here. The longer I stay the harder it becomes to leave here, but if I did, and returned to the mountains of the west, I'm sure I would take a bit of Texas with me.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:19 AM

875 posts, read 1,661,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It honestly bothers you that someone who loves and respects Texas culture (and who presumably lives here) can be a naturalized Texan? Wow.
Well, I dont mind someone who loves the culture and respects the state, thats awesome, really it is. The problem I have is that when folks start claiming a place you are not from or have little to no ties too. I mean saying your a Texan is actually doing that. I love New York state, I would live there in a min. if I could..but even after 15,20 years of me being there (regardless of laws) I am and will always be a Texan. Now, I will respect New Yorker's and I will immerse myself in the culture there, but you will NEVER hear me say I am New Yorker, those words will never come out of my mouth, out of respect for New York. Now, I dont want you to think I am being mean or rude, I am very accepting and welcoming to many different types of transplants to the state. I just have so much history here (like MANY others) and it just feels awkward coming from someone who was not born and/or raised here.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:22 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
So what do you call a baby that was born on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean? Where are they a native of?

Old 07-25-2017, 02:31 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
So what do you call a baby that was born on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean? Where are they a native of?
International waters. Lol

Or just whatever nation the mother is native to. I guess

Old 07-25-2017, 08:48 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Well, I dont mind someone who loves the culture and respects the state, thats awesome, really it is. The problem I have is that when folks start claiming a place you are not from or have little to no ties too. I mean saying your a Texan is actually doing that. I love New York state, I would live there in a min. if I could..but even after 15,20 years of me being there (regardless of laws) I am and will always be a Texan. Now, I will respect New Yorker's and I will immerse myself in the culture there, but you will NEVER hear me say I am New Yorker, those words will never come out of my mouth, out of respect for New York. Now, I dont want you to think I am being mean or rude, I am very accepting and welcoming to many different types of transplants to the state. I just have so much history here (like MANY others) and it just feels awkward coming from someone who was not born and/or raised here.
Oh well, I guess all I can say is "too bad." I've lived in Texas for 25 years and consider myself a Texan. It really doesn't bother me that you don't. Like I said earlier, my ancestor fought at Goliad, but even if he hadn't, I'd still consider myself a Texan.

Now - I'm not a native Texan. I'm a native of New Orleans - and while I am proud to be and I love New Orleans, my heart belongs to Texas. I voluntarily moved here, embraced the culture, the people, etc, married a (native) Texan and had my youngest child here as well. I raised all my kids here. I vote here, pay taxes here, work here, volunteer here, and otherwise support my community and Texas here. So yeah..no offense but if you don't consider me a Texan I'm really not going to lose any sleep over it. I'm very confident in my own identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas