Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 05:14 PM

295 posts, read 355,760 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Unlike most Californians that move to TX - I have a deep relationship with CA. And never thought I would leave. However, there are a few great things that TX has which California (The Golden State) does not have:
1. No state income tax
2. Easier to start a business.

With this said, I am considering H-Town and Austin. My field is Accounting. I am American born Muslim. Love Basketball. What city would one recommend? Also, TX has the potential to become better than California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 05:31 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
If you like basketball then Houston is a better choice. There's also a bigger Muslim population in Houston.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:34 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersWon310 View Post
Hello,

Unlike most Californians that move to TX - I have a deep relationship with CA. And never thought I would leave. However, there are a few great things that TX has which California (The Golden State) does not have:
1. No state income tax
2. Easier to start a business.

With this said, I am considering H-Town and Austin. My field is Accounting. I am American born Muslim. Love Basketball. What city would one recommend? Also, TX has the potential to become better than California.
If you are Muslim and that is important to you, Houston and Dallas will offer more than Austin. However, its not really a big deal. You can get by in any of the major cities.

Austin isnt a pro-sports town at all. Dallas and Houston are the big sports cities because they have the pro teams.

If you are looking to start your own business and your field is corporate accounting, the demand for your services would actually be the greatest in Dallas because it is the financial city in Texas. However, if your doing personal accounting then it really doesnt matter. Youll have to start from scratch and build your base no matter where you go.

Im from LA (Clippers fan though) and Ive lived in Dallas and Houston as well as spent ample time in Austin. You will find that Houston probably feels the most like LA. Dallas feels more like Orange County. Austin feels more like Berkeley. Though to be frank none of the above is a carbon copy of them. Not even close.

Houston is most laid back and most international. Its also pretty unkempt. There is no zoning and people and can appear slobbish. Its like an ugly girl with an exceptional personality. Its a city that no one loves at first sight, but that most people love once they get to know it. Its definitely a hidden gem.

Austin thinks its the most laid back, but is actually pretentious in its own right. However, it definitely has a unique vibe that cant really be matched. Its definitely the prettiest of the three. It is also by far the least diverse and isnt international at all.

Dallas is sort of a mix between Houston and Austin. Its pretentious, but it doesnt try to hide it. Its also extremely diverse and growingly international like Houston, just not to the same degree as Houston. Dallas is however the least friendly of all cities in Texas. That said, if you do like sports it is the best sports city in Texas and the fans are die hard. Being a Cowboys fan from birth, I related quite well to it when I lived up there.

It should also be noted that Houston's economy is still doing ok but its fallen on some hard times with oil. Its not terribly dramatic, but jobs are not as plentiful as they once were. However, Austin and especially Dallas are booming.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:37 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
If you are Muslim and that is important to you, Houston and Dallas will offer more than Austin. However, its not really a big deal. You can get by in any of the major cities.

Austin isnt a pro-sports town at all. Dallas and Houston are the big sports cities because they have the pro teams.

If you are looking to start your own business and your field is corporate accounting, the demand for your services would actually be the greatest in Dallas because it is the financial city in Texas. However, if your doing personal accounting then it really doesnt matter. Youll have to start from scratch and build your base no matter where you go.

Im from LA (Clippers fan though) and Ive lived in Dallas and Houston as well as spent ample time in Austin. You will find that Houston probably feels the most like LA. Dallas feels more like Orange County. Austin feels more like Berkeley. Though to be frank none of the above is a carbon copy of them. Not even close.

Houston is most laid back and most international.
Austin thinks its the most laid back, but is actually pretentious in its own right. However, it definitely has a unique vibe that cant really be matched. Its definitely the prettiest of the three. It is also by far the least diverse and isnt international at all.
Dallas is sort of a mix between Houston and Austin. Its pretentious, but it doesnt try to hide it. Its also extremely diverse and growingly international like Houston, just not to the same degree as Houston.

Hope that helps.
I like the way you phrased that. SO true. I was really surprised by it when I spent time there.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:38 PM

First things first - I would like to thank radio, cowboy, and Jen for participating in this underrated thread.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
If you like basketball then Houston is a better choice. There's also a bigger Muslim population in Houston.
I definitely enjoy Basketball - And that's good. What are the other advantages of living in Houston vs the other Texas big cities?

Old 07-25-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post

Houston is most laid back and most international. Its also pretty unkempt. There is no zoning and people and can appear slobbish. Its like an ugly girl with an exceptional personality. Its a city that no one loves at first sight, but that most people love once they get to know it. Its definitely a hidden gem.

Dallas is sort of a mix between Houston and Austin. Its pretentious, but it doesnt try to hide it. Its also extremely diverse and growingly international like Houston, just not to the same degree as Houston. Dallas is however the least friendly of all cities in Texas. That said, if you do like sports it is the best sports city in Texas and the fans are die hard. Being a Cowboys fan from birth, I related quite well to it when I lived up there.

It should also be noted that Houston's economy is still doing ok but its fallen on some hard times with oil. Its not terribly dramatic, but jobs are not as plentiful as they once were. However, Austin and especially Dallas are booming.

Hope that helps.
Being Muslim is important but all 4 big cities (Austin/Houston/San Antonio/Dallas-Fort Worth) have numerous mosques so there should be no problem. Austin does not have professional teams BUT it does have college teams, so I don't know if that's a valid statement.

Dallas being financial capital of Texas is not something one would expect - for whatever reason it seemed like Houston is the financial capital.

Houston definitely reminds me of LA. I have nothing against Dallas, but I don't feel like it's somewhere I would want to live. Although I've only been to Dallas just once. The vibe of Houston cannot be matched to Dallas. Don't get me wrong on Dallas being the financial capital.

A few questions below:

1. How much of a finding a job in the Accounting in Houston / Austin compare to Dallas? Why isn't Houston the financial capital of TX?

2. What is the most underrated city of TX in terms of Housing/Jobs(Accounting)/Weather?

3. What is the best city of TX? (Some say Houston, some say Dallas, some say Austin, and some say San Antonio)

Old 07-25-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I like the way you phrased that. SO true. I was really surprised by it when I spent time there.
How is that even true? How would one describe cities like Waco?

Old 07-25-2017, 07:21 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersWon310 View Post
How is that even true? How would one describe cities like Waco?
Gritty and rundown.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:44 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
San Antonio is the best basketball town. Hands down. It's also cheaper than Austin, but only an hour away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas