Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2019, 01:51 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I think you just posted a Freudian slip by saying most Dallasites don't care much about Dallas...

Since we are dealing with more psychobabble, Inferiority complexes manifest themselves in many ways. One of which is pretending to be superior or indifferent to whoever one is comparing themselves with.

To say Dallas posters don't care about Houston has been disproven by your own and others obsessive posting in threads that deal with comparisons of Houston to Dallas. We all who do post obviously DO care...deal with it.
I will give them this. People in Dallas dont tend to talk glowingly about Houston, however when it comes to the rivalry (comparing the two and trying to explain why one city is better) that is much more a Houston thing than Dallas. I lived in Dallas 6 years and have lived here 5. I dont think I ever heard anyone in Dallas try to tell my why it was better than Houston even though I heard plenty of things like "Houston sucks" or "I dont like Houston" or whatever.

In Houston, you also get the "Dallas sucks" or "Dallas is boring" and the like, but you also get a lot of "Houston is better than Dallas because..." and "This is why Dallas sucks...". People in Dallas dont tend to go into it that deeply. Its more of a topic thats just brushed off. People in Houston tend to pick apart Dallas much moreso than the other way around.

Old 12-10-2019, 02:23 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I will give them this. People in Dallas dont tend to talk glowingly about Houston, however when it comes to the rivalry (comparing the two and trying to explain why one city is better) that is much more a Houston thing than Dallas. I lived in Dallas 6 years and have lived here 5. I dont think I ever heard anyone in Dallas try to tell my why it was better than Houston even though I heard plenty of things like "Houston sucks" or "I dont like Houston" or whatever.

In Houston, you also get the "Dallas sucks" or "Dallas is boring" and the like, but you also get a lot of "Houston is better than Dallas because..." and "This is why Dallas sucks...". People in Dallas dont tend to go into it that deeply. Its more of a topic thats just brushed off. People in Houston tend to pick apart Dallas much moreso than the other way around.
I certainly can't argue with your experience in living in both places, but I will say there may be some very good reasons why people in Houston feel the need to explain themselves when they make comparative statements and people in North Texas don't. Houstonians may feel that dismissive statements are unfair and we should give some basis for making such declarative statements, while North Texans may not feel their arguments in favor of their Metro are logical enough to say out loud, and would be embarrassed by their failure to articulate a good rational.

I understand there may be hundreds of other interpretations , but I don't think that giving more detail as to what your basis is for having the opinions you do, is necessarily a bad thing, or evidence of insecurity and may actually be a sign of being more confident in your opinions

Old 12-10-2019, 02:23 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
Quote:

Everyone's views vary. I lived in DFW for over 5 years (and visit multiple times a year) and heard that "Houston is the armpit of Texas", "all of our crap flows to Houston in the Trinity", "Houston is dirty and not clean like Dallas", "people in Houston are ratchet", etc. It definitely goes both ways and you can't say one does it more than the other. Only in football does this happen between the cities, where it's more a rivalry on Houston's side.

Old 12-10-2019, 02:33 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,267,122 times
Quote:
I think you just posted a Freudian slip by saying most Dallasites don't care much about Dallas...
LOL yeah, I'm dyslexic as ****

Old 12-10-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
while North Texans may not feel their arguments in favor of their Metro are logical enough to say out loud, and would be embarrassed by their failure to articulate a good rational.
LOL bro, could you SOUND like more of a homer?

Old 12-10-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:

Case in point:

At a party, there was this gal from Houston. Said Dallas sucked. My brother, who has been to Houston a few times shrugged and said he wasn't really a fan and prefered Dallas.

She went on a long and boorish rant about how Houston was better than Dallas and Dallas sucked.

At the end no one's opinion was changed, my brother shrugged again and said "Yeah, maybe, but I've been there and I just like Dallas better"

I feel like that is a pretty good summary about how most of those conversations go.

PS She pretends to hate Dallas, but actually she likes it just fine. She only hates it in the context of being a Houston homer.

Old 12-10-2019, 03:14 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Case in point:

At a party, there was this gal from Houston. Said Dallas sucked. My brother, who has been to Houston a few times shrugged and said he wasn't really a fan and prefered Dallas.

She went on a long and boorish rant about how Houston was better than Dallas and Dallas sucked.

At the end no one's opinion was changed, my brother shrugged again and said "Yeah, maybe, but I've been there and I just like Dallas better"

I feel like that is a pretty good summary about how most of those conversations go.

PS She pretends to hate Dallas, but actually she likes it just fine. She only hates it in the context of being a Houston homer.
I was at a party and these dudes were like "you're from Houston? Ah man! You know our **** flows there! That's why it always stinks!". I had to remind these dudes that they were actually from "Aggtown", so why are they claiming Dallas now? But they stayed in Dallas when they were kids... Funny thing though is one dude from FW was there and said he liked Houston better cause it felt more like a city. At the end of it, no one gave a **** and we kept having fun...

What I find the funniest is people from Dallas, at least on C-D, try their hardest to deny the rivalry which shows me that it actually exists well, especially in the natives. I've heard trash talk on Houston from too many natives while living in DFW so it's there. Where I actually have not heard it is in Houston unless it's sports related. The transplants in both places are a different story.

Old 12-10-2019, 03:21 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,662 times
Default You wouldnt include Austin?

That is a surprise

Quote:
If I had to move away from DFW, Houston is the only other place in Texas that would make my top 10 list.

Old 12-10-2019, 03:29 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
LOL bro, could you SOUND like more of a homer?
BOOM, drop the mic I'm a homer....

Quote:
Case in point:

I take it both of these parties were in Dallas ? Momma told me not to come ,That ain't no way to have fun, son...(some may be too young to get that reference)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I was at a party and these dudes were like "you're from Houston? Ah man! You know our **** flows there! That's why it always stinks!". I had to remind these dudes that they were actually from "Aggtown", so why are they claiming Dallas now? But they stayed in Dallas when they were kids... Funny thing though is one dude from FW was there and said he liked Houston better cause it felt more like a city. At the end of it, no one gave a **** and we kept having fun...

What I find the funniest is people from Dallas, at least on C-D, try their hardest to deny the rivalry which shows me that it actually exists well, especially in the natives. I've heard trash talk on Houston from too many natives while living in DFW so it's there. Where I actually have not heard it is in Houston unless it's sports related. The transplants in both places are a different story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
That is a surprise
Naw Treasure is secretly in love with Houston, he just needs to get over his anxiety about Houston first, then he'll make the big move to Houston that he's been wanting too make for way too long...

Old 12-10-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:

Naw Treasure is secretly in love with Houston, he just needs to get over his anxiety about Houston first, then he'll make the big move to Houston that he's been wanting too make for way too long...
I mean I've been saying for years that I like Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas