Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2019, 06:15 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,270,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Considering I come from the actually "country" aka STICKS aka Piney Woods where everybody even people in Waco of all places consider East Texas country, I don't find Houstonian's more country than Dallasites. Now I do find older native Houstonian's and Dallasites with a just as heavy of a Texas drawl as any rural area in Texas. But both cities are way too big, way to many transplants and way too much national exposure and diversity for me to consider one more countrier than the other.

I know when it comes to Black cultures of either city, people often do generalize DFW as having the more country Black folks. But anytime I go back home to East Texas and return to Houston, I realize how not "country" Houstonian's or Dallasites are in the truest sense. It's just way too much going on in the metros to be considered that even in Texas.

I wouldn't even consider being laid back necessarily a country trait.
"Country" of course is relative.

Compared to East Texas, neither city is "Country" I totally agree with that.

Houston, feels more blue collar than Dallas and it always seems to me like more people drive trucks there. That's just the vib I get, I have not idea on the actual stats. It feels more Deep Southern.

I don't really even know how to define "Country" Rural people in The South on average feel more "Country" than people in the Rural West.

I'm from a very rural state that is much larger than East Texas but has a smaller population (and much less density) but it feels less "Country" even if it is more rural than east Texas (or honestly just downright wilderness).

Not all rural areas are the same and there are huge regional differences.

That is a different topic though.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:43 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,414,089 times
Default Boy this is great news

I'm glad to see this being developed in Downtown instead of Plano or Frisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post

Old 12-13-2019, 07:29 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,509,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Well Dallas is also very bad at random ending sidewalks. No one is holding Dallas up as a great example of this, but Houston is worse.

But the M Streets, Old East Dallas, South Dallas/ Fair Park, North Oak Cliff, etc all have more intact sidewalks and urban streetscapes than Houston's comparable neighborhoods.

Cedar Crest is about on par with the Heights in terms of level of inconsistency of sidewalks as the Heights. (though of course the Heights is a much nicer area)
Most neighborhoods do have sidewalks and Treasure how many people are going to be looking around town either in person or on Google maps looking for sidewalk coverage ? The main commercial streets do have them, and one thing I found out being involved in my neighborhoods business is that sidewalks are expensive as heck. We got a bid for about 95 feet of code compliant concrete sidewalk and it came in at over 4k, so we ended up going with decomposed granite instead for about $1500...

Old 12-13-2019, 08:47 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,459,617 times
I can't remember not one neighborhood in Dallas without sidewalks.....not one.....not saying it dont exist but I was born and raised here and even the worst neighborhoods had sidewalks....

Old 12-13-2019, 09:03 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,412,948 times
Quote:
I can't remember not one neighborhood in Dallas without sidewalks.....not one.....not saying it dont exist but I was born and raised here and even the worst neighborhoods had sidewalks..

I just pointed some out - around White Rock Lake and Preston Hollow, and much of Old East Dallas.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I just pointed some out - around White Rock Lake and Preston Hollow, and much of Old East Dallas.
I guess that's the 0.0000001% of neighborhoods.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Most neighborhoods do have sidewalks and Treasure how many people are going to be looking around town either in person or on Google maps looking for sidewalk coverage ? The main commercial streets do have them, and one thing I found out being involved in my neighborhoods business is that sidewalks are expensive as heck. We got a bid for about 95 feet of code compliant concrete sidewalk and it came in at over 4k, so we ended up going with decomposed granite instead for about $1500...
It's noticeable enough if you have a point of reference outside of living in Houston. It's one of the 1st things I noticed about the "Urban" neighbourhoods in Houston such as the Heights..

Old 12-13-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Yeah, the more suburban neighbourhoods near White Rock, mostly east of the lake, but some one the west side. Some spots near the lake were built as suburban subdivisions as well. https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8250...7i13312!8i6656

It was never considered an urban city neighbourhood.

Most of them still have sidewalks:
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8172...7i16384!8i8192

The PreWar stuff in Lakewood all have sidewalks.

The vast majority of Old East Dallas is Pre War and has sidewalks.

The vast majority of Preston Hollow is Post War, and no one considered it "Urban." It was built as a wealthy suburb with large lots, stables etc. It is categorically different than the Heights in Houston.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I see sidewalks everywhere-White Rock:https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8390.../data=!3m1!1e3

I see sidewalks everywhere-Old East Dallas:https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ol...95!4d-96.77648

Aha!!!! Preston hollow does NOT have consistent sidewalks.....But the houses are so huge and nice you can tell the owners prefer the public to not have that kind of access to thier properties.....This is THE o.ooooo1% neighborhood.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I see sidewalks everywhere-White Rock:https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8390.../data=!3m1!1e3

I see sidewalks everywhere-Old East Dallas:https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ol...95!4d-96.77648

Aha!!!! Preston hollow does NOT have consistent sidewalks.....But the houses are so huge and nice you can tell the owners prefer the public to not have that kind of access to thier properties.....This is THE o.ooooo1% neighborhood.
Ok...I re-looked...I did see some small neighborhoods around White Rock but the difference is its looks more manicured...theres no ditches or unsightly cement pipes and lopsided driveways appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas