Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2019, 05:14 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,419,330 times

Advertisements

I was scared for a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ry1an3 View Post
Yeah let's take away the ditches that hold flood waters so we can add sidewalks for soy boys who want to ride bikes with skinny tires. Even though they will ride in the street anyway. I know in Dallas you don't get very much rain but if you took away the thousands of ditches in Houston you think that would help out the flooding issue we already have?

Old 12-12-2019, 05:36 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,651,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Both, but referring to the "Overall look" of the city.

Houston has more ditches, even in the city proper..

I mean even the more historic "urban" neighborhoods look more like Lufkin than Chicago, Nola or even Birmingham.

I would also say people feel more country too just because the city is a little more laid back, but really, It's more about how the city looks.
Considering I come from the actually "country" aka STICKS aka Piney Woods where everybody even people in Waco of all places consider East Texas country, I don't find Houstonian's more country than Dallasites. Now I do find older native Houstonian's and Dallasites with a just as heavy of a Texas drawl as any rural area in Texas. But both cities are way too big, way to many transplants and way too much national exposure and diversity for me to consider one more countrier than the other.

I know when it comes to Black cultures of either city, people often do generalize DFW as having the more country Black folks. But anytime I go back home to East Texas and return to Houston, I realize how not "country" Houstonian's or Dallasites are in the truest sense. It's just way too much going on in the metros to be considered that even in Texas.

I wouldn't even consider being laid back necessarily a country trait.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:41 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,419,330 times
Default Warehouse Live

I was driving around behind the George R Brown on St. Emannuel street and I stumbled across this area that reminded me of Deep Ellum with a bunch of old warehouses, art deco buildings and maybe an old china town. There were a lot of murals painted all over the alley ways. I cant believe this area isnt more famous. Ice been here 12 years and had never seen this area before. I thought that area was the old china town but it looks pretty happening.

813 St Emanuel St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/GSMh7NFZYcDw3w5J9

Old 12-12-2019, 06:54 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,283,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Show us these perfectly formed neighborhoods in Dallas that are comparable to the Heights that feature this perfect urban design concept you seem to demand...
Well Dallas is also very bad at random ending sidewalks. No one is holding Dallas up as a great example of this, but Houston is worse.

But the M Streets, Old East Dallas, South Dallas/ Fair Park, North Oak Cliff, etc all have more intact sidewalks and urban streetscapes than Houston's comparable neighborhoods.

Cedar Crest is about on par with the Heights in terms of level of inconsistency of sidewalks as the Heights. (though of course the Heights is a much nicer area)

Old 12-12-2019, 08:57 PM

6,301 posts, read 7,530,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Well Dallas is also very bad at random ending sidewalks. No one is holding Dallas up as a great example of this, but Houston is worse.

But the M Streets, Old East Dallas, South Dallas/ Fair Park, North Oak Cliff, etc all have more intact sidewalks and urban streetscapes than Houston's comparable neighborhoods.

Cedar Crest is about on par with the Heights in terms of level of inconsistency of sidewalks as the Heights. (though of course the Heights is a much nicer area)
For argument sake I will assume the neighborhoods you post above are as you say they are.

I don't know what the COH ordinance concerning sidewalks states exactly , but from what I have gathered the construction and maintenance of sidewalks in neighborhoods is the responsibility of the property owner the sidewalk passes in front of. Even most people in Houston don't know this, and think that no sidewalk or a crumbling sidewalk in front of their houses is the cities responsibility and in many cases they may even be waiting for the city to do something about it, which of course will not happen.

But many people do not want sidewalks in their neighborhoods to facilitate transient pedestrians, and in most cases HOA's have more influence over the construction and maintenance of sidewalks in their neighborhoods than the city.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:05 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,476,282 times
I would say about 99.99999% of the neighborhoods in Dallas good or bad have a consistent system of sidewalks.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:26 PM

6,301 posts, read 7,530,046 times
City of Houston Texas , Ordinance No. 2009-763

Scroll to section 3

https://www.houstontx.gov/planning/_urban/2009_763.pdf

Old 12-13-2019, 12:54 AM

638 posts, read 571,363 times
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...wntown-dallas/

Big D just keeps getting bigger.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
But many people do not want sidewalks in their neighborhoods to facilitate transient pedestrians, and in most cases HOA's have more influence over the construction and maintenance of sidewalks in their neighborhoods than the city.
Yeah and that is the case, this sort of thinking is very, very backwards.

Regardless of the reason, this makes Houston look disheveled.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I would say about 99.99999% of the neighborhoods in Dallas good or bad have a consistent system of sidewalks.
Only the core ones, and even then, Dallas is really bad at blocking them. For some dumb reason Dallas doesn't mandate scaffolding, or at least not enforce it downtown.

When I brought this up a few of the old Dallas homers mocked me for thinking that was a serious problem which just shows how little they walk around their own city.

Both cities hate pedestrians, though Houston is 100% worse.

I know a number of people who have been hit by cars in both cities while obeying the law. In Dallas my old roomate was hit in the crosswalk by some guy in a corvette who only stopped to yell at him for denting his car and sped away when he realized my friend was crossing legally.

Since he wasn't killed or "seriously" injured it was never "solved" because quite frankly, it isn't a priority for the city.

A college friend had her fiance murdered by a pickup driver in Houston who was driving recklessly and killed him as he rode his bike, again following all the traffic laws.

It's really no surprise sidewalks are not a priority and when a driver kills someone they bend over backwards to blame the ped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas