Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stronger Relationship: Houston-Beaumont or DFW-Tyler?
Houston-Beaumont 20 71.43%
DFW-Tyler 8 28.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 02:18 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
According to recent voting results (both presidential and local), in the city of Dallas, liberals dominate by far. But as soon as you step out the city in any direction, conservatives are the dominant ones.
Okay, but that's the same with ANY big, liberal leaning city in Texas, including Houston, or "liberal heaven" Austin. Yes, there are big, liberal, blue cities in Texas these days, but Texas is still by and large a red and VERY conservative state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 02:24 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
You might want to add the entire state of Louisiana to Houston-Beaumont. Houston does serve as an anchor city, especially for Southern Louisiana (all the way to New Orleans) and even Shreveport.
Houston is definitely the anchor city for New Orleans and southern Louisiana, but Dallas is the anchor city for northern Louisiana and particularly Shreveport. I thought everyone in Texas and Louisiana knew that...

Old 09-09-2017, 02:34 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Houston is definitely the anchor city for New Orleans and southern Louisiana, but Dallas is the anchor city for northern Louisiana and particularly Shreveport. I thought everyone in Texas and Louisiana knew that...
Yeah, the northern part of Louisiana is much more in Dallas' sphere of influence than Houston's. Southern Louisiana is, of course, in Houston's sphere of influence.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:02 PM

9,899 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Okay, but that's the same with ANY big, liberal leaning city in Texas, including Houston, or "liberal heaven" Austin. Yes, there are big, liberal, blue cities in Texas these days, but Texas is still by and large a red and VERY conservative state.
Not really. Houston is the only city in Texas where the democratic region shifts to some of the suburbs. Anything outside of Dallas County is dominated by the Republican Party. Even Fort Worth. Harris County is twice the size of Dallas County and the democratic territory still shifts outside of it in some suburbs. Austin's "liberal heaven" as you mentioned doesn't either. So no, this isn't true of Dallas. It isn't just like Houston in that sense.

Also, this is a whole other subject. But look at this

08- 27% gap
2012- 12% gap
2016- 9% gap

Texas is more republican than it is "true conservative". This is because a lot of the republicans popularity came from the Bush family's popularity in contrast to true conservative. That's why there was such a huge gap in one simple term coming after a 4 year presidential term. Hell. Texas was one of only 3 states where Republicans lost a percentage.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Not really. Houston is the only city in Texas where the democratic region shifts to some of the suburbs. Anything outside of Dallas County is dominated by the Republican Party. Even Fort Worth. Harris County is twice the size of Dallas County and the democratic territory still shifts outside of it in some suburbs. Austin's "liberal heaven" as you mentioned doesn't either. So no, this isn't true of Dallas. It isn't just like Houston in that sense.

Also, this is a whole other subject. But look at this

08- 27% gap
2012- 12% gap
2016- 9% gap

Texas is more republican than it is "true conservative". This is because a lot of the republicans popularity came from the Bush family's popularity in contrast to true conservative. That's why there was such a huge gap in one simple term coming after a 4 year presidential term. Hell. Texas was one of only 3 states where Republicans lost a percentage.
One thing that is interesting to me is that whites are more liberal in Dallas and DFW than they are in Houston by a wide margin. I have to think the oil industry has something to do with that.

Below is the data by percentage of white in the counties in DFW and Greater Houston that voted for Hillary:

DFW:

Dallas County: 33%
Tarrant County: 25%
Collin County: 29%
Denton County: 27%

Houston:

Harris: 24%
Fort Bend: 23%
Waller County: 1%
Montgomery County: 14%
Brazoria County: 17%
Galveston County: 20%

While greater Houston maybe ever so slightly more Democratic than DFW, that is only because it has more minorities and they vote blue with great regularity. A better measure of how liberal a place is relates to how whites vote. There are a LOT of socially conservative African Americans and Hispanics that still vote blue but are not liberal. Whites on the other hand base the part they vote on solely on how liberal or conservative they are. After years in both Dallas and Houston and analysis of the data, no one will ever convince me Houston is more liberal than Dallas. Frankly, it isn't. Its more libertarian.

http://www.whitdem.org/2016WhiteVote.html

Old 09-09-2017, 06:06 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Y'all could have saved these long posts. Lol

Old 09-10-2017, 08:53 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
Houston to Beaumont, by far.

I agree with others saying that Waco has a closer relationship to DFW than Tyler.

I may be pushing it, but Shreveport to DFW seemed more bonded or, at least, equally bonded to DFW as Tyler to DFW.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:49 AM

9,899 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
One thing that is interesting to me is that whites are more liberal in Dallas and DFW than they are in Houston by a wide margin. I have to think the oil industry has something to do with that.

Below is the data by percentage of white in the counties in DFW and Greater Houston that voted for Hillary:

DFW:

Dallas County: 33%
Tarrant County: 25%
Collin County: 29%
Denton County: 27%

Houston:

Harris: 24%
Fort Bend: 23%
Waller County: 1%
Montgomery County: 14%
Brazoria County: 17%
Galveston County: 20%

While greater Houston maybe ever so slightly more Democratic than DFW, that is only because it has more minorities and they vote blue with great regularity. A better measure of how liberal a place is relates to how whites vote. There are a LOT of socially conservative African Americans and Hispanics that still vote blue but are not liberal. Whites on the other hand base the part they vote on solely on how liberal or conservative they are. After years in both Dallas and Houston and analysis of the data, no one will ever convince me Houston is more liberal than Dallas. Frankly, it isn't. Its more libertarian.

http://www.whitdem.org/2016WhiteVote.html
I'll have to disagree. The white voters voting more democrat over there than they do in Houston is a thing. But that proves Houston's diversity which having a diverse and welcome population is a liberal thing. To me Houston just feels more liberal. That's one reason, and also the legal system. For example, Harris County was the first in Texas to completely decriminalize weed. And how it is finding ways to ease lesser crimes. Which Dallas is doing as well now but Houston is ahead. Houston has a larger Catholic population while DFW has a larger baptist population. The democrat territory extends to larger territory. The white voters is a good point. But it doesn't change any thing else.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:03 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,873 times
Quote:
I'll have to disagree. The white voters voting more democrat over there than they do in Houston is a thing. But that proves Houston's diversity which having a diverse and welcome population is a liberal thing. To me Houston just feels more liberal. That's one reason, and also the legal system. For example, Harris County was the first in Texas to completely decriminalize weed. And how it is finding ways to ease lesser crimes. Which Dallas is doing as well now but Houston is ahead. Houston has a larger Catholic population while DFW has a larger baptist population. The democrat territory extends to larger territory. The white voters is a good point. But it doesn't change any thing else.
A couple of things:

*The city of Dallas has more Catholics than Baptists.

*Dallas & Austin are more progressive than Houston when it comes to anti-discrimination ordinances regarding LGBT.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
A couple of things:

*The city of Dallas has more Catholics than Baptists.

*Dallas & Austin are more progressive than Houston when it comes to anti-discrimination ordinances regarding LGBT.
I put it this way:

Austin is liberal the way white people think of liberal. That is on issues like LGBT right, pro-environment regulations, etc.

Houston is liberal the way African-Americans and Hispanics think of liberal. This mainly means issues that are racially progressive.

Dallas is somewhere in between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas