Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stronger Relationship: Houston-Beaumont or DFW-Tyler?
Houston-Beaumont 20 71.43%
DFW-Tyler 8 28.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 08:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
First off, yes Houston is a lot more diverse than DFW. But DFW is still fairly diverse. Tyler isn't diverse at all. If you want to talk about cities that relate in a diversity sense, Tyler doesn't relate to DFW's diversity. Beaumont obviously isn't as diverse as Houston either, but the diversity is there far closer than DFW Aron Tyler both ethnically and culturally. Beaumont has a sizeable Hispanic and Asian population. Tyler doesn't even have anything close to that. Beaumont for a small city is diverse. And a lot of that has to do with Houston's proximity. Because unlike Tyler and Dallas, Houston and Beaumont do have connections and relate to eachother. It's extremely popular to work in Beaumont and live in Houston. Lots of employees do business in both and send people forward and back. It doesn't even compare. And you seem to be he only one to actually think Tyler relates more tO DFW.

In a way, this seems like you are making this post just to troll Houston, but then again you are trolling DFW at the same time. I thought that in your previous post but now that I see "many years to cone" for Harvey. But I'm not even going to go there.
Wait a minute.

Quote:
But DFW is still fairly diverse. Tyler isn't diverse at all.<

Dallas: White - 50.7 percent
Tyler: White - 50.8 percent

Dallas: African American - 25 percent
Tyler: African American - 24.8 percent

Dallas: Hispanic/Latino - 42 percent
Tyler: Hispanic/Latino - 21 percent*
*HOWEVER - 40 percent of students in Tyler are Hispanic/Latino so that figure is going to rise dramatically over the next few years.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...exas/PST045216
Tyler Texas > Departments > Planning > City Demographics

Quote:
Beaumont has a sizeable Hispanic and Asian population. Tyler doesn't even have anything close to that.
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...exas/RHI725216

Beamont: Hispanic/Latino - 13 percent
Tyler: Hispanic/Latino - 21 percent

Beaumont: Asian - 3.3 percent
Tyler: Asian - 1.9 percent
Dallas: Asian - 2.9 percent

Just sayin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Okay. It doesn't matter what way you put it. Tyler isn't as diverse as Beaumont or Dallas and obviously not Houston in any way shape or form. The Hispanic population is the only major minority that isn't white or black. Beaumont, Dallas and Houston have a large Asian, East Asian etc that the other cities do. This isn't a diversity forum. But you brought up diversity and that isn't a smart idea because Tyler doesn't compare better in that.

And again. Look at it however you want, people still are more connected To Houston and Beaumont. Living in Houston and working in Beaumont is popular. Far more popular than Dallas to Tyler.

On another note, what you said about Harvey hindering future boom could be true possibly. But the economy booming is helping. And what's messed up is Miami and Irma will benefit Houston because people see it's not just a Houston problem. NOT that I wish anything upon Miami. I definitely don't. But it benefited Houston.
You might want to back up what you're saying with facts and sources, because the Census Bureau does not agree with your assessment about either Beaumont or Tyler.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:52 PM

And on the topic of religious affiliation:

Tyler - 30 percent Baptist, 13 percent Catholic
Beaumont - 28 percent Baptist, 29 percent Catholic
DFW - 11 percent Baptist, 15 percent Catholic
Houston - 8 percent Baptist, 18 percent Catholic

And just for fun:
Waco - 28 percent Baptist, 13 percent Catholic (nearly identical to Tyler)

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I agree with Mark Senior on this one - Tyler is more upscale and professional than Waco, and feels more like a close affiliation to those attributes of Dallas than Waco does. Waco is more blue collar than Tyler.

I also agree that Shreveport is more closely affiliated to Dallas than it is to Houston. And finally, I believe that Houston is more culturally aligned with south Louisiana than Mexico.

Last edited by Yac; 09-27-2017 at 06:22 AM..

Old 09-10-2017, 11:44 PM

9,899 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
A couple of things:

*The city of Dallas has more Catholics than Baptists.

*Dallas & Austin are more progressive than Houston when it comes to anti-discrimination ordinances regarding LGBT.
1. Not only is the city of Dallas Catholic to Baptist ratio smaller than Houston, but it is one of only 2 counties out of 19 where the metroplex where Catholics are higher than baptist. 4 of Houston's 9 counties are Catholic over baptist. The Houston's catholic scene is far more present so what's your point?

2. Being that Houston Recently elected an openly gay mayor, i don't see LGBT problems in Houston. Outside of that, I mentioned Houston leads DFW in lowering punishment for small crimes. Which it does.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wait a minute.

Dallas: White - 50.7 percent
Tyler: White - 50.8 percent

Dallas: African American - 25 percent
Tyler: African American - 24.8 percent

Dallas: Hispanic/Latino - 42 percent
Tyler: Hispanic/Latino - 21 percent*
*HOWEVER - 40 percent of students in Tyler are Hispanic/Latino so that figure is going to rise dramatically over the next few years.

Tyler Texas > Departments > Planning > City Demographics

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...exas/RHI725216

Beamont: Hispanic/Latino - 13 percent
Tyler: Hispanic/Latino - 21 percent

Beaumont: Asian - 3.3 percent
Tyler: Asian - 1.9 percent
Dallas: Asian - 2.9 percent

Just sayin'.
There's a HUGE difference between racial diversity and cultural diversity. If you look at nationalities, Tyler doesn't touch any of these.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And on the topic of religious affiliation:

Tyler - 30 percent Baptist, 13 percent Catholic
Beaumont - 28 percent Baptist, 29 percent Catholic
DFW - 11 percent Baptist, 15 percent Catholic
Houston - 8 percent Baptist, 18 percent Catholic

And just for fun:
Waco - 28 percent Baptist, 13 percent Catholic (nearly identical to Tyler)

I agree with Mark Senior on this one - Tyler is more upscale and professional than Waco, and feels more like a close affiliation to those attributes of Dallas than Waco does. Waco is more blue collar than Tyler.

I also agree that Shreveport is more closely affiliated to Dallas than it is to Houston. And finally, I believe that Houston is more culturally aligned with south Louisiana than Mexico.
So on religion, basically, you're proving what I said. Houston is far less Baptist than DFW and far more Catholic than DFW.

Since you love looking at a facts sheet, facts disagree with what you're saying. 2.3 million Hispanics in Houston and Hispanics are projected to overtake as the largest ethnic group in the metro within the next few years. Yeah right. In every corner of Houston Spanish is spoken and Latin culture is predominates. The same can't be said about Louisiana culture.

PS I also agree Shreveport is closer ties to DFW than Houston. I don't know if that was supposed to be towards me but as you check back. Not a single person in this forum has denied that.

Last edited by Yac; 09-27-2017 at 06:20 AM..

Old 09-10-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
There's a HUGE difference between racial diversity and cultural diversity. If you look at nationalities, Tyler doesn't touch any of these.
The question isn't "is Tyler as diverse as Houston or even Dallas" though. Of course it's not - and neither is Waco. And neither is Beaumont. And Dallas isn't as diverse as Houston for that matter.

And guess what - AAs and "white folks" and Hispanics (among other groups) in Tyler have the same rich cultural variations as their counterparts in larger cities.

And my point was that your "information" was wrong via the legit sources I gave.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
So on religion, basically, you're proving what I said. Houston is far less Baptist than DFW and far more Catholic than DFW.

Since you love looking at a facts sheet, facts disagree with what you're saying. 2.3 million Hispanics in Houston and Hispanics are projected to overtake as the largest ethnic group in the metro within the next few years. Yeah right. In every corner of Houston Spanish is spoken and Latin culture is predominates. The same can't be said about Louisiana culture.

PS I also agree Shreveport is closer ties to DFW than Houston. I don't know if that was supposed to be towards me but as you check back. Not a single person in this forum has denied that.
Latin culture does not "dominate" in Houston. Is it a big force in Houston? Yes, as it is in all of Texas - and a growing force too. But Houston is very diverse and will continue to be diverse. When I think of a Texas city dominated by Latin culture, I think of San Antonio, not Houston. When I think of Mardi Gras in Texas - the Cajun style Mardi Gras, not "Carnival" - I think of Houston.

But of course, I'm from New Orleans so I'l likely to pick up on more Louisiana cultural elements no matter where I am. If you're Hispanic, you're likely to see more Hispanic culture. Once again - it's a matter of perspective a lot of times.

For the record, I don't feel at all threatened or uncomfortable with Hispanic culture - I like it for the most part. It's just not a dominant vibe to me when I go to Houston.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:14 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:

Ok...hold on.

First off Dallas is not far more Baptist than Houston. The difference is literally 1.8% between the two by metro area.

After living in both Dallas and Houston, the whole notion that Dallas is way more religious than Houston is bunk. They are very similar in this regard.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Ok...hold on.

First off Dallas is not far more Baptist than Houston. The difference is literally 1.8% between the two by metro area.

After living in both Dallas and Houston, the whole notion that Dallas is way more religious than Houston is bunk. They are very similar in this regard.
Right.

Here's a good comparison of religious affiliation between Houston and Dallas.

Bonus info:

Tyler's level of completed education is nearly identical to Dallas. Waco is the outlier of the three (more blue collar, lower average levels of education beyond high school).

(From same site - lots of cool info and search options on that site.)

Last edited by Yac; 09-27-2017 at 06:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas