Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 08:22 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times

Advertisements

To answer the OP's original question...... perhaps some Texans are reoccupying lands that were once part of the Lone Star Republic of Texas.

Texans like my nephew who is building his vacation home near Leadville - the view from his back deck:

Old 11-18-2017, 08:32 AM

1,951 posts, read 2,300,032 times
because they have the money to do it....

Old 01-22-2019, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,407 times
There are so many reasons people move from Texas to Colorado. Some people like more colder weather, mountains, more outdoors activities, property taxes, job transfer, allergy reaction...

I am not a beach person, I rather have the mountains. I could not handle the heat/humidity of Texas. I was indoors most of the summer, and that was the only few months of heat that I did not have allergy reaction.

Housing, in Colorado is about 50% higher than Texas at the time of this post, but it's on the rise, mainly at the big Texans cities. Property tax is about 3-4 times higher in Taxes, but no State Income Tax. If you make lots o money Texas is better, but incomes between $80k-$120k the state income tax in CO + lower property taxes, it will be what you pay for a property tax in Texas, unless you choose to live in a shack outside of city limits.

Allergy, in Texas is worse due to dust mites are the main cause to make our immune system hypersensitive through out the year. Then pollen breaks a chain reaction which in some case like me I was miserable 5-7 months out of the year. Dust mites do not survive at altitudes of 5000' or more. No allergy reactions since I moved to Denver.

It all boils down to what really matters to your quality of living. Colorado and Texas great States and so people. Rude and good people are all over. But a good Texans will love and take care of Colorado as they did in Texas.

I heard many people saying Texans and Californians are not welcome here in Colorado. Then I asked why, some people said "Californians wants to turn Colorado into California", "Texans are too conservative religious bible freak people". But I believe it's an unfair to tag someone based where they moved from instead getting to know the person. As I said, there are good and bad people anywhere we go.

Anyway, I love Colorado and the Coloradans as much as I love Texans, Californians and people from other States. I believe, what the good values you have inside is what matters the most.
Go Broncos!

Old 01-22-2019, 07:29 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,086,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
No im not being rude or fussy about everyone moving here. I am just legit-ly curious what is bringing everyone to colorado? I thought Texas was the place to be at! I actually wanted to retire and/or move to texas one day, but seeing everyone from Texas is moving to Colorado, i am thinking maybe there is something I am missing?

No I am not one that is mad that people keep moving here, in the contrary, it is good for the economy! I am just genuinely curious what is bringing them here? Is it the mountains or low cost of living? maybe a perk I dont know of? Sorry if I came off the wrong way on asking "why a lot of texans moving here" no no no. I am really curious! not fussy about it ha ha.

I just saw this, when thread was brought back to 2019. It should be obvious why Texans are moving to Colorado.

Maybe you've been there too long to realize what you have there, although, not sure your pot smoking for "all" is something I would really enjoy being around, just what we need, even MORE distracted drivers, as if texting and constant cell phone use is not bad enough already.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:16 AM

364 posts, read 618,196 times
I know lots of Texans who have made money here in Texas and then left for CO to retire. Why? Property taxes. They will break you in Texas if you go on to a fixed income (like in retirement). My $320k house in DFW I pay $9200/year and it just keeps going up and up and up. That is money right down the drain. Now imagine paying that on a fixed retirement income. THAT is why people leave here to retire up there.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:02 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,379 times
Why does anyone move anywhere? A million reasons....

Old 01-23-2019, 09:02 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,086,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Why does anyone move anywhere? A million reasons....
It that simple.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:39 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
I know lots of Texans who have made money here in Texas and then left for CO to retire. Why? Property taxes. They will break you in Texas if you go on to a fixed income (like in retirement). My $320k house in DFW I pay $9200/year and it just keeps going up and up and up. That is money right down the drain. Now imagine paying that on a fixed retirement income. THAT is why people leave here to retire up there.
Holy %$#& that is alot of taxes for a 320K home. Anything more than 1/4th of that seems high to me. I just over all hate the idea of property taxes in general....for the average single family home it isn't like your home is generating revenue for you.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:25 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Holy %$#& that is alot of taxes for a 320K home. Anything more than 1/4th of that seems high to me. I just over all hate the idea of property taxes in general....for the average single family home it isn't like your home is generating revenue for you.
And the really crazy thing is this. Pay off your home? You think you own your home? Try not paying those taxes for 2 years and see what happens. In an reality, we NEVER own our home. I have seen what happens and it is sad. I have come to the conclusion that home ownership is way over rated.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:43 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Property taxes cut both ways - for a dual income family with kids, it works out pretty well, generally speaking, especially if you live in a moderately priced home and/or move to a less expensive home as prices go up. For a single income family or an individual, home ownership gets costly. We pay about $8k in taxes on our home, but if we work the equivalent amount backward to a state income tax, we are still paying less in Texas than pretty much anywhere else (other non-income tax states possibly excepted). Most states have SOME property tax to go along with the income tax, as well. And car registration, sales taxes, and other miscellaneous taxes are generally higher in other non-income tax states.

That said, I knew a couple that worked it out pretty good. They could work remotely, so they owned a piece of property in the Gunnison area and lived in a super fancy trailer. The only structure on the property was a small bathroom/shower that they built. They lived in CO for 5 months of the year, which (at the time, anyway) made them non-residents and not subject to state income tax. The other 7 months of the year they pulled their trailer down to SPI and stayed in a state park. At the end of the day, they had no income in CO and no property in TX.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas