Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 12:18 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,429,959 times

Advertisements

Losttechnician, you left out one of the coolest places in Canyon: Panhandle Plains Historical Museum.

You also forgot an important distance: 1.5 hours to Lubbock.

Get away from town at night, and the stars are big and bright. The Milky Way is a definite presence, instead of just a hint. The moonrises and sunsets are magnificent. All these were some of the very best parts of growing up in the country northwest of Amarillo. The area is still pretty good for night sky viewing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 08:16 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
Losttechnician, you left out one of the coolest places in Canyon: Panhandle Plains Historical Museum.

You also forgot an important distance: 1.5 hours to Lubbock.
Indeed I did leave those out. Unintentionally of course, since the PPHM is a place I visit once or twice a year. It is a fine museum, well worth the time to stop in.

I don't know how I left the distance to Lubbock out, I drive that once a month or more having family I enjoy seeing that live in and around that city.

It has been pointed out to me in the past that I might "gush" a bit over the South Plains and Texas Panhandle, but it is an area I choose to live in because I LIKE IT.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:04 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,160,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasalette View Post
Hi,
can anyone tell me about the living and the climate in Amarillo, Tx.
I am thinking to move from St.Petersburg (having a lot of humidity) to Amarillo, Texas.
I would appreciate any input.
Compared to St. Petersburg, Amarillo is much drier (both in terms of relative humidity and annual rainfall), and the cost of living is less. Most people are friendly, down-to-earth, hard working folks.

Amarillo is about 3600' above sea level, and is surrounded by prairie, farmland, and Palo Duro Canyon. There's almost no surface water in the area except Lake Meredith, which is no longer the source of Amarillo's drinking water (thank God). The wind does blow a lot, and 30 MPH gusts are fairly common especially in the winter. When checking out areas you might want to move into, be sure to see if there's a nearby feedlot that's upwind. We think they smell like money, but your opinion will probably differ.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:09 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,856,746 times
Love Palo Duro Canyon! So beautiful. And the play "Texas" in the summer is a great place to spend the evening outdoors. Have the BBQ before hand. When that rider on horseback with the Texas flag comes down into the canyon, it is just a emotional moment to me!

Old 11-30-2017, 04:47 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,478,763 times
Lots of good info on Amarillo's climate here as well: //www.city-data.com/forum/weath...s-vs-xian.html

Old 11-30-2017, 05:20 PM

1,158 posts, read 960,317 times
I really liked living in Amarillo. I've lived in Austin and DFW also. I think Amarillo had the best all around climate of the places I've lived in Texas. The people are really friendly too.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:13 PM

5 posts, read 9,709 times
Default Amarillo Climate and Living

Great job, Losttechnician! I couldn't agree more. You just explained Amarillo, and for the same reasons we like it, too! I'm not big on entertainment, and am not a show-off. I know how to entertain myself, and my immediate family is large enough to have a party without having to invite anyone over. In fact, I'm glad there's not too much to do. Too much entertainment draws too many people and breeds chaos. We don't care for the metropolitan life, and prefer the small-town, rural life close to necessities. Since the world is polluted by noise I seek serenity and peace. In my opinion, the Amarillo area is more peaceful and quiet than most areas, and it's a good place to live if you like solitude, and have a large family. On the other hand, if you want a vacation and like being pampered the tropics is the place for that. And since the humidity is so low, there's not much greenery compared to the rest of the US either. The weather is great if you don't like humidity either, but you always have to deal with drought and wind. Amarillo has the highest average wind speed in the entire US, which is a fact. I love that it's generally not as hot, but colder and cooler than the rest of the state of Texas. I prefer cold to cool over warm to hot almost any day. On hot days it doesn't feel as hot with the low humidity. Thank you for your great description, Losttechnician. You said it best. And thank you, Arkay66, for setting the record straight.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:53 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,429,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaV View Post
Amarillo has the highest average wind speed in the entire US, which is a fact.
Nope. Not even close, according to NOAA:

https://www.climate.gov/sites/defaul...ndspeedRsz.jpg

Old 04-03-2018, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,667 times
Amarillo-Canyon and Lubbock Absolutely Cannot Be Beat (Especially Canyon). The Economy Is As Good As This Country Has To Offer, The Cost Of Living Is Very Affordable, The Climate Outside Of Alpine Texas And Sierra Vista Arizona (Which Are The Standards By Which All Others Are Measured) Is Very Good, The Outdoor Recreation (e.g. Lake Meredith National Recreation Area, Palo Duro Canyon State Park and Caprock Canyons State Park And Trailway) Is Excellent, And ,MOST IMPORTANTLY From My Vantage Point, The Panhandle Region Is CONSERVATIVE, CONSERVATIVE, CONSERVATIVE!!! Have A Very Nice Day!!!

Old 05-06-2018, 05:06 AM

5 posts, read 10,650 times
Hello to everyone
I live in Turkey and I won the greencard. Would you like to see a Turkish family among you? How does this make you feel? Thank you in advance for the answers ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas