Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:10 PM

52 posts, read 139,226 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody

It is not my first post in this forum. I already asked a few questions about "where to find old west places" or "will we be welcomed in Texas as French people" and I thank you for replies and advices.

But it was 2 months ago and I have to re-introduce myself and re-ask questions.

I am a French woman and I'm planning a trip in Texas for fifteen days in April with my husband and our two sons aged 12 and 14. We arrive in Houston on the 9th.
First at all: is Houston a place to stay one or two days ? If yes, what for ?

I already have booked airplane tickets plus a car rental, that's it.
I would like to go to:
for sure: Bandera, Luckenbach....I love horses, I would like to meet cowboys (but I do not want to go in a dude ranch because it is too touristic to my opinion.

Maybe to the North: Amarillo, maybe to the South:Big Bend NP, nothing decided yet, maybe the middle: Palo Duro Canyon.

Depending on above, I could make my itinerary, taking in mind that I prefer the countryside to the big cities.

Can anybody help me to make the best choice ?
Thks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 12:45 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,655,378 times
I really don't know what you will be looking for in lukenbach. There is nothing there. It is a pretty drive however and you will not be to far from the Wildseed wildflower farm which would be a nice place to go to. About half and hour from Lukenbach on FM road 1376. Bandera is a nice place to visit also. It depends on what time of day you are there as to you seeing and meeting cowboys. You might check out YO Ranch in Mountain Home Texas and you might find what you are wanting and also that bull that you spoke of in your other post! Great ranch to go to also still very much a working ranch where you might meet a cowboy! Hopefully someone can help you out with the other parts of Texas. I know the SA/Austin best since I live here.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:56 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Okay, here's what I'd do.

Hit a museum or two in Houston. Then down the coast to Galveston/Port Aransas, eat at the Cajun Greek in Galveston, maybe do some horseback riding on the beach.

Across to San Antonio just to see the Alamo (yeah, there's tourists, but I've lived here all my life and I still get chills when I go there), also to see the Old Missions. From San Antono, across to Bandera, see about going on a trail ride at Hill Country State Natural Area (5,000+ acres) - there are ranches where you can go on a guided trail ride from the ranch directly onto the park, or used to be.

Up to Luckenbach.

Across to Austin, to get yet another view of what Texas is all about. If you're homesick by then, eat at Chez Nous and talk to the owners. You could head up to Palo Duro, but that's a ways to travel. You might instead want to head over to East Texas and check out the Piney Woods on your way back to Houston.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:49 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,316 times
Be sure to travel to Fort Worth and go to the Amon Carter and Kimbell museums. They always have great exhibits. At night be sure to visit the stock yard and go to Billy Bobs.

If you don't mind the drive, take I-10 West and go to Junction. It's a nice drive from Austin and you can see how our topography changes. Plus you can see some wind farms.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:08 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
I'm thinking we're coming up with more of a 30 day than 15 day trip, amongst the lot of us! But, yes, if you can manage to get to the Kimball, do so.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:19 PM

16,674 posts, read 17,444,965 times
Whilst in Houston, your sons may like the Johnson Space Center, which is south west of downtown.

Space Center Houston

Old 03-26-2008, 03:22 PM

Yes 15 days is a little bit short to discover Texas....

And what about South Padre Island. My husband and kids loves swimming in a warm sea...In France, the Mediterranee is almost cold even in summer !

Old 03-26-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Whilst in Houston, your sons may like the Johnson Space Center, which is south west of downtown.

Space Center Houston
I was told that it a not really amaizing. My husband does not speak (and does not understand) English and this kind of visit could be boring for them....

Old 03-26-2008, 03:28 PM

16,674 posts, read 17,444,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona_girl View Post
I was told that it a not really amaizing. My husband does not speak (and does not understand) English and this kind of visit could be boring for them....
Then take a French- Texan Phrase Book Y'All!

Old 03-26-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona_girl View Post
for them...
I mean for my kids too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas