Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 08:12 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times

Advertisements

I think Trainwreck is spot on. There is definitely a significant segment of the population that he will easily fit into. Galveston has a large percentage of the population that fits this characterization.

Galveston is a diverse, mixed bag, both good and bad. You can find riff raff of all nationalities and religions there. It is some kind of magnet for end-of-the-world (I'm talking edge of civilization, not doomsday) loving people.

However if he doesn't like the humidity in Dallas he may want to rethink this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 09:10 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
He is from Colorado and has a college degree. He just has a serious drinking problem. He always dresses very preppy and speaks well but a flat out drunk. He decided he wants to live where it was cheap, has water and never cold. However he called me from Dallas a day ago and said the humidity was so bad he couldn't take it and he hated the accents but he still wants to head to Galveston because he said it's a melting pot. He said it's cheaper than California and does not like Florida so Galveston won out. When I said he has very little cash, it's because he won't work. He lives off Trust funds and spends like crazy. He will have nothing in no time at all. At least in Colorado he had some backup. He thinks he can purchase a small beach bungalow and drive a scooter and live very cheaply.

The humidity in Texas in general has been mild so far this year so that is not a good sign. All I can say is if he hates humidity maybe a Gulf coast location is not ideal for him. Other than that culturally Galveston sounds like a pretty good fit for him.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:42 AM

371 posts, read 365,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I think Trainwreck is spot on. There is definitely a significant segment of the population that he will easily fit into. Galveston has a large percentage of the population that fits this characterization.

Galveston is a diverse, mixed bag, both good and bad. You can find riff raff of all nationalities and religions there. It is some kind of magnet for end-of-the-world (I'm talking edge of civilization, not doomsday) loving people.

However if he doesn't like the humidity in Dallas he may want to rethink this.
Trainwreak is spot on. I guess I am just concerned but he is a grown adult, I can't control him. I am just worried he will end up in a very bad situation there or dead. Like I said he is actually very intelligent, but then then he starts drinking and taking lots of xanax and all he wants to do is sleep and screw hookers. He is is going to knocked off down there I am afraid.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:01 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
Trainwreak is spot on. I guess I am just concerned but he is a grown adult, I can't control him. I am just worried he will end up in a very bad situation there or dead. Like I said he is actually very intelligent, but then then he starts drinking and taking lots of xanax and all he wants to do is sleep and screw hookers. He is is going to knocked off down there I am afraid.

Yea Robert Durst cut a guys head off down there and got acquitted by a Galveston County jury who bought his "self defense" claim.

How did Robert Durst chop up a body and not get convicted for murder?

Old 05-17-2018, 12:39 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
The concerns I would have if he were my kid:
- If he spends money like crazy and has a trust, he will be jacked or scammed in no time. Galveston 'drifters' are not a money crowd;
- Booze and pot are pretty common and not taken seriously by the 'elites' or the police. Start selling/buying pills (even Xanax) and you might end up living very cheap in your own little cell;
- Once you are there, it is hard to leave - it used to be called 'Galvatraz', not sure they use that nickname anymore - because you can't save money or get a decent job;
- It is run by the 'elites' (the old families) and some people with money. You better not end up on their bad side. One guy owns almost every restaurant on the seawall (Fertitta, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilman_Fertitta) I think, unless things have changed. If you get blacklisted, your are screwed.
- Seriously? Hookers?! He won't live long enough to spend his trust....

Old 05-17-2018, 01:38 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
If he doesn't like humidity why on earth is he looking for a coastal environment? There is basically one coastal environment in the US that is not terribly humid and as such it is insanely expensive (southern California).

Old 05-17-2018, 02:49 PM

Eh, most people have a short period of adaptation when they move to humidity - or away. The Coloradans that worked with me down on the coast thought they were going to die the first week, but then were just fine after that.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:18 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Humidity in Texas is highest along the coast - which shouldn't be surprising - but the winds off the the water help stir up the air. Temps are lower due to the moderating effect of the water. But the summers are still quite oppressive if you get any distance from the beach, where you don't feel the breezes.

Galveston isn't large enough to get lost in. Anyone wandering around will be seen, noticed, and recognized. It wouldn't take long to become a familiar site, and familiar to run in with the authorities. There's lots of water around to disappear in too, if you know what I mean. If crossing paths with the wrong person, the guy might end up in deep water. It is an international port, and you get a fair number of international drifters. They can come and go before you ever know what they've done.

I get the impression the person has a very skewed impression of what Galveston is like, as far as a coastal "party" city. It's not Miami, New Orleans, or like anything in California. It only occasionally gets a party atmosphere during Mardi Gras, spring break, and those rap party weekends. Other than that, it's more family-oriented.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 05-17-2018 at 08:25 PM..

Old 05-18-2018, 12:51 PM

Depends on how you define 'party'. You can always find a party by hanging out at Molly's or O'Mally's or whatever pub you choose. Sooner or later a group will head off to some house for a slightly less expensive/legal party. There are family enclaves in Galveston, sure, but that is not what defines it. It is a tourist town with a shipping port. Lots of service industry, a medical school (UTMB, but those won't be your 'peers' for partying), and a lot of retirees make up a large portion of the island. There is no zoning, so the nicest neighborhoods are walled-off with gates.

The humidity in the morning can be stifling! Sometimes the wind isn't blowing yet, and the cooler temperatures result in a humidity right near 100%. You feel like you need to swim instead of walk. By afternoon, though, the breeze has picked up and the RH dropped and it feels WONDERFUL after a day working in Texas City.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:01 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
Humidity in Galveston is as bad as it gets. I've gotten a many a sunny morning and water dripping off everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas