Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 01:48 PM

16 posts, read 15,506 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My family and I will be moving to Midland in a couple months. Any suggestions on where to live in the area and what private schools to look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 05:07 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
hello OP, I live in Midland and what is your budget for housing or rent?Housing and rent is through the roof.I heard from my realtor friend that the median price is about 300 grand.The North/Northwest side of Midland is nice.There's some nice neighborhoods like GreenTree,Grasslands,Fairmont Park in that part of the city.The top private schools are Midland Christian which is affiliated with the church of Christ,St Ann's which is Catholic, and Trinity.Trinity is the most expensive of the three i think.Best of luck to you.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:07 AM

18 posts, read 13,811 times
I have lived many places, in the US and abroad (Midland included). There are pluses and minuses in all of them. If you focus on the negatives (like a lot of people do) you will always be miserable, no matter where you are.

For me the question is a more about family and career. If it is a good move for those reasons, do it. Obviously you have to consider the move package, is it fair? Midland is a place to live, enjoy the new experiences that are more available to you while you are there, then enjoy the next place.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:05 PM

Thank you for your reply and kind words. The neighborhood and school information is very helpful!We don't have a set amount on a budget yet. We would like a decent price but as safe as possible. We are considering renting for 6 months to a year then finding a house. Do you have any suggestions on areas within a 30 minute drive to Midland? We like the country area versus the city. But we still like being within driving distance to the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
hello OP, I live in Midland and what is your budget for housing or rent?Housing and rent is through the roof.I heard from my realtor friend that the median price is about 300 grand.The North/Northwest side of Midland is nice.There's some nice neighborhoods like GreenTree,Grasslands,Fairmont Park in that part of the city.The top private schools are Midland Christian which is affiliated with the church of Christ,St Ann's which is Catholic, and Trinity.Trinity is the most expensive of the three i think.Best of luck to you.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:42 PM

301 posts, read 189,199 times
I attended Midland Christian from elementary school through 10th grade and it's a fine school with decent sports programs. I transferred out into public school for my junior and senior years to take advantage of stronger arts programs.

I would also recommend checking out Midland Classical Academy. My cousins went there and my aunt and uncle were part of the original board that started the school. It's much smaller than any of the other private schools in the city and cheaper, but the education might just be the best. I believe it's about 10K less expensive than Trinity, or it at least was when I was in school.

If you want to be further out in the country, check out Greenwood. I had lots of friends at MCS who commuted in from Greenwood.

Last edited by lunalvr; 08-22-2018 at 01:51 PM..

Old 08-22-2018, 02:07 PM

729 posts, read 532,631 times
If you move to the area then never ever drink the tap water.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:32 PM

Awesome! That is great to hear! Thank you so much for the information. I will definitely research the ones you've listed. I've been doing a lot of research online and it is a bit overwhelming. Especially when I saw the tuition for Trinity!

Thanks again and have a great night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunalvr View Post
I attended Midland Christian from elementary school through 10th grade and it's a fine school with decent sports programs. I transferred out into public school for my junior and senior years to take advantage of stronger arts programs.

I would also recommend checking out Midland Classical Academy. My cousins went there and my aunt and uncle were part of the original board that started the school. It's much smaller than any of the other private schools in the city and cheaper, but the education might just be the best. I believe it's about 10K less expensive than Trinity, or it at least was when I was in school.

If you want to be further out in the country, check out Greenwood. I had lots of friends at MCS who commuted in from Greenwood.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:35 PM

Oh gosh! Thanks for the tip! I will stock up on bottle water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
If you move to the area then never ever drink the tap water.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:49 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL2018 View Post
Thank you for your reply and kind words. The neighborhood and school information is very helpful!We don't have a set amount on a budget yet. We would like a decent price but as safe as possible. We are considering renting for 6 months to a year then finding a house. Do you have any suggestions on areas within a 30 minute drive to Midland? We like the country area versus the city. But we still like being within driving distance to the city.
Netime and i wish you all the best...some areas within 30 minutes are like Greenwood,Gardendale,Stanton, and Grady/Lenorah.You should be able to find cheaper prices in the country.I would not worry too much about crime.Crime is mainly a issue if you are part of the drug scene and goin to bars late at nite.It doesnt typically affect other people in a serious way.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:28 AM

Thank you for the advice. I was concerned about the crime. I know it's everywhere but here at home we know where it is. And you are right here it mostly all revolves around drugs too. I will definitely look into the areas you suggested. I truly appreciate all your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Netime and i wish you all the best...some areas within 30 minutes are like Greenwood,Gardendale,Stanton, and Grady/Lenorah.You should be able to find cheaper prices in the country.I would not worry too much about crime.Crime is mainly a issue if you are part of the drug scene and goin to bars late at nite.It doesnt typically affect other people in a serious way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas