Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 12:18 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
It's how you come off. You take it too personal dude. Just relax.
I’m Gucci. Trust me.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:59 AM

18 posts, read 12,228 times
Default Outsider who lived in Both. my opinion.

I have lived in both Dallas and Houston. I lived in Dallas for 4.5 years and have been living in Houston since 2012 and am STILL here. Why? Because Houston aka Astroworld is the shizz!! Here is my take:
Dallas and Houston are night and day. I said in another thread that Dallas was Oklahoma and Houston was Louisiana and that is still and accurate description. I read a lot of comments from posters on this site and the grand conclusion that I come to is the majority of posters are white. ( I am an adult who is not afraid to talk about race) The racial aspect of city living CAN NOT be denied. And the truth is the majority of whites who post on this site do not really travel outside of their surburban enclaves or inner city protective walled in community. That is why they give a very limited analysis of the cities that they live in. Here in Houston you would be hard pressed to find a white person who can tell you about 3rd or 4th ward. But every colored person can tell about Bunker Hill, Tanglewilde, Montrose, and midtown etc.... white people/culture love Dallas and especially Ft. Worth. Black people/culture tends to favor Houston.

With that said my experience (black man...surprise! lol) living in Dallas was good. I had lots of fun in Dtown. Culturally the two cities are far apart. Houston has the gulf and creole cultural resemblance that is not present in Dallas. I don't know why people keep saying the demographics of the two are the same. THEY ARE NOT. Houston has far more people (almost 1 million more) from far more places. Dallas has a big Indian and Vietnamese community as well. And that is about where the comparison ends. While I lived in Dallas I did not come across the sheer volume of cental and south americans that I come across in Houston. It is not even a comparison.

There is no sports rivalry. Everybody in Houston is a cowboys fan. Texan fans are cowboys fans. How do I know? I went to the Texans playoff game two weeks ago and saw a plethora of cowboys jerseys. Dallas likes the mavericks. Houston likes the Rockets. ( I like the Rockets!) Houston likes Astros. Dallas likes its Rangers. no hockey in Houston.

The food in Houston is better. More options. More worldly in every way. Again not really much to compare. Everything in Dallas you can find in Houston but not the other way around. Except In N Out Burger. Shopping and nightlife in Houston is, once again, better. More options, more people. As the saying goes "bigger makes you better" is a true statement in this case. As far as having a Ft. Worth to compliment is concerned, Houston does not need a Ft. Worth. I have come to understand that Houston is an actual city. Dallas ITSELF is a cool city. The 'Metroplex' part is where it gets murky. The metroplex is a bunch of small towns pieced together with nothing of any major substance. It has come up some since I left in 2012, freeway construction finished, and a couple venues opened but nothing that can compare to anything in Houston at the moment. Sorry its just the truth.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:04 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,268,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatdaddycatcher View Post
I have lived in both Dallas and Houston. I lived in Dallas for 4.5 years and have been living in Houston since 2012 and am STILL here. Why? Because Houston aka Astroworld is the shizz!! Here is my take:
Dallas and Houston are night and day. I said in another thread that Dallas was Oklahoma and Houston was Louisiana and that is still and accurate description. I read a lot of comments from posters on this site and the grand conclusion that I come to is the majority of posters are white. ( I am an adult who is not afraid to talk about race) The racial aspect of city living CAN NOT be denied. And the truth is the majority of whites who post on this site do not really travel outside of their surburban enclaves or inner city protective walled in community. That is why they give a very limited analysis of the cities that they live in. Here in Houston you would be hard pressed to find a white person who can tell you about 3rd or 4th ward. But every colored person can tell about Bunker Hill, Tanglewilde, Montrose, and midtown etc.... white people/culture love Dallas and especially Ft. Worth. Black people/culture tends to favor Houston.

With that said my experience (black man...surprise! lol) living in Dallas was good. I had lots of fun in Dtown. Culturally the two cities are far apart. Houston has the gulf and creole cultural resemblance that is not present in Dallas. I don't know why people keep saying the demographics of the two are the same. THEY ARE NOT. Houston has far more people (almost 1 million more) from far more places. Dallas has a big Indian and Vietnamese community as well. And that is about where the comparison ends. While I lived in Dallas I did not come across the sheer volume of cental and south americans that I come across in Houston. It is not even a comparison.

There is no sports rivalry. Everybody in Houston is a cowboys fan. Texan fans are cowboys fans. How do I know? I went to the Texans playoff game two weeks ago and saw a plethora of cowboys jerseys. Dallas likes the mavericks. Houston likes the Rockets. ( I like the Rockets!) Houston likes Astros. Dallas likes its Rangers. no hockey in Houston.

The food in Houston is better. More options. More worldly in every way. Again not really much to compare. Everything in Dallas you can find in Houston but not the other way around. Except In N Out Burger. Shopping and nightlife in Houston is, once again, better. More options, more people. As the saying goes "bigger makes you better" is a true statement in this case. As far as having a Ft. Worth to compliment is concerned, Houston does not need a Ft. Worth. I have come to understand that Houston is an actual city. Dallas ITSELF is a cool city. The 'Metroplex' part is where it gets murky. The metroplex is a bunch of small towns pieced together with nothing of any major substance. It has come up some since I left in 2012, freeway construction finished, and a couple venues opened but nothing that can compare to anything in Houston at the moment. Sorry its just the truth.
Interesting Points.

I don't know how often you visit DFW, but since 2012 the city has added just a little under a million people. It's changed alot. I came here in 2010 ant it's night and day since then.

I would disagree on the nightlife. I think Dallas has a superior nightlife. The bars in Houston are too spread out and no area has the concentration or walk-ability that Deep Ellum has. BA and LG not to mention Uptown are all more walk-able that any of the nightlife spots in Houston. I have heard the POV that Houston has a better night life if you are African American, so I'm not saying that in your experience Houston isn't a better scene.

I would also argue you are underselling the Dallas Latin American Community. I've known several Brazilians while living here as well as folks from probably every south and central american country.

Cajun vs Indian Food aside, I think the two cities are very close in what they offer.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:29 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Interesting Points.

I don't know how often you visit DFW, but since 2012 the city has added just a little under a million people. It's changed alot. I came here in 2010 ant it's night and day since then.

I would disagree on the nightlife. I think Dallas has a superior nightlife. The bars in Houston are too spread out and no area has the concentration or walk-ability that Deep Ellum has. BA and LG not to mention Uptown are all more walk-able that any of the nightlife spots in Houston. I have heard the POV that Houston has a better night life if you are African American, so I'm not saying that in your experience Houston isn't a better scene.

I would also argue you are underselling the Dallas Latin American Community. I've known several Brazilians while living here as well as folks from probably every south and central american country.

Cajun vs Indian Food aside, I think the two cities are very close in what they offer.
Yeah, I much preferred the nightlife in Dallas overall too.

Houston’s Latin community is a lot more diverse though. The central and South American communities here are just a lot larger. The Mexican communities are about the same size in both.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:25 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,268,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Yeah, I much preferred the nightlife in Dallas overall too.

Houston’s Latin community is a lot more diverse though. The central and South American communities here are just a lot larger. The Mexican communities are about the same size in both.
I know they are larger in Houston, but they aren't non existent at all in Dallas.

I like alot of the individual bars in Houston, and I like that it is more laid back, but you don't have the same quality of clusters that you do in Dallas.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:32 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,462,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
Well, Dallas is a good 4 to 5 hours from the Gulf Coast, so why the %#@& would you expect people in Dallas to sit around sucking on crawfish on a regular basis?!?

I never ate crawfish prior to moving to Dallas. People eat crawfish in Dallas. Crawfish boils happen.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:04 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
As fatdaddycatcher mentioned, he is a black man, which makes a huge difference in the experience one can have in either city. He did say that Houston favors more towards the black crowd (like everyone knows), and this is why Houston has better nightlife to him.

Cajun and Creole aren’t the same. Houston has Cajun and Creole on locked, which are two cuisines that are specific to that part of Texas. Dallas’s Indian food is not equivalent to Houston’s Cajun AND Creole foods, when Houston has Hillcroft and Sugar Land for major Indian dining. Houston has a Chinatown, a street (Bissonnet) that caters to Caribbean and African cuisines, etc.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:14 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,092,068 times
I don't know about the Indian food, but I definitely think the Korean food scene in DFW, even today, is superior to that of Houston's in a similar vein as the Cajun and Creole food in Houston being superior to that in DFW. I don't understand how it came to be that two such similar metros are so different in a cuisine that has no strong history in either.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
As fatdaddycatcher mentioned, he is a black man, which makes a huge difference in the experience one can have in either city. He did say that Houston favors more towards the black crowd (like everyone knows), and this is why Houston has better nightlife to him.

Cajun and Creole aren’t the same. Houston has Cajun and Creole on locked, which are two cuisines that are specific to that part of Texas. Dallas’s Indian food is not equivalent to Houston’s Cajun AND Creole foods, when Houston has Hillcroft and Sugar Land for major Indian dining. Houston has a Chinatown, a street (Bissonnet) that caters to Caribbean and African cuisines, etc.
I can understand the first paragraph but no Houston’s Indian food is not equal to Dallas’. Dallas’ Indian food is definitely better.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I don't know about the Indian food, but I definitely think the Korean food scene in DFW, even today, is superior to that of Houston's in a similar vein as the Cajun and Creole food in Houston being superior to that in DFW. I don't understand how it came to be that two such similar metros are so different in a cuisine that has no strong history in either.
This. I do think the food in Houston is better, but the Indian and especially the Korean food is better in Dallas. I say that having spent ample time in both Korea and India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas