Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:17 AM

142 posts, read 501,593 times

Advertisements

Georgetown - Has a pretty well preserved square and high ranking liberal arts college (Southwestern Univ.).
Salado - Really nice old part of town
Jefferson - The most haunted town in Texas!

Georgetown has done a good job keeping its character while having new development, but most small Texas towns have their junk too along the interstates and fringes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 08:32 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,077 times
My bet would be Castroville, a european style town

Old 04-06-2008, 06:33 PM

384 posts, read 1,581,169 times
The only "pretty" part of TX I've visited so far is the Hill Country area.
The areas immediately west of Austin like Marble Falls are quite nice.

Wimberley also deserves some honorable mention as an attractive, very small town.

I love the natural springs in San Marcos and New Braunfels (though the built environment in San Marcos is rather lacking, and New Braunfels has some really attractive areas like Gruene but also a pile of generic suburban sprawl).

Old 04-06-2008, 07:40 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
I like Blanco, Lampasas and Gatesville. Here are some pic of Lampasas' town pool, oldest spring fed bathing pool in Texas, and the park right in middle of town and the town square/courthouse:

Last edited by NOTAM; 04-06-2008 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-06-2008, 08:18 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
I like Blanco, Lampasas and Gatesville. Here are some pic of Lampasas' town pool, oldest spring fed bathing pool in Texas, and the park right in middle of town and the town square/courthouse:

Neat pic!!! Glad you are enjoying central Texas....

However, I thought that San Solomon Springs at Balmorhea was the oldest....no?

TPWD: Balmorhea State Park

Old 04-06-2008, 08:25 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Lemme guess: George Hamilton IV...?

Seriously, good one, JA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I had thought that (wispering) Bill Anderson wrote and recorded the song. A couple of months ago I posed the question on his website. Believe it or not he personally responded that he'd not written it. I was amazed.
TexasReb, you are correct with the singer and you win ten dollars.

Sorry, Jaybee -- wonderful consolation prizes for you. The answer to that is George Hamilton IV who sang it, but it was John D. Loudermilk who composed "Abilene", and it did well for Hamilton on the country charts. Whisperin' Bill had absolutely nothing to do with it. It was a great country song and I know it talked about Texas.

And Abilene's not such a bad town -- or city, either. But it certainly isn't small.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:49 PM

238 posts, read 766,999 times
I still vouch for Graham, Texas. That still holds a special place for me. They still have a drive-in theater there. Plus, it isn't too far from Possum Kingdom.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:40 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times
oh yeah! i used to live in Graham in Young County (and Bryson in Jack County, just north of Graham), and i forgot all about it! yes i love PK and Graham is a nice safe place. great great hospital-i worked there as an ER nurse. lots of money in that town, so they get the BEST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade_word View Post
I still vouch for Graham, Texas. That still holds a special place for me. They still have a drive-in theater there. Plus, it isn't too far from Possum Kingdom.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:35 PM

297 posts, read 896,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I have always wondered the same thing, and after JA posted it, I did some googling...and it left me none the wiser! Sites on Abilene, Texas claim it, but I found at least one which says it is about the Kansas town.

On a related tangent, just a respectful edit of our good friend and fellow Texan's jotting down of the verse, the words are "Women there DON'T treat you mean, in Abilene"
+1 ... you beat me to it! ...

Old 04-08-2008, 10:44 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,838,690 times
Back in the 1970's I traveled around the state taking childrens pictures in 5/10 stores. I also took pictures of towns nearby for my own use. I later sold the collection to SMU. There were 10,000 b/w photos and 1,000 color photos. Of all the towns I've been in and it includes all the towns mentioned in this thread my two favorite were Palacios on Matagorda Bay and my favorite was Kemah, south of Houston. So I would like to throw in both of these towns for consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas