Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 05:06 PM

45 posts, read 176,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
So crowder peas/cowpeas are not another name for black-eyed peas, then....

Yep...I hear you on the red beans and rice.......I've made them a few times, with both red and pinto....and various sausages. My favorite LA sausage was andouille....hard to find outside of LA, as far as I know.

Kidney beans in chili????
Yeah -- WHAT are they thinking of? Pinto beans are bad enough. And crowder peas are different from black-eyed peas, in Louisiana anyway. Andouille -- best thing to put in jambalaya. (No beans in that either, TexasReb!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 05:11 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Yep...remember a LOT of concessions at all ball games....small bag of fritoes slit open, and covered with nasty, nasty Wolfe (??) brand canned chili....and raw white onions.

It's fine with HOMEMADE chili, beans or not.....but not nasty canned crap...ewww ewww ewwwwww.
LOL Was it Wolf brand? I aint sure either, Cathy!

Old 04-05-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnet View Post
Yeah -- WHAT are they thinking of? Pinto beans are bad enough. And crowder peas are different from black-eyed peas, in Louisiana anyway. Andouille -- best thing to put in jambalaya. (No beans in that either, TexasReb!)
All I know is that black-eyed peas are a Southern tradition from Virginia to Texas on New Years Day and I say God Bless 'Em, whatever they are called!

Another thing on the chili thing though, is that the first "real fight" me and my present lady friend ever had was when she said she was going to make us some "chili" for supper that night.

Ok...fine..

What she turned out WAS VERY GOOD (she is an EXCELLENT cook on ANYTHING)....BUT, it was nothing I recognized as "chili"!!! It had beans and tomato sauce and all sorts of stuff that made it TASTY...but it was NOT chili...dammit!

Old 04-05-2008, 06:48 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
To really be a Texan, I agree with most of the posts:

Any red bean you cook better be a pinto.

Green limas--for northerners. Large white limas cooked right become butter beans and a Texas tradition.

Leave those beans out of chili.

Leave that sugar out of corn bread. Yuk.

And eat those black eyed peas every chance you get.

Honestly, pintos, black eyes, and butter beans are great and cheap protein substitutes. My mom used to mash up pinto beans and make us pinto bean sandwiches when there was no money for meat.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:03 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL. No, I have never been to that one!

To tell you the truth (which is rare for a Texan) my favorite way to have chili is in what we call "frito pie" (and it aint got no damn beans! ).

As an aside here, I always wondered if that creation was truly an original thing of Texas or not...? Kinda like "hot Dr. Pepper." First time I ever remember having it I was probably too young to remember if my memory serves correctly. BUT...seems like it was back when my daddy and grandpa used to take me to high school football games and, for a dime, you got a small pack of fritoes slit open, and chili and cheese poured into them.

And NO beans, dad gummit!!!
I remember the ladies in the school cafeteria serving these Frito pies for lunch, we each got the Frito bag with chili, cheeese and onions and had red beans on the side. We got Mother to making them, little Frito bag and all and of course she made her chili, so it was one of our all time favorites. Dairy Queen used to have these Frito pies, and I think they did used Wolfe Brand Chili. I don't know if the ladies at school made the chili or not, but believe it or not, it was good.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:42 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
To really be a Texan, I agree with most of the posts:

Any red bean you cook better be a pinto.

Green limas--for northerners. Large white limas cooked right become butter beans and a Texas tradition.

Leave those beans out of chili.

Leave that sugar out of corn bread. Yuk.

And eat those black eyed peas every chance you get.

Honestly, pintos, black eyes, and butter beans are great and cheap protein substitutes. My mom used to mash up pinto beans and make us pinto bean sandwiches when there was no money for meat.
Actually...you sound much more like a southerner than a Texan with all of that....LOL!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
LOL Was it Wolf brand? I aint sure either, Cathy!
It might have been something else, but it was canned.....and all canned chili is just nasty!!

I like my own chili better than anybody else's....and it's made with everything, depending on what I have on hand......beef, pork, venison, turkey.....sometimes beans, and sometimes not, LOL!!

Flavor also varies, depending on what variety of chili powder I use.......I always make my own seasonings, and use just ground red powder (not a chili mix)....or even whole pods, fresh reds or dried.

Now I'm getting hungry.....and chili is NOT a breakfast food....

Old 04-06-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Actually...you sound much more like a southerner than a Texan with all of that....LOL!!!
*grinning* Let's us not go there, Cathy, as we both know it supports my whole premise about Texas essentially being Southern.

(just kidding)

Old 04-06-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
It might have been something else, but it was canned.....and all canned chili is just nasty!!

I like my own chili better than anybody else's....and it's made with everything, depending on what I have on hand......beef, pork, venison, turkey.....sometimes beans, and sometimes not, LOL!!

Flavor also varies, depending on what variety of chili powder I use.......I always make my own seasonings, and use just ground red powder (not a chili mix)....or even whole pods, fresh reds or dried.

Now I'm getting hungry.....and chili is NOT a breakfast food....
Cathy, I was just thinking what with the mentions of canned chili and all, and tying it into the beans and peas thread there, that the same can -- no pun intended -- be said (which is "yuk"! LOL) about black-eyed peas.

Yeah, if NOTHING else is available and I am stuck up north on New Years Day, then I will open up a can of black-eyed peas (and HAVE before! LOL).

BUT...otherwise, get fresh if possible...dried are acceptable. Unless in an emergency situtation (such as happened with me as described above) avoid canned black-eyed peas at most costs!

Old 04-06-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
*grinning* Let's us not go there, Cathy, as we both know it supports my whole premise about Texas essentially being Southern.

(just kidding)
This native West Texan ain't no southerner ....our cornbread always contained sugar......we never ate butterbeans.....and blackeyed peas weren't that common, even on NYD......

I don't think they eat pinto beans much in the typical south, do they? Where I lived and worked outside of Jackson, MS, they had mostly black-eyed peas/butterbeans....

I was able to get regular dried pinto beans and the rest of the makings for good Tex-Mex, fortunately.

I found one Mexican restaurant (a chain)...and they made their chip-dipping sauce hot with Tabasco.....lordy, lordy, lordy.

I like Tabasco as much as the next person, but it is not supposed to be used to make hot salsa with chips!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas