Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 11:39 PM

8 posts, read 7,009 times

Advertisements

Why does Texas only have one major grocery store? That is HEB which is on the same level as Winco or Walmart. Why no higher end food stores? In Washington State there are 4-6 different grocery store in cities over 50k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 07:46 AM

1,952 posts, read 832,511 times
Chip and Joanna made Waco property pretty pricey! LOL

HEB is all we need. The other chains we have here in Houston are pitiful or ghetto.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:19 AM

11,870 posts, read 26,921,654 times
If you think HEB is on the same level as Walmart, you need to take a second look. The high-end grocery stores (Whole Foods, HEB Central Market, even Tom Thumb) won’t come to Waco because the average household income isn’t high enough to fit their demographic profile.

Old 03-10-2022, 10:48 AM

5,474 posts, read 7,769,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHunt View Post
Why does Texas only have one major grocery store? That is HEB which is on the same level as Winco or Walmart. Why no higher end food stores? In Washington State there are 4-6 different grocery store in cities over 50k.
What are you talking about?

Whole Foods was founded in and based in Austin

Costco is in all the major cities in TX. As is Trader Joe's and Aldi. In fact there is an Aldi in Waco.

HEB also has higher-end stores called Central Market in the larger cities that are pretty good.

And there are lots of Kroger grocery stores in Texas and of course Wal-Mart is everywhere.

The main reason why HEB is popular in some parts of Texas is because it just whips the competition in a lot of ways. I would shop at HEB over say Safeway any day.

I've lived in both WA and TX and haven't really noticed much difference. Washington has both Fred Meyer and QFC but they are both owned by Kroger so little difference. All the same generic foods are identical. WA has Safeway but they have declined since being bought out by some private equity firm. I would take HEB over these choices any day.

Old 03-10-2022, 11:33 AM

5,266 posts, read 6,419,600 times
Safeway used to be in Texas and they were terrible. IMO Texas metros generally have more and better grocery store options than anywhere else in the US.

Old 03-10-2022, 12:02 PM

3,182 posts, read 2,070,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Safeway used to be in Texas and they were terrible. IMO Texas metros generally have more and better grocery store options than anywhere else in the US.
Nah. I like DC's options better (Wegman's, Giant) and I'm sure there are others that have better grocery options than Texas cities. Other than HEB, none of the other local full service stores (Kroger, Randall's, Tom Thumb, etc) are that great - basically all are on par with somewhere like Safeway imo.

With that said, HEB alone is better than most other grocery chains. The competitors just aren't all that good.

Old 03-11-2022, 01:09 PM

5,266 posts, read 6,419,600 times
Quote:
Nah. I like DC's options better (Wegman's, Giant)

I googled a few of those stores, and they look like dumpy strip mall versions of Albertsons or whatever other average grocery store, or the 'small town version' of HEB. They wouldn't be able to compete in a major Texas metro.

Old 03-12-2022, 06:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,077,988 times
We don't even HAVE HEB in the Tyler metro - we have Brookshires (not Brookshire Brothers). We also have some other specialty grocery stores like Natural Grocers and Sprouts and WalMart grocery stores (I hate Walmart - don't get me started). But I've always heard that there's a sort of informal agreement between Brookshires and HEB for HEB not to move into NE Texas. Who knows? Brookshires has their regional warehouse and headquarters here.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:38 AM

3,908 posts, read 2,222,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We don't even HAVE HEB in the Tyler metro - we have Brookshires (not Brookshire Brothers). We also have some other specialty grocery stores like Natural Grocers and Sprouts and WalMart grocery stores (I hate Walmart - don't get me started). But I've always heard that there's a sort of informal agreement between Brookshires and HEB for HEB not to move into NE Texas. Who knows? Brookshires has their regional warehouse and headquarters here.
Is Super 1 part of the Brookshires family?

Old 03-12-2022, 06:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,077,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Is Super 1 part of the Brookshires family?
Yes. So is Fresh.

Brookshires and Brookshire Brothers are part of a bigger Brookshire family but they split many years ago. Decades ago from what I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas