Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 04:18 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
You're definitely not going to find anyplace as liberal and loose as Austin anywhere else in Texas though, just being honest about that.
This is quite the exaggeration. Maybe this was true 20 years ago, but the differences have been narrowing each passing year. Oak Lawn in Dallas and Montrose in Houston are actual gayborhoods, which is something Austin lacks. A lot of people I know from Austin actually come up to visit Dallas's Oak Lawn quite often. There's plenty of liberal pockets in Dallas proper and the city & county votes consistently blue. Is it San Fran or even Portland blue? No. But it's definitely not conservative. On top of that, the larger city size of Dallas also means the police focus more on serious crime vs. smaller petty stuff. I'm actually more likely to be ticketed for jaywalking in Austin than in Dallas.

Austin is more loose when it comes to "laid back" fashion. I don't find people there more tolerant or open-minded than Dallas or Houston when it comes to issues regarding sexuality, race, etc. Fort Worth and to a lesser extent San Antonio are more conservative in that regard, although they tend to be laid back in terms of fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 02:41 PM

11,812 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdz1979 View Post
Referencing the bolded, in what sense? Obviously you're not that familiar with Texas.
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I was wondering that, as well. For example, my son, born and raised in Austin, and his best friend, ditto, both in their 40's, say that San Antonio reminds them of the Austin they knew and loved, and Austin no longer does. (To live in, not to visit, by the way.) The OP has nailed what's happened to Austin in this post:

"This city has gone from being focused on quality of life efforts to quality of lifestyle efforts.
Self awareness has been discarded and replaced with the sole desire of being self centered."
I was born in FortWorth. Lived in DFW for a considerable period of time, moved to Chicago, Los Angeles, Atlanta, and Seattle, Only recently moved back to Texas, primarily Austin for a job. But I've been to DFW, Houston and San Antonio. All three of those cities are fairly conservative. Sure like any city there are going to be pockets that are different, but from my experience, asside from the basic infrastructure, there's nothing cultural wise in Austin that remotely reminds me of San Antonio, DFW, or Houston ... Austin reminds me much more of California than any other place in Texas. There are pockets of DFW & Houston that slightly remind me of Los Angeles but more so because the size than the culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
This is quite the exaggeration. Maybe this was true 20 years ago, but the differences have been narrowing each passing year. Oak Lawn in Dallas and Montrose in Houston are actual gayborhoods, which is something Austin lacks. A lot of people I know from Austin actually come up to visit Dallas's Oak Lawn quite often. There's plenty of liberal pockets in Dallas proper and the city & county votes consistently blue. Is it San Fran or even Portland blue? No. But it's definitely not conservative. On top of that, the larger city size of Dallas also means the police focus more on serious crime vs. smaller petty stuff. I'm actually more likely to be ticketed for jaywalking in Austin than in Dallas.

Austin is more loose when it comes to "laid back" fashion. I don't find people there more tolerant or open-minded than Dallas or Houston when it comes to issues regarding sexuality, race, etc. Fort Worth and to a lesser extent San Antonio are more conservative in that regard, although they tend to be laid back in terms of fashion.
I'm unsure on the general mindset of how people in Austin take to homosexuality or for that matter, any anti-conservative mindset, although I personally have encountered a fairly noticable population of them (both at work and also just living about, not saying this is the vibe of the city, but they definitely have a presence there.) In all, it is definitely much less conservative than any place else I've seen in Texas. I mean we can pick apart certain areas around Houston, DFW, or San Antonio, sure those places will have places like that but what I speak of more so is that nearly the entire city of Austin seems very relaxed about conservative virtues.

Literally, when I am in Austin, I feel like I am in a suburban college town outside of Los Angeles. When I am in Houston or DFW, I feel like I am in Texas.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-26-2018 at 02:55 PM..

Old 12-26-2018, 03:01 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
&

I was born in FortWorth. Lived in DFW for a considerable period of time, moved to Chicago, Los Angeles, Atlanta, and Seattle, Only recently moved back to Texas, primarily Austin for a job. But I've been to DFW, Houston and San Antonio. All three of those cities are fairly conservative. Sure like any city there are going to be pockets that are different, but from my experience, asside from the basic infrastructure, there's nothing cultural wise in Austin that remotely reminds me of San Antonio, DFW, or Houston ... Austin reminds me much more of California than any other place in Texas. There are pockets of DFW & Houston that slightly remind me of Los Angeles but more so because the size than the culture.

I'm unsure on the general mindset of how people in Austin take to homosexuality or for that matter, any anti-conservative mindset, although I personally have encountered a fairly noticable population of them (both at work and also just living about, not saying this is the vibe of the city, but they definitely have a presence there.) In all, it is definitely much less conservative than any place else I've seen in Texas. I mean we can pick apart certain areas around Houston, DFW, or San Antonio, sure those places will have places like that but what I speak of more so is that nearly the entire city of Austin seems very relaxed about conservative virtues.

Literally, when I am in Austin, I feel like I am in a suburban college town outside of Los Angeles. When I am in Houston or DFW, I feel like I am in Texas.

My son has lived in San Antonio for some years, after being born and raised in Austin (conceived in Seattle) and living in Santa Fe, Annapolis, D.C., and NYC for several years each as an adult. I'll go by what he has to say over what someone who has "been to" San Antonio has to say. Of course, Austin, now, bears little resemblance to Austin then, and not in a good way, but that has nothing to do with politics/conservative/liberal.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
&

I agree Austin is unique within Texas, but completely disagree that Houston and Dallas are more Texan or even that much more conservative. You were born in Fort Worth, which is arguably the most stereotypically Texan of all of the major TX cities. It is also the most conservative major city in TX. Dallas proper is completely different from FW and if you've actually lived in DALLAS (not Arlington, Irving, Plano, etc), you would know that. Oak Lawn, Oak Cliff, Lower Greenville, Deep Ellum, etc. are not what you think of when you think Texas. Neither is Uptown or Oak Lawn, which are more like LA's west side than anywhere I've seen in TX except for some pockets in Houston (sans the hills).

Dallas is often stereotyped as LA's more image conscious and flashy side, while the vibe of Austin is stereotyped as LA's more chill and laid back beach communities. But flashy vs. laid back has little to do with politics. FW is more laid back than Dallas fashion-wise, but politically more conservative. Regardless of what you think, Dallas County does not vote conservative. That is a fact and you can easily google the election #'s for verification. Republicans have just about given up on the county. And on LGBT matters, both Dallas & Austin receive 100% ratings from the Human Rights Campaign (HRC). The city has been fairly progressive on anti-discrimination ordinances.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I agree Austin is unique within Texas, but completely disagree that Houston and Dallas are more Texan or even that much more conservative. You were born in Fort Worth, which is arguably the most stereotypically Texan of all of the major TX cities. It is also the most conservative major city in TX. Dallas proper is completely different from FW and if you've actually lived in DALLAS (not Arlington, Irving, Plano, etc), you would know that. Oak Lawn, Oak Cliff, Lower Greenville, Deep Ellum, etc. are not what you think of when you think Texas. Neither is Uptown or Oak Lawn, which are more like LA's west side than anywhere I've seen in TX except for some pockets in Houston (sans the hills).

Dallas is often stereotyped as LA's more image conscious and flashy side, while the vibe of Austin is stereotyped as LA's more chill and laid back beach communities. But flashy vs. laid back has little to do with politics. FW is more laid back than Dallas fashion-wise, but politically more conservative. Regardless of what you think, Dallas County does not vote conservative. That is a fact and you can easily google the election #'s for verification. Republicans have just about given up on the county. And on LGBT matters, both Dallas & Austin receive 100% ratings from the Human Rights Campaign (HRC). The city has been fairly progressive on anti-discrimination ordinances.
I've seen them all.

I also already stated there were areas in DFW that did remind me of LA, but when considering the Metro as a WHOLE - is not on par with what is seen in Austin, as Austin's ENTIRE Metro is mostly a Californian Vibe, DFW only has specific areas with that vibe. I'm considering the entire metro, and not just a few neighborhoods.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I've seen them all.

I also already stated there were areas in DFW that did remind me of LA, but when considering the Metro as a WHOLE - is not on par with what is seen in Austin, as Austin's ENTIRE Metro is mostly a Californian Vibe, DFW only has specific areas with that vibe. I'm considering the entire metro, and not just a few neighborhoods.
Even on a metro basis, the Californian vibe falls off once you get further away from Central Austin. Round Rock, Georgetown, Cedar Park, Kyle, etc. certainly don't feel like Cali. The western areas of the Austin metro, while hilly and scenic, are still pretty politically conservative.

And it's still an apples vs. oranges comparison when you consider the size differences between DFW and Austin metros. Dallas proper alone is more populated than Austin. In that case, it really doesn't matter if Fort Worth, Wylie, Plano, etc. are more conservative -- Dallas alone already has plenty of areas for someone more liberal to feel at home and not just in Oak Lawn. For your average person living in Central Dallas, cities like Frisco, Arlington, Garland, Richardson, etc. are completely irrelevant.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:49 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
Quote:
&

I too think it's a very exaggerated take when people from Austin say there's nothing like it elsewhere in the state in regards to acceptance. Austin has literally copied things that started in Houston (Art Car parade). The Montrose neighborhood in Houston was THE original counter-culture neighborhood in Texas (not just gays but of course it was a "gayborhood" too). Houston is a pretty live/let-live type of place. It was the largest city in America to have an openly gay mayor and that was over 10 years ago (and she maxed out her term limits).

What hurts Houston is it's large city limits that includes many far-flung suburban areas that vote strictly Republican. On top of that, Harris County is very large and includes even more conservative suburbs. It'd be like adding Collin and Denton Counties to Dallas County. If Houston city limits did not go past the Beltway and if you chopped off the rest of Harris County outside of the Highway 6/FM 1960 semi-circle, you'd see completely different voter outcomes. Houston is probably the most low-key party city that is very popular with entertainers. Prince once said Houston was one of his favorite places to party in, among others. The core of Austin definitely has more pedestrian activity but Dallas and Houston has been on the come up. The vibe of both places in their core areas aren't much different than Austin's core BUT they also offer big city amenities that Austin lacks. You just get more try hards in Austin while I find Dallas and especially Houston to be more genuine in their liberalism. Austin has gotten more of the limo-liberal types that has been plaguing California for the past 20 years now.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:23 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,554 times
To participate in the derailing of this thread: I find the California comparisons silly. The big Texas cities are all pretty Texan to me, and what exactly is California: even coastal California is culturally different between north and south and the central valley is vastly different from the coast??

Neither Dallas nor Austin are anything like L.A., Houston a tiny bit, because there is a small something of a coastal vibe there. The only biggish city in Texas with beach culture is Corpus Christi, and in case you don't know, Corpus is nothing like L.A.

If I were forced to agree with the claim that Austin is the most Californicated of Texas cities, it would be because it probably has more in common with Sacramento than any other city in the U.S.: hot ( though Sac, unlike Austin cools down at night), green, state capital, a river runs through it, similar size, comparable amenities, but also huge differences.

DFW and Houston as the two Texas megalopolises have more in common with each other than either has with ANY other city, which is why everyone insists on them being so different from each other. They both have similar development patterns to the other huge sunbelt MSAs - Atlanta and Phoenix, though weather and topography are obviously very different. I marginally prefer Houston: better universities, more interesting cultural offerings, better foodie city, lower douchebag quotient (Uptown Dallas remains the world headquarters of the 30K millionaire), but the differences are kinda minor. Downtown Dallas is more exciting than downtown Houston, but they are both lame considering they are the downtowns of the fourth and sixth largest MSAs in the U.S.

Politically, there is increasingly nothing unique about Texas. Like the rest of the country (with very few exceptions), the cities are blue, getting bluer the closer you get to their cores mostly, rural areas are red and the suburbs are purple. Texan suburbs have tended to be a redder shade of purple, but that looks like it is changing slowly. Even Tarrant county, historically the most conservative "urban/suburban" county in Texas went blue in these past midterms.

Now for the OP, when you say you are priced out of Austin, I am assuming you mean the Central Austin of lore and yore, the cosmic cowboy, keep Austin weird, Slacker, moon tower Austin. There are very similar parts of Dallas and Houston mentioned upthread but they are going to be as expensive. Lower Greenville in Dallas is no cheaper than North Loop in Austin, Montrose in Houston is no cheaper than South Congress in Austin... It is a pity you need to avoid San Antonio, because its Bohemian neighborhoods are lovely and still relatively affordable.

What I have seen people in your situation do is move to the historic small towns east of Austin. East is the side of Austin where cookie cutter development has been much slower to mushroom. It is coming, but driving east of Austin you can be in the countryside in less than 15 minutes - try doing that driving north, south or west. I would say Elgin would be your best bet. 290 is nowhere near as congested as 35 or 183, and there are alternate routes. Plus it has a very pretty: small, quirky, historic downtown, an Austinish vibe and for now housing is cheap. Bastrop is a little further out and much bigger, but still pretty great, and recently three friends of mine have moved to Taylor to buy Victorian mansions for an eighth of what they would cost in Austin... I might also look at Lockhart - 183 south of Austin is not the parking lot it is going north from central Austin...

Good luck in your search!

Old 12-27-2018, 04:40 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,417,337 times
You should check out Eureka Springs, Arkansas. It is definitely gay friendly and beautiful country to boot.

https://www.arkansas.com/eureka-springs

Old 12-27-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Even on a metro basis, the Californian vibe falls off once you get further away from Central Austin. Round Rock, Georgetown, Cedar Park, Kyle, etc. certainly don't feel like Cali. The western areas of the Austin metro, while hilly and scenic, are still pretty politically conservative.

And it's still an apples vs. oranges comparison when you consider the size differences between DFW and Austin metros. Dallas proper alone is more populated than Austin. In that case, it really doesn't matter if Fort Worth, Wylie, Plano, etc. are more conservative -- Dallas alone already has plenty of areas for someone more liberal to feel at home and not just in Oak Lawn. For your average person living in Central Dallas, cities like Frisco, Arlington, Garland, Richardson, etc. are completely irrelevant.
Georgetown didn't feel very Californian.
Round Rock and Cedar Park are pretty much straight out of affluent Los Angeles / San Diego newly developed suburbs.
Lago Vista has been deemed to be approximately 86% Liberal which is the same percentage as Mesquite.
Lakeway, Austin, Manor, Pfugerville are aproximately 60% where as Dallas (proper) is sitting at approximately 57%.

The populations are incomparable, HOWEVER; the Metro's are comparable in the aspect of this... There is a much larger liberal percentage in what is considered the Austin Metro versus the DFW Metro, regardless if the inhabitants consider Arlington, Garland, ect apart of their metro is also irrelevant, its apart of their MSA - the sample size of the entire DFW Metroplex has a much lower percentage when summarized as a whole, and not distinct districts than Austin does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas