Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 06:33 PM

4 posts, read 4,025 times

Advertisements

There aren’t very many jobs here in Atlanta I am originally from California but cost of living is extremely high there I have 8 years experience as a restaurant manager. I don’t mind temp agencies fast food etc., just need ideas on a affordable SAFE city/State for my children & I. We are AA so somewhere diverse would be ideal .... I am considering Texas..Florida..Virginia..and North Carolina. But I’m open to all opinions good or bad 🤷🏽*♀️😉 thanks in advance! I’m fairly new to the site so I’m learning to navigate it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 07:00 PM

45 posts, read 31,739 times
Houston Dallas Austin San Antonio. Everything u listed, these cities can provide. Texas is labeled in Hollywood as a racist state, but that's bull. AAs Latinos Arabs Asians Africans all call Texas home.

Florida virgins or SC... I'm guessing you'll find hella discrimination there. That's the REAL deep South.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:18 AM

729 posts, read 532,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neicyd2011 View Post
… We are AA so somewhere diverse would be ideal ....
Sometimes it helps to spell things out rather than using cryptic letter abbreviations. It took me about three minutes before I realized that AA did not mean Alcoholics Anonymous in your context.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:04 AM

611 posts, read 2,234,208 times
nowhere

everyone should stop giving people terrible advice on this forum just because you want to make your city or state look good all you are doing is bringing people to your state so they can struggle and make things worse for themselves and their kids and waste time and resources

https://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laulrgma.htm

in Dec of 2018 the unemployment rate in San Antonio was 3.2, Dallas 3.3, Atlanta 3.6 and Houston 3.9

Austin was the lowest, but Austin is also the least diverse city in Texas (especially for those that consider diversity to center around the black population) and it is way more expensive than Atlanta especially for any "safe" area

if anyone thinks there are simply "no jobs" in Atlanta with a 3.6 unemployment rate and somehow the difference for finding a job (even in fast food management or restaurant management as the OP said they would take) is going to be .4 or .3 lower much less .6 higher in Houston then one is simply not being honest with themselves or anyone else

all ot the places listed in Texas will not have the same public transportation that Atlanta does and San Antonio will not have the diversity (again with diversity being black) and the diversity (being black) in Dallas is highly segmented between successful and scattered all about to highly contained and less safe areas and poorer schools and lower income.....much the same in Houston, but of course there are probably more no jobs in Houston with unemployment .6 higher than Atlanta

your best bet is to stop trying to move from place to place repeating the same mistakes and uprooting your kids and spending time, money, and effort under the false belief that a new location with very similar things (all fast growing southern cities with sprawl and multiple core areas Vs one main central area) is going to make a massive difference in the ability to find a job or equate to an uptick in quality of life or the ability to afford to live in a better area with better schools

your best bet is to move back as close to wherever you have the largest concentration of family and rely on that support system and get your kids into a stable environment or as close to the other parent(s) of those kids as possible

Texas offers generally noting AT ALL different than Atlanta does in terms of restaurant management jobs (or other similar retail ect jobs) and that is in terms of the quantity of them, the ease of obtaining one, the pay for having one, or the quality of life afforded by having one and wasting time, money, and effort to find that out for yourself is just that a waste of time, money, and effort

all the more so when there is very little chance of obtaining one of those jobs long distance and in massive metro areas with large sprawling suburban populations it will be even more difficult to obtain one of those jobs after moving here that also corresponds with living close to that job and in a safe affordable environment since the hundreds of thousands of people already in Texas looking for or working for those jobs would clearly be after the same jobs that are also close to a safe affordable place for them to live

Old 02-11-2019, 10:23 AM

4 posts, read 4,025 times
First of all who says I have family? My mother kicked me out when I was 12 and my other family members are all strung out on drugs they steal and I chose not to raise my children around such people! If I have the funds to relocate it’s my prerogative ����*♀️�� but I don’t think Texas is a good location either Btw since living in Atlanta I’ve had my home broken into twice car broken into I’ve witnessed two car jackings at a gas station and have had two people physically climb thru the window trying to attack my cashiers at work sooo I have every right to want to leave Atlanta! And Sacramento is averaging a murder every other day so realistically why would I want to raise my children there? The cost of living is super expensive! And if you aren’t bilingual finding a job is extremely hard!!!

Old 02-11-2019, 04:43 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neicyd2011 View Post
First of all who says I have family? My mother kicked me out when I was 12 and my other family members are all strung out on drugs they steal and I chose not to raise my children around such people! If I have the funds to relocate it’s my prerogative ����*♀️�� but I don’t think Texas is a good location either Btw since living in Atlanta I’ve had my home broken into twice car broken into I’ve witnessed two car jackings at a gas station and have had two people physically climb thru the window trying to attack my cashiers at work sooo I have every right to want to leave Atlanta! And Sacramento is averaging a murder every other day so realistically why would I want to raise my children there? The cost of living is super expensive! And if you aren’t bilingual finding a job is extremely hard!!!
I suggest the Fort Worth Tarrant County area. It’s very much so family oriented. Southwest Fort Worth, North Richland Hills, HEB area (Hurst, Euless, Bedford) would all be upgrades regarding safety for you and your children.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:09 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,448,571 times
Is there a baby-daddy in the picture?

Old 02-11-2019, 08:13 PM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Wow, that’s hella racist.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:51 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Wow, that’s hella racist.
Maybe the way he said it was, but otherwise, it IS a legit question: Where is the children's father(s) in all of this? One automatically wonders when reading her narrative and about how hard a time she is having, trying to decide how feasible it is to relocate across the country with THREE kids. That's gonna affect the relocation and HOW and WHERE people would advice her to relocate to. It really changes the picture, because it changes how she has to consider income, safety, which neighborhoods in which cities are a better fit (schools), etc.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:07 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,001,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post

Nawl, he locked up Blood!

I figured I'll keep the stereotypes them going?

Oh brother!!!

Would you really have used the term "baby daddy" if she was a white woman looking to move?

Last edited by tewest86; 02-12-2019 at 11:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas