Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 11:34 AM

431 posts, read 257,570 times

Advertisements

My wife's family is from the Valley. Many of them moved to Dallas and Houston in the early 60's and 70's for work. Now, as they retire they are moving back down. My father in law moved to Brownsville to retire a couple of years ago. The slower pace of life and just the over all affordability of the valley makes it very appealing, despite of what ever preconceived notion one might have of the region. You''ll have most everything you need in Brownsville and surrounding towns minus the traffic of the big cities.

As far as crime, it's like any other area, if you look for trouble, you'll probably find it. Otherwise, it's actually a great place to live. Just ask those winter Texans that come down from the northern states. It may well be where we retire to as well, but that's way down the line. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 07:08 PM

7 posts, read 13,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzmann View Post
If you are from highland Mexico, the heat and humidity in Brownsville from May (April really) to October may take some getting used to... or you may never get used to it.
So far i have seen the weather has been the same as Guadalajara, except the humidity, not sure how different will be in the next months

Old 04-14-2019, 06:48 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
You will still feel Mexican when you travel up north by road and encounter a Border Patrol checkpoint.
Do they stop and check each car, including the trunk? Do they have dogs that sniff the inside of each vehicle? If it is obvious the people in the car are Americans, are they flagged on, or are their vehicles also searched by the border control agent and sniffed out by the dogs?

Old 04-14-2019, 09:25 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times
Most people just cross through with a wave and a hello or "hola" (it's a funny way to joke but it might not always work out so well). They only stop a few cars. I haven't seen one get stopped. Maybe 1 out of 10 get stopped, if that.

Is Brownsville considered a nicer city than McAllen or is it about the same?

Old 04-14-2019, 01:27 PM

218 posts, read 220,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekosama View Post
So far i have seen the weather has been the same as Guadalajara, except the humidity, not sure how different will be in the next months
Guadalajara has cooler weather overall. Wait until the summer, if you can take a Valley summer, you can summer anywhere.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:18 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Is Brownsville considered a nicer city than McAllen or is it about the same?
Brownsville proper is older and bigger as far as population but seems more run down IMO. It does have cooler weather due to it's proximity to the coast, it's a short 20 min drive to SPI. Boca Chica beach is even closer. That's where the new Space-X facility is located. Mcallen is newer, more contemporary, and it's metro area is bigger. The culture is about the same, high percentage of Hispanics as expected along the border. Most if not all Anglos get along just fine.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:14 PM

219 posts, read 448,938 times
We are retired and spent many winters in our fifth-wheel at a retirement park in Brownsville. We loved it there and never had any problems with the "locals". We use to go to Matamorous, MX but always in groups and didn't have a problem coming or going. We also went fishing a lot on Boca Chica beach. There were border guards but they were polite and didn't have a problem with them. Brownsville has a lot of great stores for shopping and it was a clean place to live. Great food and many things to see in the surrounding areas. I would highly recommend Brownsville. Unless, with all this border concerns, everything has changed drastically, it's a nice place to live or visit. We eventually bought a home in Victoria, TX and loved it there, too.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:24 PM

7 posts, read 13,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtxn View Post
We are retired and spent many winters in our fifth-wheel at a retirement park in Brownsville. We loved it there and never had any problems with the "locals". We use to go to Matamorous, MX but always in groups and didn't have a problem coming or going. We also went fishing a lot on Boca Chica beach. There were border guards but they were polite and didn't have a problem with them. Brownsville has a lot of great stores for shopping and it was a clean place to live. Great food and many things to see in the surrounding areas. I would highly recommend Brownsville. Unless, with all this border concerns, everything has changed drastically, it's a nice place to live or visit. We eventually bought a home in Victoria, TX and loved it there, too.
looking forward to go there fishing, i had no idea there was nice fishing spots there, truly excited for that

Old 05-04-2019, 07:51 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,035,334 times
I´ve heard that north Brownsville is really expanding, in terms of new subdivisions with nice houses.

What areas should be avoided? I hear bad things about the Southmost area, and downtown seems, well, hit or miss. I see some nice condos in the Fort Brown/UTB area, but not much else, though the mayor keeps talking about a massive "Downtown renaissance".

Old 12-31-2019, 05:56 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,560 times
I am very curious about Brownsville as well. I hope this thread gets a revival with some more input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas