Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 12:56 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTX View Post
ACU is a small, regional university. It cannot compete with the large, D1 schools for professors, money and/or prestige. I graduated from Angelo State U, another small, regional university. I enjoyed it, but unless I lived the rest of my life around that area, the degree will not carry the same weight as one from TAMU, TU, or even Baylor/TT. A professor working on cutting edge whatever is not going to limit themselves to a small school unless it is Ivy League. ACU, ASU, Howard Payne, etc just can't attract the top talent. Thus they will not be ranked as high.

Having said all this, college is what you make of it. Put in good effort and you will have a good education. Good luck.
Thanks for your input,RSTX.I actually already went to college.I was just curious about ACU since i have known lots of people who have attended there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
In the category of smaller regional private universities, among the best in Texas are Southwestern U. in Georgetown and Trinity in San Antonio.
Okay thanks for the information Watchful.I appreciate it.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Yes college is what you make of it. I know a couple of people who went to ACU and majored in music. That seems to be a commonly sought after degree plan there. One went on to obtain a PhD. They all went on to became choir directors. Obviously these people were not seeking degrees in high paying fields, but instead they were following their passions. Apparently ACU was more than able to fulfill that. I'm pretty sure ACU also offers a lot of financial aid, too.
Ya i had a friend who went to ACU for music and i believe he is now a band director so your story about your friends doesnt surprise me..

Old 09-02-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
They never get ranked nationally. While other Christian schools from Texas (Baylor, TCU, SMU) always qualify to be in nation’s top 100 schools. If you are interested, try to visit/research it and few comparable schools before making a commitment.
Thanks UnfairPark.I already have a bachelor's degree.I was just asking to find out how good of school Abilene Christian University was because i was wondering.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Fellow ASU alumni here, and my BA degree from ASU has helped me earn a Master's degree and be gainfully employed in the DFW area. No, I am not a CEO, doctor, or research scientist, but I do work in HR for a multinational corporation. I received a Carr Academic Scholarship, so I completed by BA with no loans, too!

College is all what you make of it. I recall the OP is seeking to meet a future wife that's a Church of Christ member, and ACU will likely be a great place for him to be able to accomplish that goal.
Thats good that you were able to get your bachelor's degree free of debt.Yes, I am looking for a church of Christ wife but I dont know if i ever will live in Abilene but i have always wanted to.Time will tell.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:14 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
They never get ranked nationally. While other Christian schools from Texas (Baylor, TCU, SMU) always qualify to be in nation’s top 100 schools. If you are interested, try to visit/research it and few comparable schools before making a commitment.
There's a big difference between TCU and SMU's relationship to the Christian Church (Disciples) and the Methodist Church, and the relationships of Baylor to the Baptist Church and ACU's to the Church of Christ.

TCU and SMU are "affiliated with, but not governed by" and ACU and Baylor are heavily controlled by their church affiliates.

You can't call TCU or SMU a "Christian school" in the sense that ACU, Baylor, etc., are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas