Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 08:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

We are having a five foot deep inground pool built. I know we have to have a fence and self closing gates and we are adding child proof locks to the gates. Also, we have keyless entry locks on our front door, keep the garage door closed, and have a dead bolt on the back door. We have a motion detector alarm system inside the house. I am wondering if we need to add window alarms. LOL I hope not! But we'll do what we need to do.

Anyone have any experience with laws? We want to be sure that we are in compliance. We will have to get the pool approved by our HOA as well and a local, experienced pool company is building the pool. Looking for any advice or guidance.

We live in Smith County in the Tyler metro area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 08:34 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
No personal experience, but this seems to indicate windows that open into the area with the pool need to be alarmed, as well:
https://legalbeagle.com/6904763-texa...ing-pools.html

Quote:
Where the wall of the house serves as a boundary, you must install an alarm on the doors and windows that open onto the pool area. The alarm should sound whenever anyone enters the pool. Texas law requires you to install the alarm operation bypass feature high enough on the wall that it cannot be reached by children.
Still looking for the citation...

Ah, think this is it:
https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/D...htm/HS.757.htm

Hmm...maybe not, that says
Quote:
Sec. 757.002. APPLICATION. This chapter applies only to:

(1) a pool owned, controlled, or maintained by the owner of a multiunit rental complex or by a property owners association; and

(2) doors and windows of rental dwellings opening into the pool yard of a multiunit rental complex or condominium, cooperative, or town home project.
Which doesn't sound like you....

Old 01-20-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
No personal experience, but this seems to indicate windows that open into the area with the pool need to be alarmed, as well:
https://legalbeagle.com/6904763-texa...ing-pools.html

Still looking for the citation...
Yes, I saw this and thought "Hmmmm."

I don't know but I hope this isn't the case since we have at least 8 windows looking out on the back yard - LOL. Oh well. If it's a requirement we'll do it.

It's crazy because we don't have any kids and our back yard gates will be locked from the inside. Even our youngest grandchild is over 10 years old and knows how to swim! But I get that the concern is for kids in the neighborhood.

If they are getting into our house, Houston we have a problem! LOL

Old 01-20-2020, 09:18 AM

It appears that some cities apply the 'neighborhood pool' restrictions to private pools; however, if you are out in the county, then this would not apply - unless, ofc, your insurance referenced the stricter requirements.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:25 AM

I looked some more during lunch, and it really looks like the enclosure rules do not apply at all (on a state level) to privately owned pools - i.e. you don't have to put up a fence at all, if you decide not to, unless a city, HOA, or other governing entity requires you to do so.

Now, I SUSPECT that your insurance may reference the public/neighborhood pool regulations, but you will have to check on that with the specific insurer.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I looked some more during lunch, and it really looks like the enclosure rules do not apply at all (on a state level) to privately owned pools - i.e. you don't have to put up a fence at all, if you decide not to, unless a city, HOA, or other governing entity requires you to do so.

Now, I SUSPECT that your insurance may reference the public/neighborhood pool regulations, but you will have to check on that with the specific insurer.
Yes, I checked with our insurance provider and they said we really don't need to do anything unless we WANT to increase our liability coverage or coverage for a detached building (and the pool would be considered such). Which we'll do. The premiums seemed reasonable.

We do have to comply with state and local law and we plan to do that as well.

Honestly, I'm pleasantly surprised with things so far.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:49 AM

694 posts, read 836,015 times
We put temporary motion alarms on back door.... removed immediately the final inspection

Old 01-21-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post
We put temporary motion alarms on back door.... removed immediately the final inspection
Was the pool constructed in a municipality? Who was performing the inspection?

Old 01-21-2020, 02:15 PM

694 posts, read 836,015 times
Yes, Sugar Land.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:03 PM

Who performed the inspection, SugLandDad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas