Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 12:33 AM

606 posts, read 419,615 times

Advertisements

The climates are actually similar. I've been to Texas once while on a road trip. Pretty similar. And winters are short in both places. Tennessee DOES get over 100 regularly in the summer. The humidity easily bumps up the temperature by 10-20 degrees. And even at night it's still hot. It's the worst in July and August. I think a minor difference I've noticed is that east Tennessee seems to get snowier than where I grew up, which was on the border of Kentucky.

I think LPNs (LVN there) already do fit in there due to the massive number of job postings. It's a lot more opportunity for them than nyc I believe. But NY state also restricts LPNs heavily so it makes a difference.

The main appeal for me I think is the possibility of owning a house or townhouse. I've been looking at real estate and prices are good. It'll be may be a few years for me.

Last edited by Montezia; 05-01-2020 at 12:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 07:52 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
The difference isn't day-to-day, probably, when comparing the summers in TN and TX; it is just that the TX summer seems to start early and go on forever.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:27 AM

TN is similar with it's warm weather starting in early March and going on for what seems like forever. However during the spring time it isn't uncommon for humidity to bump temps up. I agree the summers are slightly less tense than Texas summers but definitely hot enough for the seat belt to burn or cause heat stroke.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:57 AM

88 posts, read 54,945 times
I'm close to getting a job in The Woodlands, North of Houston, that pays about the same. I'm in TN now and I've lived in Texas before and am familiar with some of the small towns close to work and am looking at Magnolia or Montgomery for the better cost of living, even though rent has gone up in recent years.

TN and TX culture and people are very similar, but it is slightly hotter and more humid in Texas over the course of a year. TX is a lot more fun to live in as compared to TN.

It's still around $1000 per month for a 1BR with a dishwasher and washer/dryer int the unit. I like the lake Conroe area, too.

I'm not sure where the hospitals are in that area, though.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the responses. I've been browsing different cities for different apartment costs. The lowest 1 br I've seen start around 7-800/mo. But wouldn't it be 1k per month after other bills? There's also the option of studios I guess.

Thanks for input on Texas being funner.

Old 05-02-2020, 07:11 PM

295 posts, read 143,593 times
Try central Texas Waco Killeen or Surrounding areas

Old 05-03-2020, 01:00 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
I lived in Tx. for 19 years. Texas varies quite a bit depending on location. Lubbock is hot, very dry and windy. Dallas is hotter and more humid. Corpus is very humid and hot most of the year, while Lubbock is hot for about 5 months. Tyler has a lot of rain and more lakes. As you go further west, much fewer and again in Lubbock, almost none. Texas is a huge state with vastly different climate. Keep that in mind.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:08 AM

Thanks! I actually met someone from Lubbock and it seemed too similar to my hometown which I hated. Both TN and TX have large military bases. Would Fort Worth (I'm assuming this is a large military base) be comparable to Ft. Campbell? I've lived around that area and frequently went on base. Would it be similar in the abundance of things spread out and new stuff frequently being built?

Old 05-04-2020, 09:23 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
The two biggest military 'towns' will be Killeen and El Paso. Killeen is synonymous to military, while El Paso is big enough to have its own identity outside of the military. Killeen reminds me of a (smaller) Fort Benning in Columbus, GA in size/impact on the area.

After those two, San Antonio is next but I would never think of it as a 'military town'; it just has a lot of military bases/staff blended in with several million people.

Fort Worth has very little in the way of military nowadays, I think, but am not sure. Carswell AFB is now some kind of reserve base? I could be wrong. In popular culture, Ft Worth is the conservative neighbor to more liberal Dallas. To an outsider (which I kind of am, since I have never lived in that area), it is much like one long, stretched out city from Dallas to Ft. Worth.

Old 05-04-2020, 12:27 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
Fort Worth might be the best city for you, now that I think about it. Maybe unless one of the smaller cities has a bouldering gym
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas